re unit listing 5.0

  • Chewie
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 24, 2001
      Is this list open to any correct period
      ( 1812 ) units , or only to those based,
      fighting in N.America area .
      If the former , could you please include ,
      50th ( West Kent ) Regiment
      aka Dirty Half Hundred .
      Yours
      Chewie
      unit commander

    • Scott McDonald
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 24, 2001
        Thought there might be some on the list who would enjoy this quote:

        Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero
        .. must drink brandy.
        -- Samuel Johnson

        Cheers
        Scott McD.
      • Raymond Hobbs
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 25, 2001
          Chewie:
          Does the 50th have a web site?
          Ray Hobbs
          1/41st

          Chewie wrote:

          > Is this list open to any correct period
          > ( 1812 ) units , or only to those based,
          > fighting in N.America area .
          > If the former , could you please include ,
          > 50th ( West Kent ) Regiment
          > aka Dirty Half Hundred .
          > Yours
          > Chewie
          > unit commander

        • Raymond Hobbs
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 25, 2001
            Private Bateman - you are correct. See the 'Canadian Oxford Dictionary' entry. The spelling with the 'e' is restricted to Irish or bourbon.
            Ray Hobbs
            1/41st
            How come the 41st become experts in the stuff - oh, it's only the spelling!

            "Bateman, Andrew" wrote:

> [...]
          • Drums
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 25, 2001
              I beg to differ. "Heros" drink whisky, as in scotch.
              Happy Robbie Burns day everyone!!
              Ross

              --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Scott McDonald <raintree@e...> wrote:
              > Thought there might be some on the list who would enjoy this quote:
              >
              > Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to
              be a hero
              > .. must drink brandy.
              > -- Samuel Johnson
              >
              > Cheers
              > Scott McD.
            • Drums
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 25, 2001
                --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Scott McDonald <raintree@e...> wrote:
                > Thought there might be some on the list who would enjoy this quote:
                >
                > Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to
                be a hero
                > .. must drink brandy.
                > -- Samuel Johnson
                >
                > Cheers
                > Scott McD.
              • Raymond Hobbs
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 25, 2001
                  As Larry often points out - there are advantages and disadvantages to a College edukayshun.
                  Ray
                  1/41st (CD)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 25, 2001
                    From: Ross Drums

                    I beg to differ. "Heros" drink whisky, as in scotch.

                    My dear Drum Major, is that not whisk 'E' y ?

                    Major Jennings, please, a ruling ?

                  • Bateman, Andrew
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 25, 2001

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 25, 2001
                        Whisky from Scotland (the only real whisky IMHO) is spelled without
                        an "e". All other pretenders, American Bourbon and Irish, are
                        properly spelt with an "e".
                        Ross

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 25, 2001
                          Now Andrew, don't get me started on the upstart Canadian rye. "If
                          it's no Scottish, its crap!"
                          Ross

                          --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "Bateman, Andrew" <abateman@g...> wrote:

> [...]
                        • Bateman, Andrew
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 25, 2001

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 25, 2001

                              I love a good Scotch as much as anyone, but you have to remember that some
                              "traditions" don't have as much history as we would wish them to. Whisky
                              snobbery is a very modern and very bourgeois phenomenon. It is not
                              appropriate for an 1812 persona, rich or poor. The seeds were planted the
                              1970's when Glenlivet and Glenfiddich came on the market but the phenomenon
                              did not really explode until the 90's. In 2001 it is possible to go from
                              being a non-drinker who knows nothing about spirits to a raging single malt
                              snob in the length of time it takes to read an article about Scotch in a
                              glossy magazine. In 1812 the rich and style conscious drank wine and
                              brandy, the poor drank beer, gin, rum .... and whisky!

                              Scottish malt whisky was a rough and ready spirit in our day - in fact cheap
                              malt whisky was sometimes used as the basis for making cheap gin. And it
                              would have been "single malt" since the column still did not come along
                              until 1830ish and "blending" came even later. The distilling industry
                              itself does nothing to discourage an impression of the antiquity of single
                              malt appreciation, but bear in mind that when you see advertising copy
                              saying "Malt whisky has been distilled on the Glenhumbug site for over 200
                              years" chances are all they have is an arrest record of the local farmer to
                              prove it and the current distillery is Victorian or 20th century in origin.

                              None of this will keep me from raising a glass or three to Robbie Burns
                              tonight, though!

                              Slainte,

                              Andrew Bateman, 1/41st
                            • Drums
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 25, 2001
                                Don't disagree with any of what you say, Andrew. My opinion was
                                expressed merely about the relative merits of the beverage, and
                                nothing about whether any particular liquor's consumption
                                during "our" period would be correct. Some beverages are timeless,
                                nothing more, nothing less. Slainte, and I'll share my flask with you
                                at the next opportunity. Enjoy your dram tonight. I will.

                              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 31, 2001
                                  In a message dated 1/25/01 9:31:26 AM, lalozon@... writes:

                                  << From: Ross Drums

                                  I beg to differ. "Heros" drink whisky, as in scotch.

                                  My dear Drum Major, is that not whisk 'E' y ?

                                  Major Jennings, please, a ruling ? >>

                                  whiskEy is corn trash made by colonials, or rye rot from russians, or irish
                                  swill, by gad and damn yer eyes!

                                  There is only ONE whisky -- and it comes from Scotland!

                                  ;-)

                                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                                  THE Thin Red Line
                                  www.93rdhighlanders.com