Re: Queenston Heights

  • JimYaworsky Chairperson
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 15, 2000
      >From: "Craig Williams" <sgtwarnr@...>

      >I agree,but I did see something that made me more than a little angry.
      >Anyone who watched the show without a strong prior knowledge of the war
      >would now believe that Norton and his small but dedicated band were the
      >heroes of Queenstown![snip]
      It is Sheaffe with the 49th and Norton's men that climbs the bluff by the
      old trappers trail and outflanks the US forces.
      >Once again a great historical wrong goes unchanged and a new "revised"
      >history goes forth.
      >
      >Remember, as enthusiasts it is ours to keep the faith.
      >
      >Tuppence!
      >Craig

      Jim adds: I agree with Craig. Though... weren't the majority of the British
      Regulars who Sheaffe led up the trappers trail men of the 41st? Joined by a
      detachment of the 41st who marched from Chippewa? I'm not meaning to be
      unduly picky here - just keeping the faith with the men of the particular
      unit my gang is trying, however inadequately, to commemorate... ;>)

      Jim
      1/41st

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • easeufe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 15, 2000
        Craig,

        Glad to see you're back.

        Ed Seufert, LCpl
        1812 Royal Marines
      • Roger Fuller
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 15, 2000
          Amen- it gets awful loooonely out here, if ya catch my drift....

          RF

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 15, 2000
            Brainfart! gack

            Sorry ...yes Jim you're right. My bad! In Fact the substantial force was
            made up of men from the flank co.s of the 41st!
            But there, proving my point, the general public was left with no inkling of
            the misinformation passed onto them.

            Craig
          • Terry Lubka
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 16, 2000
              Craig,
              I totally agree with you in regards to Norton "winning" the battle. I
              remember hearing a lecture by Carl Benn on the subject of Indians
              during the War of 1812 that during the battle of Queenston Heights 3
              columns of Indians set out on this flanking manouver. It was only
              Norton's column that made it. The other 2 "disappeared". Carl
              theorized that during the march the Indians heard the clamour of
              battle and were unnerved by it. He stated this was not an act of
              cowardous but just plain fear of the noise. Apparently this was the
              first Europeon style battle that the Indians were exposed to. Norton's
              column made it. Why? Maybe because like Craig said they were
              accompanied with flank companies of a British regiment.

              Terry.

              PS - Welcome back.
            • Mike Jansen
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 10, 2007
                If I recall correctly, Crooks' Compamy of the 1st Lincoln Militia were
                there as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

                Cheers!
                Mike Jansen
              • Andy
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 14, 2007
                  On behalf of the 22nd U.S. Infantry, Henderson's Company, I would like
                  to thank all the organizers and volunteers for working so diligently in
                  making this event very special.

                  It was a priviledge and an honor to be part of the march, the battle
                  and the ceremony. We look forward to 2012!

                  Lt. Andy Desjardins
                • Kim Lundberg
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 31, 2012
                    Hi Jim,

                    �� The Mohawks were at the top of the ridge, HIDDEN and moving (fire & move, fire & move) so the Amaericans didn't know how many were there, in fact, they turned their canons to fire up because they thought that the Brits had come around behind them.� A considerabley good strategy by John Norton and his men, which were about 250, strong enough to "pull this off", distract the US force and, allow the Brits to come from behind and clinch the American retreat.� Not too shabby at all and obviously a serious enough threat!

                    Yours, Kim Lundberg, British Native Allies
                  • shayna121
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 30, 2012
                      Hello All,
                      There are a few (almost) last minute items that I need to reiterate about the Queenston Heights event in two weeks.

                      1 - Registrations are taken on a unit-basis, so please remind your unit commander to register at this link: http://www.visit1812.com/events/queenston-registration.html. Updates are greatly appreciated. Simply note on the form that it is an update.

                      2 - When you arrive at the event, you will need to register individually. Each person will be given a card that will serve as a meal ticket as well as a safety card. Without this card you will not eat, and you will not participate in the event.

                      3 - The camps at Fort George will be laid out Thursday morning. Set-up can begin any time after noon.

                      I hope this answers any of the questions you have about this event, but please email me if you need more information.

                      Sincerely,

                      Chris McKay
                      Aide de Camp to General Twist
                    • shayna121
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 30, 2012
                        The link below does not work because of the period at the end of the link. If you remove it, it should work.

                        Sorry,

                        Chris

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
                          One final note (I hope) about registration.

                          If you are planning on arriving Saturday morning to participate in the march, the British will begin forming at 9:00. You will need to register and be ready to form for 9:00, therefore, so you should time your arrival appropriately. The march will not wait for late registrants!

                          Chris McKay

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 10, 2012
                            Hello All,
                            I have posted two files in a folder named 'Queenston Heights' on the Yahoo group site. They are the plans for the battle this weekend. Unit Commanders, please ensure you have reviewed these files so you are clear on your role during the battle.

                            Any questions, please ask.

                            Thanks,

                            Chris McKay
                            AdC to General Twist
                          • roy winders
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 13, 2012
                              On behalf of The British Indian Dept.
                              I'd like to offer my sincere thanks to Parks Canada staff and volunteers,
                              the organizers in crown forces and those people on the other end of the field,
                              also a big thanks to all my fellow reenactors for not only this amazing event
                              but also this past season.
                              Hope to see you all again in the spring.
                              Roy Winders, Capt. B.I.D.

                            • Kevin Windsor
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 15, 2012
                                WOW... What more can be said!

                                On behalf of the 7th Company Royal Newfoundland Regiment I would like to
                                thank Dan, Peter, Elizabeth, Peter, Gavin, Peter, Dave, Chris, Sal, and
                                anyone else from Fort George that I have missed... Thanks for giving us such
                                a wonderful place to sleep! To Erica, Jim and the rest of the Friends of
                                Fort George, thank you for keeping me fat and happy all weekend. I can't
                                believe we didn't have to cook anything!

                                To Jim, Heather, Tanya, Rebecca, Daryl, Trav, Justin, and the rest of the
                                staff of the Niagara Parks Commission, thanks for looking after us along the
                                way.

                                Thank you to the Crown Forces Staff for arriving to layout the camp for us,
                                plan the battle scenarios, buy yards of black silk for armbands and sword
                                knot covers, and for being the glue that kept this two country, three site
                                event together.

                                Lastly thanks to all of you for coming. WOW... this one is going down in
                                the history books!

                                Kevin Windsor, Captain

                                Royal Newfoundland Regiment