New Book

  • Dan Groves
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 9, 2000
      Another new book that just came out that may be of interest is
      Richard Barbuto's "Niagara 1814" published by the University of
      Kansas Press. It is available direct from them(see their web site)
      or if you are a member of the History Book Club, it is listed on
      their web site at a $10.00 savings for members. For those of you
      that are wargamers, Richard is a gamer who games the War of 1812. If
      you are members of Magweb, chapter 7 of the book has been reproduced
      there. I have just received "Sword of the Border". I have only
      skimmed it so far, but it apears excellent.

      Back to lurking,

      Dan Groves
    • Col Sjt Jones
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 9, 2000
        I realize that this is not likely what is meant by wargaming 1812,
        but are there any computer games dealing with that conflict in North
        America? Doug

        --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "Dan Groves" <hatsoffdwg@a...> wrote:
        > Another new book that just came out that may be of interest is
        > Richard Barbuto's "Niagara 1814" published by the University of
        > Kansas Press. It is available direct from them(see their web site)
        > or if you are a member of the History Book Club, it is listed on
        > their web site at a $10.00 savings for members. For those of you
        > that are wargamers, Richard is a gamer who games the War of 1812.
        If
        > you are members of Magweb, chapter 7 of the book has been
        reproduced
        > there. I have just received "Sword of the Border". I have only
        > skimmed it so far, but it apears excellent.
        >
        > Back to lurking,
        >
        > Dan Groves
      • Rob Taylor
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 9, 2000
          --- Col Sjt Jones <chimera1@...> wrote:
          I realize that this is not likely what is meant by
          wargaming 1812, but are there any computer games
          dealing with that conflict in North
          America? Doug

          The computer game "RISK" has all the Generals from
          both the British and American sides. And the French
          are in there also.
          Rob Taylor

          http://shopping.yahoo.com/
        • Soo
          Message 4 of 15 , May 28, 2012
            I just finished reading "Hoping for the Best, Preparing for the Worst: Everyday Life in Upper Canada, 1812-1814",by Dorothy Duncan, Toronto: Dundurn, 2012.

            Dorothy is best known as a culinary historian, but this book is an interesting insight into civilian life.

            Sue Too
          • tom4141fournier
            Message 5 of 15 , May 28, 2012
              Dorothy is also speaking at the annual meeting of the Ontario Historical Society in the same rotation as some other guy speaking about the War of 1812. Details can be found at:

              http://www.ontariohistoricalsociety.ca/en/2012__A_Year_In_History_167/Event_Information_646

              Message 6 of 15 , May 29, 2012
                Darn! Wish I was closer.

                Sue Too

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tom4141fournier" <tom4141fournier@...> wrote:

                > Dorothy is also speaking at the annual meeting of the Ontario Historical Society in the same rotation as some other guy speaking about the War of 1812. Details can be found at:
                >
                > http://www.ontariohistoricalsociety.ca/en/2012__A_Year_In_History_167/Event_Information_646
              • MichaelK
                Message 7 of 15 , May 29, 2012
                  There is a computer game. Called The War of 1812, The Conquest of Canada "by HPS. It is fairly realistic though some battles like Longwoods have the order of battle expanded to make a more interesting battle at that scale. It does add to my understanding of these battles.

                  Mike Kinney
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 30, 2012
                    I have a game here called "Imperial Glory". It deals with the war in Europe, but the graphics are really good and fighting a battle using infantry, cavalry, and artillery can be very challenging. An excellent game.

                    Cheers!
                    Mike Jansen

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelK" <mkinney1835@...> wrote:

                    > There is a computer game. Called The War of 1812, The Conquest of Canada "by HPS. It is fairly realistic though some battles like Longwoods have the order of battle expanded to make a more interesting battle at that scale. It does add to my understanding of these battles.
                    >
                    > Mike Kinney

                  • Ray Hobbs
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 15, 2013
                      List:A new book has been recently published on English society at the time of the War of 1812.
                      R. & L. Adkins, Jane Austen's England. Viking/Penguin, 2013. ISBN 978-0-670-78584-1.
                      For a 422-page book, it is not very expensive [29.50 CDN]. It covers a wide range of features of England society at the time, and is quite well illustrated [in b-w]. It contains twelve chapters covering wedding traditions; "breeding"; young people; notions of "home"; Fashion and dirt; religion; wealth; leisure; travel; crime; medicine. It is very well written by two award-winning historians, and I recommend it.
                      End of summer reading, perhaps. I shall be taking my copy to the cottage tomorrow.
                      Have a good rest of summer. See many of you at the Battle of the Thames.
                      Yrs etc.Ray Hobbs

                    • annwass2000
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 15, 2013
                        Sounds like a treat. Hope the fashion section is accurate--amazing how often writers don't get that right.

                        Ann Wass

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 15, 2013
                          Ann: There are some contemporary engravings from the first decade of the century, and a little before. It is surprising to me how varied the men's clothing is, and fascinating to see a bricklayer on a wooden scaffold laying bricks wearing an overcoat, hat and trousers. There is also an old man in a bookstore wearing clothes which come from forty years before the engraving. The clerk is wearing time-appropriate dress. Lots of goodies in the book.Ray

                          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                          From: annbwass@...
                          Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:15:16 -0400
                          Subject: Re: 1812 New Book

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 15, 2013
                            Do you know if this book is available in theUK?

                            With Regards

                            Mark

                            ________________________________

                            To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                            From: annbwass@...
                            Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:15:16 -0400

                          • john.matthew@rogers.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 15, 2013
                              It is available at Amazon.co.uk:
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eavesdropping-Jane-Austen%C2%92s-England-ancestors/dp/1408703963/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376615053&sr=8-1&keywords=Jane+Austen%27s+England

                              John Matthew IV

                              ________________________________
                              Do you know if this book is available in theUK?

                              With Regards

                              Mark

                            • JOHN GREIG
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 16, 2013
                                 The book is available at amazon.uk   I bought one yesterday.
                                .
                                John Greig

                                Northamptonshire.  UK

                                To: mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com
                                From: mailto:annbwass%40aol.com
                                Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:15:16 -0400

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 16, 2013
                                  Many thanks I have already spotted one there! Might try Waterstones first.

                                  With Regards

                                  Mark

                                  To: mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com
                                  From: mailto:annbwass%40aol.com