Re: Louisiana Purchase Event

  • CharlesPK3@cs.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2000
      --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "Tom Hoff" <hoff4446@m...> wrote:
      > They had
      > expressed interest in finding out if there was going to be an event
      > for the 200th anniversary of the Lousiana Purchase. If there is,
      > they want to start making plans now. If anyone knows if there is
      > going to be anything and you have a contact person would you please
      > let me know so I can pass it along.

      Tom,
      I am currently contacting the Louisiana Parks Department and
      Lieutenant Governor's office for a suitable time and location for
      such an event possibly in or around Baton Rouge. Tim Pickles talked
      with me about this a few weeks ago, and we both realize that a date
      and place needs to be set quickly. As of right now, there is nothing
      official. I hope to post something ASAP. The actual ceremony took
      place just before Christmas of 1803, but as the Treaty of Paris ceded
      Louisiana from France to the US in April of that year, that may be
      the best month for the event. All feedback on that propsed time is
      welcome before things become finalized.

      -Arrangements might be made for British reenactors to protest the
      sale.

      Charles Pecquet
      Bataillon d'Orleans