Battle of Plattsburgh

  • Five Rivers
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 17, 2000
      Gary and I have been booked to do a demo at the Battle of Plattsburgh
      next September 8 and 9.

      Wondered if any of you good gents could disseminate any information you
      might have about the original battle and occupation of Plattsburgh?

      Regards
      Lorina
      fine hand-sewn embroidered garments
      historical sewing patterns & embroidery supplies
      (519) 942-2548, fax (519) 941-7627 http://www.5rivers.org email:
      info@...
    • Fitzhugh MacCrae
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 17, 2000
        --- Five Rivers <lgsteph@...> wrote:
        > Gary and I have been booked to do a demo at the
        > Battle of Plattsburgh
        > next September 8 and 9.
        >
        > Wondered if any of you good gents could
        > disseminate any information you
        > might have about the original battle and occupation
        > of Plattsburgh?

        Um, we had a thread on that a few months ago. There is
        a lot up in the air due to unverified legends on both
        sides, but based on the points that both sides can
        agrre to, it went something like this:

        Prevost and his army arrive at Plattsburg (north side
        of the Saranac River), and find that the main line of
        resistance, well-fortified, is on the south side of
        the river. While the British squadron attacks the
        American squadron at the mouth of the bay, two of
        Prevost's brigades attack across the river. The one to
        the east is forced to cross in the face of heavy
        artillery fire, gets alot of its people across, and
        waits along the river's edge for the other brigade to
        show up (the riverbank affords them some cover from
        the artillery fire, which is very heavy)
        The other brigade takes a wrong turn in the woods, has
        to backtrack, and eventually fords the river about a
        mile and a half to two miles upstream from where the
        main line of regulars are shooting at the other
        column. They are initially opposed by a few companies
        of Vermont riflemen, who are covering that flank for
        the New York militia, who are also wandering around
        lost in the woods, but keepingthemselves entertained
        at the expense of their own cavalry by shooting at
        them (red jackets on the cavalry, loaded muskets in
        the hands of raw, untrained, paranoid individuals
        mobbing through the woods - you get the picture).

        By the time the westrn-most brigade gets across the
        river, brushes off the riflemen, and heads for the
        sound of the guns, the guns have stoppede firing
        because the entire British squadron was taken and
        Prevost has called off the attack.
        Prevost retreats to Canada, blamees it all on the
        Royal Navy, and Macomb, the American commander, get to
        write a victory report that rivals Drummond's version
        of Lundy's Lane in sheer artistic creativity.

        Or, you could read the relevant chapter in "Amateurs
        to Arms", by the late Col. John Elting - at least as
        accurate as my version, buit not so nearly
        entertainingly delivered ;-)

        Fitz

        > Regards
        > Lorina
        > Five Rivers Chapmanry ~ purveyors of quality
        > hand-crafted cooperage
        > fine hand-sewn embroidered garments
        > historical sewing patterns & embroidery supplies
        > (519) 942-2548, fax (519) 941-7627
        > http://www.5rivers.org email:
        > info@...

        http://shopping.yahoo.com/
      • james barnwell
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 17, 2000
          You may also want to read "The War of 1812" by Henry
          Adams, introduction by John R. Elting. Adams cuts no
          one any slack.I think it was Tim Pickles who pointed
          out the really authentic print on the cover.
          Also check out The pictorial was of eighteen
          twelve by Lossing.
          James Barnwell
          --- Five Rivers <lgsteph@...> wrote:
          > Gary and I have been booked to do a demo at the
          > Battle of Plattsburgh
          > next September 8 and 9.
          >
          > Wondered if any of you good gents could
          > disseminate any information you
          > might have about the original battle and occupation
          > of Plattsburgh?
          >
          > Regards
          > Lorina
          > Five Rivers Chapmanry ~ purveyors of quality
          > hand-crafted cooperage
          > fine hand-sewn embroidered garments
          > historical sewing patterns & embroidery supplies
          > (519) 942-2548, fax (519) 941-7627
          > http://www.5rivers.org email:
          > info@...

