Battle of Plattsburgh

  • director
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1 9:24 AM
      Greetings all - My name's Don Craig, I'm new to the list and I've
      enjoyed the recent posts on loops, eyglasses, bathing wear, scotch, etc. I
      must say I'm very impressed with this group's attention to detail and
      authenticity. I've been a reenactor for the past 17 years, in various
      incarnations as ragtag American/British/French militia for F&I, Rev War and
      1812.
      Most recently I've become director of the Kent-Delord House Museum in
      Plattsburgh, NY, which brings me to the topic of our annual Battle of
      Plattsburgh Commemoration Weekend, held the first weekend after Labor Day
      (Sept.8-9 this year). The encampment is hosted on the museum grounds in an
      old residential section of the city, where the Saranac River empties into
      Lake Champlain. This area is in the middle of the site of the Battle of
      Plattsburgh, Sept. 11, 1814.
      The Kent-Delord House was actually taken over by British officers during
      the battle. They placed a gun battery in front of the house, it's a wonder
      the place wasn't burned down by American hot shot, but it survived unscathed
      (except for a liquor cabinet the officers broke into). So we fly the
      British flag during the weekend.
      Our event is small so far - this is our fifth year - we host about
      80-100 reenactors (men, women, and children), and we seem to keep a fairly
      even split between British/Canadian and American troops. We aim to make it
      a quality event, which is why I'm posting here. However, we're interested
      in more reenactors to attend; not to sound too grand, but you're all
      invited.
      Registration begins Friday, from noon on. We plan to have a bit of stew
      on hand for those who arrive hungry. At dusk Friday, there's a fairly
      spectacular fireworks display on the river, right in front of the
      encampment, to get the weekend going.
      Saturday there's a tactical along the river between museum encampment
      and city hall, three blocks away. We've been blessed with 6-8 cannon in the
      last couple of years, and that's appropriate to the original battle
      scenario. We had two bateau with swivel guns last year, which worked up and
      down the river looking for targets..
      Saturday evening is a free feast for all reenactors. In the past few
      years, we've featured a whole pig roasted on site, with vegetables, salads
      and desserts provided by local restaurants and volunteers. This year we're
      planning to barbecue smaller critters like chickens, turkeys and pieces of
      venison, with all the extras mentioned above.. Off-site, we have a
      recreated Israel Green's Tavern, musical presentations, a costume ball
      across town at the local university (free to reenactors), possibly an
      historic film festival at a downtown theater.
      Sunday is another early afternoon tactical along the mouth of the river,
      possible use of bateau moving landing parties from one side to the other.
      Camp breaks at 4 p.m.
      We've increased our stipends this year to $10 for each musketman on the
      field. We also offer a $10 stipend to camp followers who are willing to
      talk to the public in some small way about camp life or their personal area
      of interest. We pay demonstrators and musicians $200, but that budget is
      already filled.
      We offer a $200 stipend for bateau with crew, and $175 for cannon over
      1-1/2inch bore, with crew; and $75 for cannon under 1-1/2 inch (no toy
      cannons). We are always interested in seeing more bateau and cannon.
      Well, I've rambled enough. I hope I've piqued somebody's interest.
      Please call, write or email for details. Thanks,

      Don Craig, Director
      Kent-Delord House Museum
      17 Cumberland Ave.
      Plattsburgh, NY 12901

      Phone and fax: (518) 561-1035

      email: director@...
    • JGIL1812@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1 10:38 AM
        director@... writes:

        << except for a liquor cabinet the officers broke into) >>
        Doug,

        It is nice to hear from you but I must say NO gentleman would "break into"
        anyone's liquor cabinet! Even if it was American.

        I'd venture to say they were probably protecting the contents from
        destruction by those American gunners you boast about. At the very least they
        were ensuring that a gentleman of class and taste appreciated it's contents.

        Sounds like a super event.

        Your Humble Servant,
        JG/RE
      • Armchairadm@cs.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
          Mr. Craig;
          As I'm sure you realize by now; Ship's Coy US Brig Niagara will be unable to
          attend your event at Platsburg this coming weekend.
          Please keep us on your mailing list for next year.

          Thank You
          Ed Bolla
          Ship's Coy US Brig Niagara
          & 17th Us Reg Inf.
          Erie, PA

        • director
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
            Sorry to hear this Ed, but we will keep you on our list and hope to see
            you next year.

            Don Craig
            Kent-Delord House Museum

            > As I'm sure you realize by now; Ship's Coy US Brig Niagara will be unable
            > attend your event at Platsburg this coming weekend.
            > Please keep us on your mailing list for next year.
            >
            > Thank You
            > Ed Bolla
            > Ship's Coy US Brig Niagara
            > & 17th Us Reg Inf.