Loaner garb and Newbies

  • Fitzhugh MacCrae
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
      Jim has brought up a very good issue here -
      I've given this some thought since reading his post
      and would like to share with you all what I came up
      with.

      A number of re-enactor groups have, over the years,
      been very succeessful at recruiting by using loaner
      garb for bystanders who want to play, too. The issue
      here is what level woould they be allowed to
      particiate, and what is the minimum garb and equipment
      needed so they would fit in both to their satisfaction
      and the comfort and safety of those who are already
      involved.

      ?I see this as a two level issue - those who came to
      see the event and decided then and there that they
      wanted to pllay (even if only for that day), and those
      who enquired when and where a given unit was meeting
      regularly, and shows up because they wish to be more
      involved.

      As a start, rifle smocks certainly are a good start
      for those who are going to look like American militia,
      though I suspect something of a different style might
      be more appropriate for Canadian sedentaries. Either
      way, having three or four smocks or whatever
      available, plus some kind of hat, is a good
      inexpensive start.

      However, there is also the issue of equipment - you
      can't have uninvolved militia or whoever wandering
      around unequiped and unarmed; but I, for one, would be
      real jittery in lending $1500 US worth of musket,
      equipment, etc to a total stranger for the day - not
      to mention that it would not be safe to give an
      undrilled newbie a worling musket and a pouch of
      powder cartidges.

      So - what about quaker guns?
      Stock blanks are reasonably inexpensive, can be
      quickly rough-shaped, add a piece of conduit pipe for
      a barrel, a non-functional lock, trigger guard (no
      trigger), simple barrel bands, an inexpensive bayonet
      with the tip removed (you can get one from DGW for
      thirty bucks)? Toss in a canteen with white shoulder
      strap hanging on the left side, a haversack/hunting
      bag on the right, and the person will meet
      the'ten-yard rule' without too much difficulty. Unless
      you know the person well, you rent it to him for, say,
      $25-50 per day, give him a quick course on keeping
      position with others, and let him on the field with a
      babysitter to help fill in the line or column. He goes
      through the motion of firing (can't really, of course
      - he has a quaker gun) and turn him into a casualty at
      some point thats reasonable. Being 'militia', you
      can't expect a lot of formal drill out of him, of
      course.

      For those who are more serious, a fatigue roundabout
      and the appropriate headgear, plus cartridge pouch and
      bayonet scabbard would be added, a loaner coatee if he
      becomes a regular player.

      The reasonable rental fees would quickly cover the
      actual working expense, anything above that could be
      used for unit expenses, or a vacation on Rio ;-)

      a specific individual in the unit should be tasked
      with issuing, maintaining, and recovering loaner
      garb/equipment as a regular responsibility, as well as
      being responsible for the prim,ary first drill.

      Members of a unit could club together to acquire such
      basic starter kit, and each unit could bring theirs to
      events.

      This would, of course, take some coordination of
      effort, but that is not a bad thing.

      You would stand a much better chance of recruiting new
      members by letting them play, in a limited sense, that
      just from watching or reading about it, too.

      If there is any US unit that would like to formally
      adopt such an approach, and take responsibility for
      such garb and kit, I would be willing to donate $100
      US to that unit to help pay for the initial investment
      to get started.

      Any takers?

      Fitz

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/
    • Anthony Wickson
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
        I am in full agreement in allowing bystanders to loan equipment for the day
        at re-enactor displays. It does indeed help tremendously in recruiting new
        members for your unit.
        As our Regiment was deemed to have been responsible for setting fire to the
        White House in 1814, our equipment is minimal and inexpensive, consisting of
        a large box of matches (Swan Vesta) per man. It doesn't really matter if one
        or two of these recruits "leg it " at the end of the day with this Company
        "kit."
        See all you boys at the barricade in January,
        Regards
        Wicko.
        85th Regiment (British) :-)

> [...]
        > used for unit expenses, or a vacation on Rio ;-)
        >
        > a specific individual in the unit should be tasked
        > with issuing, maintaining, and recovering loaner
        > garb/equipment as a regular responsibility, as well as
        > being responsible for the prim,ary first drill.
        >
        > Members of a unit could club together to acquire such
        > basic starter kit, and each unit could bring theirs to
        > events.
        >
        > This would, of course, take some coordination of
        > effort, but that is not a bad thing.
        >
        > You would stand a much better chance of recruiting new
        > members by letting them play, in a limited sense, that
        > just from watching or reading about it, too.
        >
        > If there is any US unit that would like to formally
        > adopt such an approach, and take responsibility for
        > such garb and kit, I would be willing to donate $100
        > US to that unit to help pay for the initial investment

        square miles...

      • Fitzhugh MacCrae
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
          --- Anthony Wickson <fiftysecond@...>
          wrote:
          > I am in full agreement in allowing bystanders to
          > loan equipment for the day
          > at re-enactor displays. It does indeed help
          > tremendously in recruiting new
          > members for your unit.
          > As our Regiment was deemed to have been responsible
          > for setting fire to the
          > White House in 1814, our equipment is minimal and
          > inexpensive, consisting of
          > a large box of matches (Swan Vesta) per man.

          If I buy the matches, would you consider an
          on-location re-enaction?? ;-)

          Fitz

          http://shopping.yahoo.com/
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
            BTW it worries me a bit that people seem to be using an SCA term i.e. 'garb'
            when they are referring to UNIFORM!

            Forsooth me doth think I shall have to adopt ye medieval mode of speaking.

            Hey nonny nonny!

            Tim
          • Anthony Wickson
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
              Where at, Washington or New Orleans?
              Regards
              Wicko :-)

              > > I am in full agreement in allowing bystanders to
              > > loan equipment for the day
              > > at re-enactor displays. It does indeed help
              > > tremendously in recruiting new
              > > members for your unit.
              > > As our Regiment was deemed to have been responsible
              > > for setting fire to the
              > > White House in 1814, our equipment is minimal and
              > > inexpensive, consisting of
              > > a large box of matches (Swan Vesta) per man.
              >
              > If I buy the matches, would you consider an
              > on-location re-enaction?? ;-)
              >
              > Fitz

              > http://shopping.yahoo.com/

              square miles...

            • Fitzhugh MacCrae
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2000
                wrote:
                > Where at, Washington or New Orleans?
                > Regards
                > Wicko :-)

                Dc - otherwise it would not be an historicasl
                re-enactment.

                Fitz

                http://shopping.yahoo.com/