Re: [WarOf1812] Unit Listing

  • mmathews@VAX2.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 17, 2001
      >A question Michael ---
      >
      >"should not 1st & 2nd USA Artillery be in the same area?"

      (snip the Crown forces) [don't you wish it was that easy? ;-)]

      >U.S.A.
      >_______________________
      >American Army
      >_______________________
      >
      >1st U.S. Light Artillery
      >_______________________
      >
      >American Cavalry
      >
      >US Light Dragoons
      >Kentucky Light Dragoons (Militia)
      >_______________________
      >
      >2nd U.S. Artillery
      >_______________________
      (snip balance)

      I was told way back when that it was a seniority question and where they
      appeared on the honor rolls. I cannot confirm or deny the veracity of the
      statement, only that it's what I was told. Other's input?

      Michael

      Voice: (507) 285-7585 Cel: (507) 450-3535 Fax: (507) 280-5568
      ------------------------------
      "I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
      - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2002
        From: "cl_1873" <arnt@...>

        Under British Provincials, the Lincoln
        Militia ...... Lincoln Militia 1st Reg't.

        Sir, may I suggest you be listed under

        Canadian Incorporated, Embodied and Sedentary Militia

        The Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
        1st Regt. Kent Militia
        1st Regt. Lincoln Militia
        Corps of Canadian Voyageurs
        Norfolk Militia Heritage Regiment
        Thomas Anderson's Company of Mississippi Volunteers
        Joseph Rolette's Company of Voyageur Militia
      • easeufe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2002
          In a message dated 2/4/02 10:37:57 AM Eastern Standard Time, arnt@...
          writes:

          > Lincoln
          > Militia will be out in a force of three this season.
          >
          > Calvin Arnt.

          Calvin,

          Curiosity gets the best of me. If your unit is only three people, why is
          there a need to have a captain, much less any offficer at all, when a
          corporal or lance-corporal would be more appropriate?

          Ed Seufert, LCpl
          1812 Royal Marines
          1st Co/2nd Batt RM

        • PEGGY MATHEWS
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2002
            Mais oui! Which is why we have the French Army listed just above the non-1812 units (that for some reason have always been on the list). Represented of course by the 21e Regiment de Ligne and the Regiment Etranger Irlandais. I'm not aware of any representation on the list from our French cavalry corps (five different regiments), or other infantry elements (three). Same with the Russian and Prussian units. The Brigade Napoleon, BTW, has it's first artillery unit making application this year, a batterie-a-pied.

            Now, let's see, have I missed any plugs..... ;-)

            Sympathizer? Au plus profund de mon coeur, je suis francais!

            Amicalement,
            Michael, Keeper of the List, Scourge of the Hordes, yadda, yadda....

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
              Larry, I don't mind all that much if we list it that way. The only
              thing is, when we are in the field, we are going as Lincoln Militia
              in the early fall of 1812. IMUC didn't come until 1813. We will NOT
              be wearing the Red faced Green coats that Lincolns wore after IMUC
              was organized. We are going to look how they did before IMUC was
              formed.

              Our rationale for this is 1. It is expensive to have 2 or 3 different
              coats for one war. 2. If we wore the IMUC jacket, then we would not
              be historically correct for Detroit, Queenston Heights, the first
              Fort George. Like with all reenacting, wearing the older patterns can
              be argued that it was used in later points of the war, but not vice
              versa.

              Calvin Arnt.
              Captain, Lincoln Militia 1st Reg't, Flank Company.

              > From: "cl_1873" <arnt@v...>
              >
              > Under British Provincials, the Lincoln
              > Militia ...... Lincoln Militia 1st Reg't.
              >
              > Sir, may I suggest you be listed under
              >
              > Canadian Incorporated, Embodied and Sedentary Militia
              >
              > The Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
              > 1st Regt. Kent Militia
              > 1st Regt. Lincoln Militia
              > Corps of Canadian Voyageurs
              > Norfolk Militia Heritage Regiment
              > Thomas Anderson's Company of Mississippi Volunteers
              > Joseph Rolette's Company of Voyageur Militia
            • cl_1873
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
                Fair enough question Ed.

