Re: [WarOf1812] winter garb

  • Sue Draper
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 27, 2000
      There are patterns for great coats, but I think Lorina could better tell you about prefab patterns, if there are any. We use one that we've drafted based on illustrations and research we've done. I'd give you a copy, but I don't actually have it in my possession.

      Can anyone help out? Would anyone be willing to copy theirs and send it out?

      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 27, 2000
        > From: Sue Draper

        > .... Our research
        > says this was a grey coat of heavy wool (usually as heavy, if
        > not heavier than, the coatee), and I've seen some reference
        > to them being lined, although that's a bone of contention
        > with purists since we haven't (to my knowledge....prove me
        > right/wrong, guys) been able to find evidence conclusively
        > that supports this as being true.

        Andrew writes:

        There's a quite detailed article on British greatcoats at the Discriminating
        General website. It discusses materials, lining materials, and even
        waterproofing. (www.militaryheritage.com) Look under "War of 1812 Website"
        and "Articles". Lots of other good stuff there too. This site should be
        considered a British equipment FAQ.

        Andrew Bateman, 1/41st

      • Sue Draper
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 27, 2000
          There ya go! Thanks, Andrew!

          Andrew writes:

          There's a quite detailed article on British greatcoats at the Discriminating
          General website. It discusses materials, lining materials, and even
          waterproofing. (www.militaryheritage.com) Look under "War of 1812 Website"
          and "Articles". Lots of other good stuff there too. This site should be
          considered a British equipment FAQ.

          Andrew Bateman, 1/41st

          eGroups Sponsor

        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 27, 2000
            There is also a fur winter shako that was worn in Canada by the Brits. There
            is a period picture of it being worn by a soldier of the 6th Reg. which you
            can see a copy of in the Osprey "British Forces in North America 1793-1815.
            There is also on the following page a pic of an officer wearing winter gear
            in 1807 thats quite cute!

            Tuppence
            Craig
          • Steve Abolt
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 27, 2000
              --- "David S. Mallinak" <matchlck@...> wrote:
              Does anyone have any
              > information on if US
              > Regular Army issued greatcoats? And what color
              > would be the coats?

              Dave,
              The US Army did not begin issuing great coats to all
              foot troops until 1816. Prior to that time approx. 4
              to 10 "watchcoats" were issued to a company. These
              were to be used for those on guard duty. Watchcoats
              were of thick cloth with materials of a drab color.
              Construction and materials for the watchcoat is listed
              as follows from the National Archives, copy in my
              possession:
              4 1/2 yds Fearnought 6/4 wide
              1 yd Baize or coating 6/4 wide
              1 1/2 yds. tow linen
              5 large buttons
              7 small buttons
              10 skeins of thread.

              For the 1816 issue greatcoat for US troops the
              material list is as follows:
              3 1/4 yds cloth 6/4 wide
              3/4 yd. baize
              1 1/2 yds. tow linen
              8 skeins thread
              6 lg. buttons

              A special blanket coat was devised for the First US
              Infantry. Its description was posted in General
              Orders, copied into the order book of Cpt. Eli
              Clemson. Dave Bennett of the 1st USI can give you
              more details on it.

              All the best,
              Steve Abolt

              =====
              Cottonbalers, By God!

              visit our website at www.cottonbalers.lynchburg.net

              http://shopping.yahoo.com/
            • Maxine Trottier
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 15, 2000
                Is anyone familiar with this work? Leach Hamish A: Founding of Fort
                Amherstburg (Malden) Along the Detroit Frontier 1796: A Political, Military,
                ; Frontier Study

                Max