Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Officers from the ranks....

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
      In a message dated 1/1/2001 4:40:16 PM Central Standard Time, HQ93rd@...
      writes:

      << Perhaps the people who will be running the officer/NCO courses could
      include training in enunciating from the diaphragm rather than the
      throat, so that a commander's voice is not lost to a hoarse gargle
      half way through a battle. >>

      Amen to that!

      Yes, its called singing! A (long) while ago there was a programe about the
      preparations for Trooping the Colour for the Queens Birthday Parade. It was
      pointed out that the Brigade Major (the chap who sits on his horse shouting
      out all the orders) go 6 months of singing lessons to teach him how to
      project from the diaphragm and not wreck his throat in a few minuets.
      I can also just remember when all the regiments of Foot Guards had slightly
      different notes to the orders so that, if more than one unit was on parade at
      the same time, it was obvious which officer was giving the orders.

    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
        So Tim if you set your orders to Julie Andrews from the sound of music we will know it's you okay!!
        ;-)
        Leave the guitar at home though wouldn't want to be accused of being a farb! ;-)

        BritcomHMP@... wrote:

        > I can also just remember when all the regiments of Foot Guards had slightly
        > different notes to the orders so that, if more than one unit was on parade at
        > the same time, it was obvious which officer was giving the orders.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Tim

      • Col Sjt Jones
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
          HQ93rd@a...
          > writes:
          >
          > << Perhaps the people who will be running the officer/NCO courses
          could
          > include training in enunciating from the diaphragm rather than the
          > throat, so that a commander's voice is not lost to a hoarse gargle
          > half way through a battle. >>
          >
          > Amen to that!
          > >>

          > Yes, its called singing! A (long) while ago there was a programe
          about the
          > preparations for Trooping the Colour for the Queens Birthday
          Parade. It was
          > pointed out that the Brigade Major (the chap who sits on his horse
          shouting
          > out all the orders) go 6 months of singing lessons to teach him how
          > project from the diaphragm and not wreck his throat in a few
          minuets.
          > I can also just remember when all the regiments of Foot Guards had
          slightly
          > different notes to the orders so that, if more than one unit was on
          parade at
          > the same time, it was obvious which officer was giving the orders.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Tim

          In my early days as commanding sjt of the Imuc I was apparently known
          as the "singing serjeant". I suppose both for my elevated voice of
          command and the fact that my commands were usually attenuated in
          modern fashion - and that my singing voice is high. Doug
        • JGIL1812@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
            In a message dated 12/31/00 11:41:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            tlubka@... writes:

            << Now let the fireworks begin!

            Terry. (taking cover, naw to hell with it. Standing front and center)

            Terry,

            Suicide would've been cheaper and a whole lot easier!

            JG/RE
          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
              In a message dated 1/1/01 4:56:22 PM, chimera1@... writes:

              << An individual unit can decide itself if it wants to have an officer
              from within its ranks or an outsider. If the officer wishes to
              portray himself as a dandy - fine. >>

              As in "fine and dandy"....?

              93rd SHRoFLHU
              THE Thin Red Line
              www.93rdhighlanders.com
            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
                In a message dated 1/1/2001 10:53:04 PM Central Standard Time,
                kevin.windsor@... writes:

                << So Tim if you set your orders to Julie Andrews from the sound of music we
                will know it's you okay!!
                ;-)
                Leave the guitar at home though wouldn't want to be accused of being a farb!
                ;-)

                He storms a trench, gives his leg a wrench,
                His uniform has a rent,
                He ambles when he should quick march,
                He cannot pitch a tent,
                And when it comes to drinking then his cash has all been spent.
                I even heard him singing after lights out!

                High on a hill is a lonely Staff Officer
                Lay hodalady yodelady ho!

                Sorry, pardon! Did someone say something? :-)
              • Col Sjt Jones
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
                  Further to the hopefully humorous remarks I made at the bottom of
                  this, I would like to re-emphasize that the voice of command training
                  to which I referred was for junior officers. It wasn't intended to
                  be elegant or to resemble singing - simply the ability to be heard
                  and not to lose one's voice. Doug

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
                    In a message dated 1/2/01 4:40:30 PM, chimera1@... writes:

                    << Further to the hopefully humorous remarks I made at the bottom of
                    this, I would like to re-emphasize that the voice of command training
                    to which I referred was for junior officers. It wasn't intended to
                    be elegant or to resemble singing - simply the ability to be heard
                    and not to lose one's voice. >>

                    Yes, but the thing is, even after the jokes, Tim is quite correct. It is
                    indeed "singing" as it is the same basic techniques. (Trust me...)

                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                    THE Thin Red Line
                    www.93rdhighlanders.com
                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2001
                      In a message dated 1/3/2001 9:07:20 AM Central Standard Time,
                      sgtwarnr@... writes:

                      << What's that I hear? is that you Tim?

                      ....I am the very model of a modern Major General...

                      Sooner or later we all do a little G&S!

                      Well Craig, having been a member of the Harrogate Gilbert and Sullivan
                      Society, and having done lots of chorus stuff and various principal parts in
                      concert (Lord Tolloler's 'When Britain Really Ruled the Waves' was a
                      specialty at one time) your ON!

                    • Craig Williams
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 3, 2001
                        What's that I hear? is that you Tim?

                        ....I am the very model of a modern Major General...

                        Sooner or later we all do a little G&S!

                        Tuppence
                        Craig