Re: Officers

  • Col Sjt Jones
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2001
      Larry - for once, I can't find anything in your posting with which
      to take issue. It was well put. I am not against the Officer
      Training Seminar - I think it will have value, provided that the
      graduates emerge with the type of mind set you describe. Doug

      --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
      > Col Sjt Jones wrote:
      >

      > But an individual unaffiliated "officer" who shows up at an event
      > even with a proper uniform and officer-like attitude .... Since
      > they are unaffiliated they may also be rather lonely in camp.
      There
      > is no need for more officers.
      >

      > Larry writes:
      >
      > Kind Sir, may I add to your comment ?
      >
      > In my opinion,
      > I have not seen the 'Officer's Camp' impression done correctly, for
      > some time now ........ some may come close but 'NO Cigar!". That
      > would be a great impression for some one who wants to be an
      > Officer to do.
      >
      > Marquee, equipment, attitude, trappings
      > ... right down to the cook n'batman!
      > _____________________________________
      >
      > Col Sjt Jones wrote:
      >
      > Would you want that officer, even after a 2 day course,
      > commanding you in a field grade at an event?
      >
      > Larry writes:
      >
      > I think within our 1812 Community we have capable Officers and
      those who want to be Officers have a treasure trove of information to
      learn from. Just as we can't get an education from attending Grade
      One, we can't expect an Officer to immerge from a 2 day course, but
      it is a start and after more training, experience, and help from our
      respected officers, a student can graduate a
      > 'Field Grade Officer'
      > ....... in my humble opinion.
      >
      > _____________________________
      >

      > Col Sjt Jones wrote:
      >
      > A training course may upgrade the portrayal skills of existing or
      > potential officers within units, but I submit it will fail in
      > producing acceptable field grade officers.
      >
      > Larry writes:
      >
      > Education can never be a bad thing!
      >
      > As our Officers retire, quit, get old n'die we do need a
      > School of the Officer to train new ones. We recruit musketmen
      > why not Officers.
      >
      > Also, I believe every unit has the right to choose and have an
      Officer
      > if size and portrayal dictates it. I only ask that once an officer
      is chosen
      > that that Officer-in-Training get some 1812 training from the
      Officers we
      > trust, obey and respect now. What better way than a 'School of the
      Officer', with upgrades at every event from those Officers mentioned
      above.

      > In Conclusion, I have seen today's Army Officers try to do 1812
      Officers