Re: Brain tanned leather

  • Donald Zorniak
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 1999
      MAXINE TROTTIER wrote:

      > From: "MAXINE TROTTIER" <maxitrot@...>
      >
      > Two questions... first, might someone suggest a good source for brain
      > tanned leather near me. I am in Ontario. Secondly....I do believe
      > this must have been discussed and some of the people on this list must
      > have been involved in the filming. Are we looking at an accurate
      > impression in the TVO programme on the war of 1812?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Max
      >
      > Maxine Trottier
      > maxitrot@...
      > http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

      > We are proud as punch of our new web site!
      > http://www.onelist.com
      > Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services

      Maxine,

      A suggestion regarding brain tanned leather.

      This might be a long shot.

      You might want to try contacting someone on a reserve.

      Speaking from experience I taught on a reserve in Northern Manitoba for a year. I was able to get small amounts of tanned and smoked Caribou, but it did not come cheap.
      I paid in the ballpark of $75 per skin. Tanning by most aboriginals, as a result of my discussion with the locals on the reserve, now a days is becoming a lost art. A
      lot of them prefer to purchase tanned deerskin and moose hide from modern day leather companies. If that is your last result check out tanneries in Ontario.

      I was at a trade fair in Fargo, North Dakota recently and the buck skinners down there had a table full. It was about $50 (US) for deer hide. It seems that is the going
      price. I am sure there are buck skinners in your neck of the woods who can put you on the trail of some leather.

      Happy hunting!

      Don Zorniak
      Winnipeg