25th Anniversary of the Canadian Corps of Voyageurs

  • Jim Keigher
    Message 1 of 58 , Dec 5, 2000
      Tommorow, December 6th, 2000, will mark the 25th Anniversary of the
      founding of the Canadian Corps of Voyageurs.

      This Re-Enactment Society was origionally founded by, among others,
      David Else (current armourer at Old Fort William,) and John Robertson
      (current manager at Old Fort Henry.)

      The group focuses on the original Corps of Canadian Voyageurs,
      established in October, 1812 under the command of Lt. Col. William
      McGillivary.

      Since it's inception, the CCV has expanded to include several
      millitary characters and units that have been involed with Fort
      William and, or the North West Company. Among them are the Regiment
      deMeuron (Swiss), Regiment deWattville (Swiss), 37th (Hampshire)
      Regt., HMS Nancy, and Glengarry Light Infantry.

      Membership includes both soldiers and baggage, military and civilian.
      Members are in Manitoba, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and England. As well
      there are associates scattered from Alberta to Austrailia.

      To all our members and associates, freinds, allies and foes, please be
      upstanding in a toast to the Corps of Canadian Voyageurs.

      Your humble and obediant servant,

      Capt.(Hon.) Jas. Keigher, CD
      Officer in Command
      Fort William Company, CCV
    • shayna121
      Message 58 of 58 , Dec 22, 2013
        Hello All,
          On behalf of the Crown Forces Staff, I would like to say thank you to everyone that participated in the Fort Niagara event last Thursday.  I was blown away by the number of people that participated in the early morning march and the event as a whole.  It was a fabulous way to commemorate this event.
          During the battle, I took the opportunity to stop and watch for a moment.  I think we gave the audience an incredible show.  Seeing the reenactors silhouetted against the snow was a very eerie, and yet very authentic perspective.  Other reenactments will be hard-pressed to show this level of realism to future crowds.

          There are two people that deserve special thanks for this event.  Jere Brubaker of Fort Niagara had the vision for this event at least a year ago and worked very hard to make it a reality.  Everything seemed to be planned to a minute detail, and I would like to thank Jere for all his work in pulling this off.
          In addition, Peter Martin is to be thanked for opening his Fort to us as well.  The two shuttle buses across the border were entirely paid for by Parks Canada, and Peter worked very hard to ensure as smooth a border crossing as possible.  I would like to thank Peter for all his efforts as well.

        Happy Holidays, everyone, and we'll see you at Longwoods,

        Chris McKay