Re: Officers

  • Frederick Fishell
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 4, 2001
      personally I have not encountered the
      > phenomenon of one of them commanding on the field.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Tim
      Dear Tim:
      At the, to my knowledge, only re-enactment of the battle of
      Bladensburg a few years ago, a certain self-proclaimed officer in the
      Horse Artillery put himself forward to "command the British side" and
      proceeded to give nonsensical orders which the redcoats mostly
      ignored in favour of those of a corporal. It was to say the least
      somewhat ludicrous.
    • fullerfamily@sprintmail.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 4, 2001
        --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, " Frederick Fishell" <fishell@i...>
        wrote:
        > personally I have not encountered the
        > > phenomenon of one of them commanding on the field.
        > >
        > > Cheers
        > >
        > > Tim
        > Dear Tim:
        > At the, to my knowledge, only re-enactment of the battle of
        > Bladensburg a few years ago, a certain self-proclaimed officer in
        the
        > Horse Artillery put himself forward to "command the British side"
        and
        > proceeded to give nonsensical orders which the redcoats mostly
        > ignored in favour of those of a corporal. It was to say the least
        > somewhat ludicrous.

        Wasn't there, but at an event we were at last year a certain
        supernumerary officer sitting on his keyster found fit to bark out
        orders at us anyway...he got the same treatment as the Horse
        Artillery guy at Bladensburg.....:^)

        Roger
        3/95th (Rifles)

        TODAY IN RIFLE BRIGADE HISTORY:
        4 January 1809: Retreat of CORUNNA;
        1st Bn. lost a few men.
      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 4, 2001
          In a message dated 1/4/2001 7:38:11 AM Central Standard Time,
          fullerfamily@... writes:

          << > Dear Tim:
          > At the, to my knowledge, only re-enactment of the battle of
          > Bladensburg a few years ago, a certain self-proclaimed officer in
          the
          > Horse Artillery put himself forward to "command the British side"
          and
          > proceeded to give nonsensical orders which the redcoats mostly
          > ignored in favour of those of a corporal. It was to say the least
          > somewhat ludicrous.

          Wasn't there, but at an event we were at last year a certain
          supernumerary officer sitting on his keyster found fit to bark out
          orders at us anyway...he got the same treatment as the Horse
          Artillery guy at Bladensburg.....:^)

          This sounds like an excellent example of a particular hobby horse of mine,
          that sites should NOT be involved in the command structure in any way. I am
          assuming here that someone connected with the site gave them permission to
          come on to the field.

          Also an example of why we should always have our own officers, who everyone
          knows, running things. At Mississenewa this year (which has for many years
          has used the NABB staff system) neither I nor Benton could attend, so the
          command naturally fell to Steve Hartwick as the next senior member of the
          Staff attending. Everyone knew exactly where they stood, and who was who.

          If someone wants to dress up, that's all well and good, but the idea of them
          just turning up and exercising any sort of command is madness.

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 4, 2001
            Tim wrote:

            " ..... If someone wants to dress up, that's all well and good,
            but the idea of them just turning up and exercising any sort
            of command is madness.

            Larry writes:

            MADNESS!!!!!! y'a say,
            then he doesn't want to be an officer
            he wants to be KING!

            Sorry I got carried away...............

            "APPY NEW YEAR! ......hic*
            ~ the headache has started to kick in!

          • Craig Williams
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 4, 2001
              Hey Roger what about the "TROLL"?
              There's a great example of someone putting on a "pretty" (in quotations
              because it was pretty ugly and inaccurate....the colour was close)uniform
              and playing at being an officer " 'cause I look cool".
              He doesn't know the commands and I doubt he could tote the necessary gear
              and keep pace with a tactical situation without suffering irreparable
              physical damage.
              He looks wrong behaves wrong and I'm positive he doesn't know the role of
              the ranker ,he doesn't know the manual,therefore he is unsafe.

              Tuppence
              Craig
            • fullerfamily@sprintmail.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 4, 2001
                --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "Craig Williams" <sgtwarnr@i...> wrote:
                > Hey Roger what about the "TROLL"?
                > There's a great example of someone putting on a "pretty" (in
                quotations
                > because it was pretty ugly and inaccurate....the colour was close)
                uniform
                > and playing at being an officer " 'cause I look cool".

                Craig... I am ROTFALMFAO... wiping the coffee off my monitor too,
                which somehow flew onto it, when I read your post.. never drink
                coffee and read the 1812 list at the same time, I have learned...

                Actually in my original post I wasn't even referring to, er...that
                situation. I'd tried to forget that one, actually...It was indeed,
                somebody else, at a later event, who is/was part of another unit, but
                seemed not to have a role(?) in his own group that I could discern,
                but anointed himself the commander of others... it was pretty funny,
                I must admit, hearing it; it sounded much like the braying of an
                ass.:^)

                > He doesn't know the commands and I doubt he could tote the
                necessary gear
                > and keep pace with a tactical situation without suffering
                irreparable
                > physical damage.
                > He looks wrong behaves wrong and I'm positive he doesn't know the
                role of
                > the ranker ,he doesn't know the manual,therefore he is unsafe.

                Ditto on all counts. But that is a situation we won't have to put up
                with again... all I can say is, I can't see me putting on the sash at
                this point, as it's not justified, and I'd have no idea yet how to do
                it properly. But I haven't seen anybody else who understands how to
                run a British rifle unit either- most treat such groups as close-
                range volley-firing musketmen, or like a Rogers' Rangers type of mob,
                both of which are quite far from the truth.

