Re: Digest Number 147

  • Terry Lubka
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 1999
      > I know it's cool and neat to get to be on TV or in a movie -- that's why
      I do
      > it for living! However, you must think realistically. Remember; it is an

      > industry. A business. Do it for free -- and you are only lining someone
      > else's pockets.
      >
      > Most sincerely,
      > Benton Jennings
      > 93rd Highlanders
      > Actor

      Benton, I like the cut of your "Jib" old man! I have a theory why 1812'ers
      are being taken to the cleaners (CBC production exempted). The War of 1812
      has been in the historical back water for a long time. It's just recently
      that it's getting attention. Because the us 1812'ers haven't been exposed
      to much to the "lights, camera, action!" scene the average re-enactor's
      eyes glaze over. I'm just as guilty as the next person to falling victum to
      this. Not anymore. I just hope others will start to think like me.
      Just a further point. There was a production on "strange hobbies" that was
      shown on the Life channel here in Ontario. I lost count on how many people
      were being interviewed in full costume and were still wearing modern eye
      wear. Maybe if news crews are doing human interest stories we could
      designate a guide to prevent such a noticable errors.

      Terry Lubka
      GLI, 25th US, Cdn Vol.
    • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 1999
        In a message dated 08/4/1999 8:10:08 PM, tlubka@... writes:

        >I lost count on how many people
        >
        >were being interviewed in full costume and were still wearing modern eye
        >
        >wear.

        And that is another whole line of discussion - or actually, it should not
        have to be!
        With all the places and ways now to get one's prescription put into
        "historical period" type frames (and this taking into account those who for
        certain reasons are unable to wear contact lenses), I also always wonder at
        the amount of modern spectacles annointing the history populace. All that
        trouble and expense for hand stitched underwear, tooth chewed leather,
        genuine hand woven woolen cloth, and to ruin it all with eye furniture from
        LensCrafters...
        "Sheeeesh" hardly expresses it!