Re: Digest Number 4 (and Organizations)

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 1998
      James;
      We first of all have to be careful
      the term "1812/Napolionic" ??????????
      I know ........ I know .......!?!?!?!
      but we have to realize a lot of re-enactors
      out there think the war fought in the Americas
      is "Napolionic" .......
      Also a lot of units that portray American Forces
      seem to shy away from that word "Napolionic" !!!!
      SOOOOOOoooooooooooo If we want to say,
      1812 American War
      and
      1812 Napolionic (European Campaign)
      then I would say that all units portraying
      British or Canadian/British have been invited to
      participate first of all in Waterloo 1990, 1995, and 2000.
      Now if they went or wanted to is another question.
      Also in Baltimore and Gettysburg at the "Napolionic"
      events (European Campaigns re-created in the Americas)
      And the one coming up at Ft. York in Toronto, Canada
      the middle of May 1999,
      I was informed that the organizers have invited all the Brits they
      could and have invited the units portraying American forces to
      come and play as Dutch/Belgiums.

      The North American British Brigade has been in existence
      for some time and I understand it is by invitation only.
      Now that most Brit groups are coming up to standard more
      and more are being invited to join. At Waterloo Tim Pickles
      is the British Commander and at all large North American
      events Tim is commander as well. Benton Jennings has always
      (to my knowledge) been 2IC. Benton is also over all commander of the
      Highland Brigade Worldwide. This group of Highland regiments to
      my knowledge also are members of the NABB.
      The Multi unit organization in Canada is 1BNAR
      (1st British North American Regiment) with members also in the USA,
      but to the best of my
      knowledge, owes it's allegiance to NABB.
      Maybe Tim Pickles, Benton Jennings and Steve Hartwich
      could fill us in on this.
      We also have a truck load of 1812 re-enactors in the
      southern US who travel up to Canada and Mid America to
      events, but as far as "Napolionic" maybe Steve Abolt, Officer
      Commanding the 7th US Infantry could respond.

      Respectfully submitted,
      Larry A. Lozon lalozon@...

      ----------
      > From: James Burrill <jburrill@...>
      > To: IPM Return requested <WarOf1812@onelist.com>; IPM Return requested
      <lalozon@...>
      > Subject: Re: Digest Number 4 (and Organizations)
      > Date: Monday, November 02, 1998 1:59 PM
      >

      > Hi List,
      > Larry has a good point.
      >
      > Just what organizations are there in North America involved with
      > 1812/Napoleonic?
      >
      > I know of:
      >
      > North American British Brigade run by Tim Pickles and Benton
      Jennings.
      > Brigade Napoleon (French forces) run by Bill Teefy
      > The Royal Marines, 21st Foot and HMS Severn in the Cheasapeake with
      Ed
      > Seufert acting as interim coordinator.(I don't
      know

    • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 1998
        In a message dated 02/11/1998 12:26:44 PM, lalozon@... wrote:

        >The North American British Brigade has been in existence
        >
        >for some time and I understand it is by invitation only.

        Well I don't know where this tidbit got started, but it is completely wrong!
        (sorry, Larry!)
        As I mentioned in another post, for going on about 4 years the NABB has openly
        invited and asked for input from any and everyone. I made numerous suggestions
        and sent out questionaires years ago to all I could find to see what others
        thought, what they wanted, what could be done. I suggested a committee set up
        of representatives from every unit and said committee would sort things out,
        decide on field commanders, suggest accreditation processes, etc. Most of the
        response, until fairly recently, has been stone cold silence. So if there was
        any "by invitation only" going on - it was in reaction to NABB! ;-)
        Perhaps there is confusion with this over the fact that the Waterloo 2000
        event is "by invitation only". The NA and ENF are doing this not to be any
        kind of toffee-nosed-elitist-fest, but rather it is an attempt to create a
        standard of safety and quality for the event. If anyone still has some sort of
        prob with that, then take a look at the requirements for attending such as
        Mississinewa 1812!

        >>Benton is also over all commander of the

        Highland Brigade Worldwide. This group of Highland regiments to

        my knowledge also are members of the NABB.<<

        Well now, it would not make much sense for the 42nd of Australia to be members
        of the North America British Brigade now would it? ;-)
        (sorry again Larry!)
        The World Wide Highland Brigade is its own creature. We call it a "Non-
        Association" of associated units. Some units belong matter of existing. By
        being "Highland" of the Napoleonic era, one is automatically a member with
        friends and comrades literally around the globe. There are no dues, no
        applications. All strive to be accurate and recruit new members and to help
        one another achieve these goals. The WWHBrigade just "is". It's a Zen
        thing....
        ;-)

        I hope that clarifies a little butter here....
        Cheers!
        Major Foul-Up B. Jennings
        93rd, NABB, WWHB, SOB
      • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 1998
          Well, it seems the email machine may have cut out part of my message!

          So here is the full text of the possible goof up, just in case!

          >>>The World Wide Highland Brigade is its own creature. We call it a "Non-
          Association" of associated units. Some units belong to the N.A., some to NABB
          (such as the 93rd) some to both and some to none! Belonging to the WWHB is
          simply a matter of existing. By being "Highland" of the Napoleonic era, one is