multiple names on regimental books

  • yawors1@uwindsor.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2001
      I have received the following inquiry from Tod Molesworth, a descendant of
      a drummer in the 41st during the War of 1812, who is researching and
      compiling a "master list" of all 41st personnel during the time the
      Regiment was in Canada. He came across the following dilemma while looking
      at original regimental records:

      Oh, one more question! If there was a
      John Brown I and John Brown II, would the
      number be designated by the date of
      enlistment?

      I replied to Todd that this would seem to make sense... which immediately
      set off the "danger bells" in my head... although it is hard to see what
      other reason would exist: unless it was done by company i.e. "john brown I"
      was in Company #2 and "john Brown II" was in Company #6 etc... but this
      seems a stretch.

      Can anybody confirm what the rule was in such instances? I guess if nobody
      knows for sure, Tod could try and find the original dates of enlistment in
      other records & see if the "date of enlistment" rule would be valid....

      Jim
      1/41st