Re: Officers from the ranks....

  • Col Sjt Jones
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
      An individual unit can decide itself if it wants to have an officer
      from within its ranks or an outsider. If the officer wishes to
      portray himself as a dandy - fine.

      But an individual unaffiliated "officer" who shows up at an event
      even with a proper uniform and officer-like attitude has no role. In
      our area (and I suppose we have the largest 1812 events in North
      America) we have seen them. They kind of wander aimlessly around the
      battlefield behind the lines. Since they are unaffiliated they may
      also be rather lonely in camp. We have respected, efficient and
      knowledgeable officers as field and general commanders, all who have
      come up through their units. There is no need for more officers.

      Within the 1812 movement, there seems to be a trend to diverse micro
      units. The IMUC attended an "event" at Gananoque a few years ago
      (and we enjoyed ourselves). There was a three person unit doing the
      King's 8th. Their uniforms were OK. The colour sjt was the wife -
      she came up to my shoulder and carried a dinky union jack. Her
      husband was the officer. Their uncle was the private. They were
      very nice people, but there are no larger formed units in their area
      which they could have joined, or which could have provided advice.

      Would you want that officer, even after a 2 day course, commanding
      you in a field grade at an event?

      A training course may upgrade the portrayal skills of existing or
      potential officers within units, but I submit it will fail in
      producing acceptable field grade officers.

      Doug

      --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@s...>
      wrote:
      However, I don't think that an officer should be excluded from the
      field because he wants to partray himself ----- as a
      > dandy. I think that if an officer knows the drill than strut all
      you want! It would be good to see the officers as upperclasses
      instead of the serjeant with a really
      > expensive uniform that we often see.
      >
      > Terry Lubka wrote:
      >
      > > For those "officers" who prance on the field with know rank
      experience
      > > please stay off the field. Better yet if you want to be a peacock
      then strut
      > > your stuff behind the lines, that's the audience lines....
      > >
      > > Now let the fireworks begin!
      > >
      > > Terry. (taking cover, naw to hell with it. Standing front and
      center)
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
        In a message dated 1/1/2001 4:40:16 PM Central Standard Time, HQ93rd@...
        writes:

        << Perhaps the people who will be running the officer/NCO courses could
        include training in enunciating from the diaphragm rather than the
        throat, so that a commander's voice is not lost to a hoarse gargle
        half way through a battle. >>

        Amen to that!

        Yes, its called singing! A (long) while ago there was a programe about the
        preparations for Trooping the Colour for the Queens Birthday Parade. It was
        pointed out that the Brigade Major (the chap who sits on his horse shouting
        out all the orders) go 6 months of singing lessons to teach him how to
        project from the diaphragm and not wreck his throat in a few minuets.
        I can also just remember when all the regiments of Foot Guards had slightly
        different notes to the orders so that, if more than one unit was on parade at
        the same time, it was obvious which officer was giving the orders.

      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
          So Tim if you set your orders to Julie Andrews from the sound of music we will know it's you okay!!
          ;-)
          Leave the guitar at home though wouldn't want to be accused of being a farb! ;-)

          BritcomHMP@... wrote:

          > I can also just remember when all the regiments of Foot Guards had slightly
          > different notes to the orders so that, if more than one unit was on parade at
          > the same time, it was obvious which officer was giving the orders.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Tim

        • Col Sjt Jones
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
            HQ93rd@a...
            > writes:
            >
            > << Perhaps the people who will be running the officer/NCO courses
            could
            > include training in enunciating from the diaphragm rather than the
            > throat, so that a commander's voice is not lost to a hoarse gargle
            > half way through a battle. >>
            >
            > Amen to that!
            > >>

            > Yes, its called singing! A (long) while ago there was a programe
            about the
            > preparations for Trooping the Colour for the Queens Birthday
            Parade. It was
            > pointed out that the Brigade Major (the chap who sits on his horse
            shouting
            > out all the orders) go 6 months of singing lessons to teach him how
            > project from the diaphragm and not wreck his throat in a few
            minuets.
            > I can also just remember when all the regiments of Foot Guards had
            slightly
            > different notes to the orders so that, if more than one unit was on
            parade at
            > the same time, it was obvious which officer was giving the orders.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Tim

            In my early days as commanding sjt of the Imuc I was apparently known
            as the "singing serjeant". I suppose both for my elevated voice of
            command and the fact that my commands were usually attenuated in
            modern fashion - and that my singing voice is high. Doug
          • JGIL1812@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
              In a message dated 12/31/00 11:41:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              tlubka@... writes:

              << Now let the fireworks begin!

              Terry. (taking cover, naw to hell with it. Standing front and center)

              Terry,

              Suicide would've been cheaper and a whole lot easier!

              JG/RE
            • HQ93rd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
                In a message dated 1/1/01 4:56:22 PM, chimera1@... writes:

                << An individual unit can decide itself if it wants to have an officer
                from within its ranks or an outsider. If the officer wishes to
                portray himself as a dandy - fine. >>

                As in "fine and dandy"....?

                93rd SHRoFLHU
                THE Thin Red Line
                www.93rdhighlanders.com
              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
                  In a message dated 1/1/2001 10:53:04 PM Central Standard Time,
                  kevin.windsor@... writes:

                  << So Tim if you set your orders to Julie Andrews from the sound of music we
                  will know it's you okay!!
                  ;-)
                  Leave the guitar at home though wouldn't want to be accused of being a farb!
                  ;-)

                  He storms a trench, gives his leg a wrench,
                  His uniform has a rent,
                  He ambles when he should quick march,
                  He cannot pitch a tent,
                  And when it comes to drinking then his cash has all been spent.
                  I even heard him singing after lights out!

                  High on a hill is a lonely Staff Officer
                  Lay hodalady yodelady ho!

                  Sorry, pardon! Did someone say something? :-)
                • Col Sjt Jones
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
                    Further to the hopefully humorous remarks I made at the bottom of
                    this, I would like to re-emphasize that the voice of command training
                    to which I referred was for junior officers. It wasn't intended to
                    be elegant or to resemble singing - simply the ability to be heard
                    and not to lose one's voice. Doug

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
                      In a message dated 1/2/01 4:40:30 PM, chimera1@... writes:

                      << Further to the hopefully humorous remarks I made at the bottom of
                      this, I would like to re-emphasize that the voice of command training
                      to which I referred was for junior officers. It wasn't intended to
                      be elegant or to resemble singing - simply the ability to be heard
                      and not to lose one's voice. >>

                      Yes, but the thing is, even after the jokes, Tim is quite correct. It is
                      indeed "singing" as it is the same basic techniques. (Trust me...)

                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                      THE Thin Red Line
                      www.93rdhighlanders.com
                    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 3, 2001
                        In a message dated 1/3/2001 9:07:20 AM Central Standard Time,
                        sgtwarnr@... writes:

                        << What's that I hear? is that you Tim?

                        ....I am the very model of a modern Major General...

                        Sooner or later we all do a little G&S!

                        Well Craig, having been a member of the Harrogate Gilbert and Sullivan
                        Society, and having done lots of chorus stuff and various principal parts in
                        concert (Lord Tolloler's 'When Britain Really Ruled the Waves' was a
                        specialty at one time) your ON!

                      • Craig Williams
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 3, 2001
                          What's that I hear? is that you Tim?

                          ....I am the very model of a modern Major General...

                          Sooner or later we all do a little G&S!

                          Tuppence
                          Craig