          http://shopping.yahoo.com/
        • director
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
            Greetings all - My name's Don Craig, I'm new to the list and I've
            enjoyed the recent posts on loops, eyglasses, bathing wear, scotch, etc. I
            must say I'm very impressed with this group's attention to detail and
            authenticity. I've been a reenactor for the past 17 years, in various
            incarnations as ragtag American/British/French militia for F&I, Rev War and
            1812.
            Most recently I've become director of the Kent-Delord House Museum in
            Plattsburgh, NY, which brings me to the topic of our annual Battle of
            Plattsburgh Commemoration Weekend, held the first weekend after Labor Day
            (Sept.8-9 this year). The encampment is hosted on the museum grounds in an
            old residential section of the city, where the Saranac River empties into
            Lake Champlain. This area is in the middle of the site of the Battle of
            Plattsburgh, Sept. 11, 1814.
            The Kent-Delord House was actually taken over by British officers during
            the battle. They placed a gun battery in front of the house, it's a wonder
            the place wasn't burned down by American hot shot, but it survived unscathed
            (except for a liquor cabinet the officers broke into). So we fly the
            British flag during the weekend.
            Our event is small so far - this is our fifth year - we host about
            80-100 reenactors (men, women, and children), and we seem to keep a fairly
            even split between British/Canadian and American troops. We aim to make it
            a quality event, which is why I'm posting here. However, we're interested
            in more reenactors to attend; not to sound too grand, but you're all
            invited.
            Registration begins Friday, from noon on. We plan to have a bit of stew
            on hand for those who arrive hungry. At dusk Friday, there's a fairly
            spectacular fireworks display on the river, right in front of the
            encampment, to get the weekend going.
            Saturday there's a tactical along the river between museum encampment
            and city hall, three blocks away. We've been blessed with 6-8 cannon in the
            last couple of years, and that's appropriate to the original battle
            scenario. We had two bateau with swivel guns last year, which worked up and
            down the river looking for targets..
            Saturday evening is a free feast for all reenactors. In the past few
            years, we've featured a whole pig roasted on site, with vegetables, salads
            and desserts provided by local restaurants and volunteers. This year we're
            planning to barbecue smaller critters like chickens, turkeys and pieces of
            venison, with all the extras mentioned above.. Off-site, we have a
            recreated Israel Green's Tavern, musical presentations, a costume ball
            across town at the local university (free to reenactors), possibly an
            historic film festival at a downtown theater.
            Sunday is another early afternoon tactical along the mouth of the river,
            possible use of bateau moving landing parties from one side to the other.
            Camp breaks at 4 p.m.
            We've increased our stipends this year to $10 for each musketman on the
            field. We also offer a $10 stipend to camp followers who are willing to
            talk to the public in some small way about camp life or their personal area
            of interest. We pay demonstrators and musicians $200, but that budget is
            already filled.
            We offer a $200 stipend for bateau with crew, and $175 for cannon over
            1-1/2inch bore, with crew; and $75 for cannon under 1-1/2 inch (no toy
            cannons). We are always interested in seeing more bateau and cannon.
            Well, I've rambled enough. I hope I've piqued somebody's interest.
            Please call, write or email for details. Thanks,

            Don Craig, Director
            Kent-Delord House Museum
            17 Cumberland Ave.
            Plattsburgh, NY 12901

            Phone and fax: (518) 561-1035

            email: director@...
          • JGIL1812@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
              director@... writes:

              << except for a liquor cabinet the officers broke into) >>
              Doug,

              It is nice to hear from you but I must say NO gentleman would "break into"
              anyone's liquor cabinet! Even if it was American.

              I'd venture to say they were probably protecting the contents from
              destruction by those American gunners you boast about. At the very least they
              were ensuring that a gentleman of class and taste appreciated it's contents.

              Sounds like a super event.

              Your Humble Servant,
              JG/RE
            • Armchairadm@cs.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
                Mr. Craig;
                As I'm sure you realize by now; Ship's Coy US Brig Niagara will be unable to
                attend your event at Platsburg this coming weekend.
                Please keep us on your mailing list for next year.

                Thank You
                Ed Bolla
                Ship's Coy US Brig Niagara
                & 17th Us Reg Inf.
                Erie, PA

              • director
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
                  Sorry to hear this Ed, but we will keep you on our list and hope to see
                  you next year.

                  Don Craig
                  Kent-Delord House Museum

                  > As I'm sure you realize by now; Ship's Coy US Brig Niagara will be unable
                  > attend your event at Platsburg this coming weekend.
                  > Please keep us on your mailing list for next year.
                  >
                  > Thank You
                  > Ed Bolla
                  > Ship's Coy US Brig Niagara
                  > & 17th Us Reg Inf.