Note of introduction; new bio. of Brock

  • The Runnalls Family
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2000
      Hello, everyone--

      I'm a new subscriber from Ontario, Canada. My interest
      in the War of 1812 goes back approximately ten years; for
      about half that time I've belonged to "Friends of Fort
      George", though I live too far away to visit Fort George
      very often. Instead I make do with surfing the net for
      information about the War of 1812 and reading books about
      it.

      Which brings me to the question, has anyone here read
      ISAAC BROCK: LARGER THAN LIFE (volume 8 of XYZ Publish-
      ing's "The Quest Library" series) by Ven Begamudre? A complete
      disappointment, IMHO--the first full-length bio-
      graphy of Brock to appear in decades, and it's nothing but
      fictionalized "soap" history. The publishers should have
      chosen a military historian like Donald E. Graves to write
      the book, not a novelist and author of "creative nonfic-
      tion" who makes no secret of the fact that his "biography"
      is intended as an anti-war tract.

      Cheers,

      Gretchen
    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2000
        Hi Gretchen,

        Welcome aboard! Hope that you enjoy the sometimes spirited exchange of
        views as much as I do.

        Regards,

        Bob Dorian
        Independence, Missouri, USA