Re: [WarOf1812] Loaner Uniforms and Newbies

  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2000
      Hi everyone,

      I think that Tim's point about "uniforms" is quite appropriate.

      Here in the heartland the Fort Osage Garrison has used our extra uniform
      pieces to gain a couple of new members that are currently sewing their
      coatees. I normally portray a Surgeon, but I have a Privates kit too.
      I am not very good at drill, but I don't have a problem in being a
      regular soldier. When I was in the U.S. Army, I was a Lt. of Ordnance
      and would not feel that I was qualified to command an infantry or
      artillery or any other unit that I was not trained to lead. In the
      Ordnance branch, I surely wouldn't want to lead an Explosive Ordnance
      Demolition unit. I don't want to be found in little pieces all over the
      place :-)! I also am not in any way qualified to command an 1812 line
      unit. As a Surgeon, I am sometimes called upon to act a Adjutant due
      there being no other officer present. I do it, but often not very well.
      I am sure that a Surgeon of the time would be much better than I,
      because he would be involved i the protocol every day, and of course, I
      am not. Guess that's my 2 cents worth!

      Regards,

      Bob Dorian
      Surgeon,Fort Osage Garrison & U.S. Engineer