Re: Palindrome and stuff.

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
      Folks a Palindrome is a word, or phrase that, when reversed, says exactly the same thing.
      'Bob' is one.
      So is 'Was it Eliot's toilet I saw?'
      Simply putting a word backwards ain't a palindrome. Stephen Fry came up with the longest one I have ever seen, but I need to look it up.
      Anyway,
      Happy New Year/Millennium to all!!

      May we, in the coming season, have much of what Othello described as:
      ...the plumed troops, and big wars,
      ...the neighing steed and the shrill trump,
      the spirit-stirring drum, th'ear-piercing fife,
      the royal banner and all quality
      pride, pomp and circumstance of glorious war!

      Or something like that!
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st Foot

    • fullerfamily@sprintmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
        --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Raymond Hobbs <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
        > Folks a Palindrome is a word, or phrase that, when reversed, says
        exactly the same thing.

        Right as rain, Ray, and let us not forget one palindrome which is at
        least tangentially related to the War of 1812, namely Napoleon's
        apocryphal dictum after his surrender in 1814....

        "Able was I, ere I saw Elba"....

        Roger
        3/95th (Rifles)

        TODAY (well, yesterday, really...) IN RIFLE BRIGADE HISTORY:
        1 Sunday, Jan. 1815: 5 Cos., 3rd Bn, 95th (Rifles), at combat before
        New Orleans.
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
          .....Roger....you have far too much time on your hands don't you....

          Craig
        • HQ93rd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
            In a message dated 1/2/01 10:56:20 AM, fullerfamily@... writes:

            << Right as rain, Ray, and let us not forget one palindrome which is at
            least tangentially related to the War of 1812, namely Napoleon's
            apocryphal dictum after his surrender in 1814....

            "Able was I, ere I saw Elba".... >>

            yeah, right, but waszat in french, then, guv?
            ;-)

            93rd SHRoFLHU
            THE Thin Red Line
            www.93rdhighlanders.com