                Sometimes I think MAYBE we should become the 7th battalion of the
                60th Foot, and do all of our company commands in German (yes, they
                and the 5th/60th did that the whole period of their existence, at
                company level- the British officers took pains to have the company
                orders translated into German for the Other Ranks) so if somebody
                comes up and tells us what to do, and we know it's a bogus, we can
                just shrug our shoulders and say, "Ve speak no English, mein
                Herr".... :^)

                "A man's got to know his limitations"
                - --Clint Eastwood. :^)

                That's my story- an'I'm stickin'to it!
                Roger
                3/95th (Rifles)
              • fullerfamily@sprintmail.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 4, 2001
                  -

                  > Gossen grossen lederhosen!!!
                  >
                  > I don't think we needd go that far old boy, just field our own
                  command and
                  > play with others who know the difference.
                  >
                  > "Dieing ain't a livin' boy..."

                  Grossartig! Come to New Orleans this weekend, instead of Jamaica, mon!

                  Roger

                  "There's two kinds o'people in the world, son; them with guns, and
                  them with shovels" (Cocks gun) "Now... dig!"

                  --Clint Eastwood, "The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly" :^)
                • Craig Williams
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 4, 2001
                    Roger said

                    >Sometimes I think MAYBE we should become the 7th battalion of the
                    >60th Foot, and do all of our company commands in German (yes, they
                    >and the 5th/60th did that the whole period of their existence, at
                    >company level- the British officers took pains to have the company
                    >orders translated into German for the Other Ranks) so if somebody
                    >comes up and tells us what to do, and we know it's a bogus, we can
                    >just shrug our shoulders and say, "Ve speak no English, mein
                    >Herr".... :^)

                    Gossen grossen lederhosen!!!

                    I don't think we needd go that far old boy, just field our own command and
                    play with others who know the difference.

                    "Dieing ain't a livin' boy..."
                    >- --Clint Eastwood. :^)
                    Tuppence
                    Craig
                  • spikeyj@crosslink.net
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 4, 2001
                      On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Craig Williams wrote:

                      > >Sometimes I think MAYBE we should become the 7th battalion of the
                      > >60th Foot, and do all of our company commands in German
                      >
                      > Gossen grossen lederhosen!!!
                      >
                      > I don't think we needd go that far old boy, just field our own command and
                      > play with others who know the difference.

                      I remember one summer at Fort York when a trio of NCOs we all knew and
                      loved decided that the "in" thing to do was to issue commands in
                      German, so they all started doing it. The only thing that prevented it
                      from becoming the standard for the fort was the utter inability of
                      some of the privates to learn the language.

                      Spike Y Jones
                    • mike dollinger
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 4, 2001
                        >From: spikeyj@...
                        >To: WarOf1812@egroups.com
                        >Subject: [WarOf1812] German Officers
                        >Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:01:21 -0500 (EST)
                        >I do a rev war german unit and we do our commands in german. it aint that
                        >hard to remember what sounds mean what! Could you call the commands given
                        >in the modern US & UK armed forces decernible english? I do a F&I highland
                        >unit and we use gealic. the commander is a english speaking officer he
                        >relays the orders to the liutentant in english who then relays them to the
                        >sergeant in gealic it looks as if we understand the sarge but most of us
                        >listen to the captain and then wait for the drum. I'd like to do a
                        >napoleanic Brunswick troop, any interest out there?
                        >On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Craig Williams wrote:
                        >
                        > > >Sometimes I think MAYBE we should become the 7th battalion of the
                        > > >60th Foot, and do all of our company commands in German
                        > >
                        > > Gossen grossen lederhosen!!!
                        > >
                        > > I don't think we needd go that far old boy, just field our own command
                        >and
                        > > play with others who know the difference.
                        >
                        >I remember one summer at Fort York when a trio of NCOs we all knew and
                        >loved decided that the "in" thing to do was to issue commands in
                        >German, so they all started doing it. The only thing that prevented it
                        >from becoming the standard for the fort was the utter inability of
                        >some of the privates to learn the language.
                        >
                        >Spike Y Jones

                      • Terry Lubka
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 5, 2001
                          > Actually I'm not going to Jamaica this weekend, but I'm likely off
                          to Roatan
                          > before the months out.
                          > Scuba anyone?
                          >
                          > Craig

                          I'll take 5 and make sure they are well cooked.

                          "Now would you like what's behind door #2 or what's in this box?"
                          - Monty Hall, Let's make a Deal.

                          Terry.
                        • Craig Williams
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 5, 2001
                            >I remember one summer at Fort York when a trio of NCOs we all knew and
                            >loved decided that the "in" thing to do was to issue commands in
                            >German, so they all started doing it. The only thing that prevented it
                            >from becoming the standard for the fort was the utter inability of
                            >some of the privates to learn the language.
                            >
                            >Spike Y Jones

                            SPIKE!!!SIT ON YOUR HEINIE!.......SCHNELL!

                            ;^) Craig
                          • Craig Williams
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 5, 2001
                              >Grossartig! Come to New Orleans this weekend, instead of Jamaica, mon!
                              >
                              >Roger

                              "Nag,nag ,nag! "
                              (Clint Eastwood in "the Gauntlet")