Uniform alterations

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2001
      From: Doug: chimera1@...

      Hey, Larry - where are you? Nobody can seem to document
      deviations from uniform regulations, but we do so in our
      re-enactment so we look good.

      Doug: I'm here,
      I was leaving this discussion to the tailors, menders,
      seamstresses, sewers, et al.

      My only input was that the dude that we started this thread
      about is 7'ish feet tall,
      sooooooo
      modification would happen to his coat whether it
      be 1812 or 2001.

      The research I have done and the books I have read,
      all say that Regimental tailors altered uniforms per solider,
      again this guy is the "Friendly Giant"
      SOOooooooooo.........

    • mike dollinger
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2001
        >From: Scott McDonald <raintree@...>
        >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Uniform alterations
        >Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 01:39:50 -0600
        >right o Scott, any tailor or officer in charge would see the need to
        >stretch the spacing between the loops and it would be done. Uniforms are
        >and were a thing of pride they wouldnt be made to look silly. Mike
        >Dollinger tailor for 78th, 93rd, Von Riedesel and countless other well
        >dressed reenactors!
        > >Suzy Baby..........
        > >
        > >.....we are talking about a guy who is damnear' 7' tall !
        > >~ if we did the lace thingie as per Warrant,
        > > he would look like he was wearing a bib!
        >
        >There is a drawing of Big Sam wearing his 3rd Sutherland Fencibles uniform
        >which of course has a much earlier style coat (1793 ish) but it is
        >interesting that it has the 10 buttons down each side lapel which I think
        >was per regulation at the time and in my humble opinion they appear to be
        >spaced a little further apart than some other illustrations of the same
        >type uniform.
        >
        >I'm not really trying to stir anything up here. I know that Regimental
        >tailors had considerable lattitude within the regulations to make certian
        >changes so the uniform would fit and they could add certian embellishments,
        >especially to bands and flank companies, But regs were regs, especially
        >regarding the number of buttons, right?
        >
        >OK I could be wrong
        >
        >Scott McDonald

      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2001
          All I want to say about this is, what do the regs say about the number of
          loops and who are we to alter that?

          Craig
          (Sorry folks I've been away)