Re: Organization - Was: Sutler's Dress

  • mmathews@xxxx.xxxxxx.xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 1999
      >From: BritcomHMP@...

      (snip)
      >I think we are getting to the stage where we COULD start using our muscle over
      >this sort of thing if we want to. Most of the British are now working together
      >and can (if we wish) speak with a fairly unified voice. After all whatever the
      >organizers build around the event its still the re-enactment that is the core
      >of the event, so if we stand together we can ask for what we want and get it.
      >If we do not work together or insist on 'independence' the organizers can play
      >one off against the other and we might as well save our breath.
      >
      >Same on the field, if the organizer chooses to invite a completely farby unit
      >to the event because they are friends of his individual units can do nothing
      >about it all of us together can.

      On a related note, I've been wondering about the merits of some formal
      unified structure. Remember I'm relatively new to the list, so if you've
      hashed this our before, my appologies.

      Has there been talk about having an organized body for both sides to help
      1812 reenacting? Along the lines of, but hopefully superior to, the Forces
      of Montcalm and Wolfe for the French and Indian War period?

      The few 1812 events I've attended have seen a wide variety of definitions
      of safety, protocal and procedure. i.e. units firing levelled muskets
      waaay to close, huge loads in cartridges, artillery firing in a
      questionable manner, unplanned or unscripted melees when "Indians" got
      carried away, etc. Not to mention the wide range of drill being practiced
      that hinders battalion manuevers. I'm sure there are many other areas you
      could all add where we might benefit from a measure of standardization and
      conformity. Question is, do we need an organization to do it? Can it be
      accomplished without the burden of a Board of Directors? Would we have
      more "bargaining power?"

      In a structure like this quality issues could be addressed, new units
      helped along, unhealthy competetive urges lessened, events coordinated so
      that more units know the particulars of reenactments, and so forth. We
      might lose a bit of a unit's identity (particular quirks), but we *might*
      gain a great deal.

      I guess I'm playing devil's advocate here and hopefully not reopening an
      old can of worms (fresh ones are so much tastier). I'm sure we all share
      the same goal of making the reenacting as faithful to our perception of
      reality as is practical in our litigation crazed society.

      Opinions?

      Michael (keeping his fire extinguisher handy)

      Voice: (507) 285-7585 Fax: (507) 280-5568
      ------------------------------
      "Wit is educated insolence." -- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)
    • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19, 1999
        In a message dated 3/19/99 11:14:25 AM Central Standard Time,
        mmathews@... writes:

        << Question is, do we need an organization to do it? Can it be
        accomplished without the burden of a Board of Directors? Would we have
        more "bargaining power?" >>

        There is no way that organizers will listen to groups who do not have a
        unified voice. In other words WE decide what we want and then tell organizers
        what sort of events we will come to. Either we do this or all we are doing is
        adding hot air to the environment.

        Even now Jim and Larry are adapting the NA code for use in North America and
        we will be having a formal meeting of those interested in working together in
        Toronto.

      • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 19, 1999
          In a message dated 19/3/1999 9:14:24 AM, mmathews@... writes:

          << On a related note, I've been wondering about the merits of some formal
          unified structure. Remember I'm relatively new to the list, so if you've
          hashed this our before, my appologies. >>

          Well, um no...... someone else answer all this....

          Which brings up, by the by, that it is now past March 1st for the deadline I
          gave for the North America British Brigade-NA. I guess if the same holds next
          year at this time to the few who have so far done their duty for this year,
          then it should make for an interesting round of discussions on who is actually
          eligible to be on the field at Waterloo....
          Now that should spark some flames....
          ;-)
          Honey Grahams,