                We don't need a Captain just yet. I could easily assume the role of
                Corporal, until the unit grows larger. However, the jacket for a
                corporal and captain are quite different, and I don't want to have to
                sew two jackets. That is a lot of time, and a small amount of
                financial investement. If I go as captain right away, I never have to
                worry about another coat. Plus, we are planning on growing &
                expanding, so eventually a captain will be necessary. At the 200th
                anniversary I am quite certain that Lincoln Militia will be the toast
                of the town in the Niagara region, so we are building now for a large
                unit to show off to the press in 2012.

                Calvin.

                --- In WarOf1812@y..., easeufe@a... wrote:
                > Calvin,
                >
                > Curiosity gets the best of me. If your unit is only three people,
                why is
                > there a need to have a captain, much less any offficer at all, when
                > corporal or lance-corporal would be more appropriate?
                >
                > Ed Seufert, LCpl
                > 1812 Royal Marines
                > 1st Co/2nd Batt RM

              • Kevin Windsor
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
                  Does this mean that French canons have feet? Or can they not afford wheels and have to carry it everywhere?
                  Sheesh leave it to the French!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
                    In a message dated 2/6/02 10:40:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, arnt@...
                    writes:

                    > and a small amount of financial investement. If I go as captain right away,
                    > I never have to worry about another coat. Plus, we are planning on growing &

                    Fair enough answer. At imes you have to take choices in the hobby and
                    sometimes convenience or economic necessity must have precedence over
                    historical accuracy. We too plan to have 12-15 members in our unit
                    eventually and if I'm lucky and the membership still wants me as CO, I may
                    have to make a Sergeants coat. For now, I remain a LCpl in command of 6.

                    Ed Seufert, LCpl
                    1812 Royal Marines
                    1st Co/2nd Batt RM

                  • PEGGY MATHEWS
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 7, 2002
                      Nope, no horses. Had to eat 'em in Russia. ;-)

                      For others not up on the jargon, batterie-a-pied and batterie-a-cheval refers to foot (gunners walked) and horse (everybody rides) artillery batteries. Foot batteries would normally be from 4 to 12 pound shot, while the horse batteries are 4 or 6 pounders. Though I did see an insistent reference to an 8 pound horse battery in French service.

                      The recreated foot battery will be two 8 pounders if memory serves, both of course replicas. Coming out of Calgary.

                      Michael

                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 7, 2002
                        In a message dated 2/6/02 7:40:20 AM, arnt@... writes:

                        << Fair enough question Ed.

                        >We don't need a Captain just yet. I could easily assume the role of
                        Corporal, until the unit grows larger. However, the jacket for a
                        corporal and captain are quite different, and I don't want to have to
                        sew two jackets. That is a lot of time, and a small amount of
                        financial investement. If I go as captain right away, I never have to
                        worry about another coat. Plus, we are planning on growing &
                        expanding, so eventually a captain will be necessary. At the 200th
                        anniversary I am quite certain that Lincoln Militia will be the toast
                        of the town in the Niagara region, so we are building now for a large
                        unit to show off to the press in 2012.
                        Calvin. >>

                        Righto Calvin!
                        And If one gets promoted by one's General--who also MAKES the epaulets, etc.,
                        for the higher commission -- one may wonder if it's simply a matter of
                        necessary command structure!
                        (Ooooo, Tim...you know we've already had a laugh over that!)
                        ;-)

                        And as Tim will point out, NCOs did not give commands on the line -- except
                        in dire, and we mean DIRE, circumstance. That was the job of them poncy
                        officers, no matter how one wishes to slice it.
                        Then there is the matter of "presentation" to the public --- do we need a
                        Pioneer? (they were there, it's a different aspect and uniform for the public
                        to learn from)...what about a "Colour" Sergeant? And hey...those officers
                        uniforms ARE really different from the ORs -- why? Lot's of educating to be
                        done simply by what one wears....(yes of course, one must then be able to
                        "DO" the part! Without saying!)

                        B.
                        Current Major, sometime Col., sometime "Brigadier"....
                        93rd SHRoFLHU
                        THE Thin Red Line
                        www.93rdhighlanders.com