Re: Insurance for Sites

  • fullerfamily@sprintmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2001
      --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, BritcomHMP@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 1/2/2001 1:46:56 PM Central Standard Time,
      easeufe@a...
      > writes:
      >
      > << A question for all those who work at or operate the
      > various parks and/or sites:
      >
      > What is the minimum amount of insurance required by
      > re-enactment units to have to be guests at your site?
      > >>

      > You know Ed I have always rather thought the question should be
      "How much
      > insurance will your site provide for us if we decide to grace your
      site with
      > our presence".

      In my experience, unfortunately, most sites answer, "None", then ask
      for our proof-of-insurance.

      Roger
      3/95th (Rifles)
    • David Brunelle
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2001
        Dear Roger,

        In regards to insurance, government sites in Canada have no insurance
        just because no insurance comapny will insure the government and all its
        assests. Its just easier to pay damages etc. with tax payers money. Asl
        you are most likely aware historical sites are not really concerned with
        insuring the re-enactors injuring themselves as they are with visitors and
        spectators getting injured. Thats why they are very sticky in regards to
        third person liability as re-enactors assume the risk of the hobby and the
        dangers of getting insured. Few in fact none that I have found will insure
        re-enactors for 1st person liability during re-enactments. The Battle of
        Georgian Bay event has a 2 million dollar broad policy protecting staff,
        volunteers, public and spectators. Re-enactors must have their own personal
        third person policy. Our policy also protects our partners during the
        events like the towns, Ontario Hospital and Private land owners.
        I'm not to sure about non-government historic sites but I would say at least
        2 million third person liabilty insurance as I understand is the industry
        minimum. And as I mentioned before 1st person liability is almost non
        existant in the re-enacting world or at least in Canada.

        Dave Brunelle
      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2001
          In a message dated 1/2/2001 6:33:10 PM Central Standard Time,
          fullerfamily@... writes:

          << In my experience, unfortunately, most sites answer, "None", then ask
          for our proof-of-insurance.

          Yes Roger, as you know re-enactment is run somewhat differently in the UK!