Captain of Engineering

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
      re: Message
      From: Capt. Guilmore - RE JGIL1812@...

      "No beard. No mustache. Prim and proper at all times.
      Even your language has to be carefully chosen and of
      course there are the ladies......"

      I knew it!

      Captain Gilmour, couldn't join the thread without mentioning the 'Ladies',
      the scourge of Fort Erie, New Orleans, etc,

      "Mothers lock up your daughters !"

      ~ although he do cut a right handsome figure with gold lace!

    • JGIL1812@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
        In a message dated 12/4/00 1:07:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        lalozon@... writes:

        << although he do cut a right handsome figure with gold lace!

        Ah... Mr. Lozon... you are too kind!

        JG/RE
      • fullerfamily@sprintmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
          --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com
          > From: Capt. Guilmore - RE JGIL1812@a...
          >

          > "No beard. No mustache. Prim and proper at all times.
          > Even your language has to be carefully chosen and of
          > course there are the ladies......"

          I was tempted to say, "well, that about cuts out about half the men
          in this hobby", but, aside from some bizarre Prussian mustaches and
          stilletto beards I have seen on some 1812ers, I would say that for
          officers and men in _some_ Brit. regts., it would be OK for some
          _neatly trimmed_ facial hair on: officers in rifle and German regts
          (KGL, 60th). Hussars and dragoons (not all). Pioneers. A few others,
          but not many. They were definitely unusual, at least for the British.
          And, just because it was allowed, doesn't mean that the officers and
          men always took advantage of it. When in doubt, shave it off, Spinach-
          Chin! :^)

          Roger
          3/95th (Rifles)
        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
            A fellow interpreter once put it best when he said that "other than a few
            notable exceptions (pioneers,cavalry, other armies...) men in Britain didn't
            wear beards unless they were Jewish or mad." (not that one follows the
            other,,, it's a religious right for one and an affectation for the other!)

            Tuppence
            Craig
          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
              Hi Larry and all,

              I will also be attending Chalmette this coming January and I will be an
              Engineer too, US that is! I also am single, but not so glittery as the
              RE. Oh well, you are right to tell the mothers to hide their daughters.

              Regards,

              Bob