Re: [WarOf1812] Fire fighting eqpt and firemen 1812 time period

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2000
      Louise:
      If you go to the Archive of the e-Group site 'Warof1812' (i.e. this one) you will find this topic was discussed earlier in the year. The archive is searchable, so it
      should not be difficult to find.
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st Foot

      Louise Simcoe wrote:

      > I am looking for informatiom on firemen and firefighting eqpt
      > of the 1812s and were to find this info. Every other occupation seems to
      > be covered but this one. Whould any of the soilders been in charge of
      > fire safty and what whould they have used, or been given to do there
      > job
      >
      > Louise simcoe

    • Louise Simcoe
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2000
        That was fast Larry.

        It is Louie's hobby (fire fighting & equipment)
        but I found it vary interesting to because, I did not see any thing to
        do with fire fighting at any of the forts we have been to. You think
        that since that everything was made of wood and that ropes pitch and
        gunpowder are combustible that the commander of such a place would keep
        some special equipment and trained men on hand in case of an emergency
        or bombardment.
        through my research I have found a fire department in Halifax N.S.

        at http://fox.nstn.ca/~snearing/1700.html &

        http://fox.nstn.ca/~snearing/1800.html

        I know it older but it must have kept up with the times

        Howard

        ps how is your scabbard?

        Larry Lozon wrote:

        > Louise:
        >
        > 1.) Welcome to the 1812 eGroup.
        >
        > 2.) At an event held every year near
        > Springfield Ohio and known as
        > "The Faire at New Boston",
        > there are a group of men who wear a hat band
        > that says "Safety Committee" and portray a
        > Fire Company of 1800.
        >
        > I do also believe that this topic was covered
        > once before, nes pas?

      • Col Sjt Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2000
          Larry - I do believe that the correct French phrase should
          be "n'est ce pas". Doug