CANADIANS

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 1999
      The inhabitants of the province of Quebec,
      which was known as Lower Canada, were
      always known as Canadiens. French for
      inhabitants of Canada.

      Then when the exploration of the Province of
      Ontario started, it was called Upper Canada
      as they were travelling "UP" the Saint
      Lawrence River to get there.

      References to the Canadiens at the Detroit
      area during the American Revolution and
      War of 1812 eras referred to these French
      families who migrated from Quebec (Lower Canada).

      When the two Canadas Upper and Lower
      joined the inhabitants were known as
      Canadians.

      Larry Lozon