Re: Bringing a flintlock into Canada

  • fullerfamily@sprintmail.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2000
      --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "Steve Detmer" <bigdad@f...> wrote:
      > I am considering attending an event or two in Canada in 2001. Does
      a flint lock need to be registered? What about bringing powder into
      the country?
      > God Bless the Mackinaw Rifles
      > Steve

      Steve,

      so far, no problem with either, acc. to the present provisions of C-
      68, Canada's newest gun control law. I'm not sure about the amount of
      powder that can be brought in, but I bring it in cartridges, pre-
      rolled in aluminum foil packs, kept in a wooden box, in amounts
      sufficient for me for the entire weekend, if I'm firing at all.

      Just declare it all at the border, and tell them you are an
      historical reenactor participating at an event in Canada. Invitation
      papers from the hosts of the event are helpful to show the customs
      people, and keep a photocopy of your original bill of sale of your
      stuff, should somebody in US Customs ask about it all, when you are
      coming back. So far, nobody has asked me that yet when I've come back
      in, but it's nice to have proof of everything.

      Roger
      3/95th (Rifles)

    • mike dollinger
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2000
        >From: "Steve Detmer" <bigdad@...>
        >To: "List" <WarOf1812@egroups.com>
        >Subject: [WarOf1812] Bringing a flintlock into Canada
        >Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 21:11:19 -0600
        >
        >I am considering attending an event or two in Canada in 2001. Does a flint
        >lock need to be registered? What about bringing powder into the country?
        >God Bless the Mackinaw Rifles
        >Steve

        >I'VE NEVER PURCHASED A NEW MUSKET SO I HAVE NO BILL OF SALE.I WENT TO THE
        >LOCAL AIRPORT AND FOUND THE CISTOMS DEPT. THERE I SHOWED THEM MY ARMS
        >{muskets} CAMERAS, BAGPIPES,ARE ANY THING ELSE OF GREAT VALUE AND THEY
        >ISSUED ME A PAPER STATING OWNERSHIP SO I HAVE NO TROUBLE CROSSING BORDERS
        >THIS WAS FREE OF CHARGE.

      • Col Sjt Jones
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2000
          Forget the idea of antiques. That has to do with the old
          regulations, although you might encounter an official at the border
          who is not fully versed in the new law/regulations. Put simply, a
          flintlock musket is not a firearm.

          Tod has published the actual regulation. Print it out and bring it
          with you.

          Pistols are the exception (concealed weapon) and Larry has provided
          info. I suppose blunderbusses might be a gray area.

          If you have a Bess or equivalent, you should have no problem, with no
          money payable. I might suggest that you stop on your side of the
          border (as I do on mine) to get a certificate of ownership before
          crossing.

          Doug

          --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "Annette and Lloyd" <agower@b...> wrote:
          > Starting 2001 do we have to pay the 50.00 to cross the border with
          > flintlocks.?
        • Bateman, Andrew
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 7, 2000
            > From: Annette and Lloyd
            >
            > Starting 2001 do we have to pay the 50.00 to cross the border with
            > flintlocks.?

            No.

            Andrew Bateman, 1/41st

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 7, 2000
              Annette and Lloyd wrote:

              ...do we have to pay the 50.00 to cross the border with
              flintlocks.?

              Larry Lozon writes:

              go to
              http://www.canadianfirearms.com/
              all the info is there

            • Annette and Lloyd
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 7, 2000
                Starting 2001 do we have to pay the 50.00 to cross the border with
                flintlocks.?
              • Maxine Trottier
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 11, 2000
                  "A Signal Victory" mentions that Detroit had anchors that were scrounged
                  from other vessels. No mention of size.

                  Max
                  maxitrot@...
                  http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 11, 2000
                    Annette and Lloyd wrote:

                    Their is still some confusion ..........

                    Well there shouldn't be if you go to the web sites everyone sent you.
                    They all lead to 'Guns are us Canada' !

                  • Craig Williams
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 11, 2000
                      I'm pretty sure that the Detroit is too small for this anchor and it's
                      geographically in the wrong place. It was shipped from England and up to
                      Lake Simcoe, not down from,,,,well just not down.

                      Craig
                    • Annette and Lloyd
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 12, 2000
                        Steve ,
                        Their is still some confusion however no registration and you may bring in 5
                        lb of powder as I understand it now , also no 50 .00 fee because a flintlock
                        isnt a firearm.
                        I will be getting ahold of our host as soon as possible for further
                        information .
                        CHUCK DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ON THE MATTER ?
                        Chuck you are still kind of the col private , should we formally restructure
                        the mackinaw rifles you have indicated your interest in doing so in the past
                        .?
                        Could we consider this at our next meeting.

                        George and Judy , talk to me .

                        Corporal Birkenbach talk to me .

                        Private hoover talk to me .

                        Private gaunt talk to me
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 14, 2000
                          Lloyd writes:

                          Larry,
                          The confusion isn't from not going to the web sight .
                          .......we ask the question at crossing to see what they
                          are instructed to do

                          Larry writes:

                          Lloyd,

                          All gun laws in Canada are governed by the Firearms Center.
                          Call the 1-800 phone number and tell them about your problem
                          an ask them all the questions you want answered. I have been
                          told that at the end of the year when the Canadian Gun Law
                          comes into effect that all agencies of the government, Canada
                          Customs included, will be told what to do about firearms.
                          They will all have to do what the Firearms Centre tells them to do,
                          as do we, the gun owners.

                          SOoooooooooooooo

                          Go to the site, call the Firearms Centre and you will be told what
                          to do.

                          And that is what I said before, or tied to.

                          PS: If they don't do what is written down in the Gun Act, we will
                          send Richard Feltoe to Ottawa to straighten them out again!

                        • Annette and Lloyd
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 14, 2000
                            Larry,
                            The confusion isn't from not going to the web sight .
                            In fact I have copied the sight and 2001 laws to club members and friends .
                            Each time I try to bring this to closure , I get rebuttals and arguments and
                            I herd from so and so .
                            We, meaning Annette and I cross the border average one time per week , we
                            ask the question at crossing to see what they are instructed to do , they
                            don't know , or we don't get the same answer twice .
                            That is the confusion I am referring to . You were reading some of the half
                            notes between letters , off sight and on sight .
                            I thank everyone's input and assistance
                            As well one club member called a port of entry and got totally a different
                            answer than I did .
                            Taking the 2001 copy of the rules with us to the border and seeking
                            clarification only got our vehicle searched for guns . They were very nice
                            about it , however look they did.
                            I welcome any further comment .

                            Lloyd