Re: Steel pens - Byfield

  • JimYaworsky Chairperson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2000
      >From: Raymond Hobbs (snip) But how many 'enlisted men' could read or write?
      > [snip] >Enlisted men whose diaries we have - Hanks, Byfield - were
      >probably taught to read and write later in life. Certainly their 'memoirs'
      >were written long after the war.

      Jim adds: Shadrach Byfield was illiterate. His memoirs were, like several of
      the Riflemen Roger Fuller listed, dictated decades after the War to a member
      of the local gentry who evidently found Byfield's tales exotic &
      interesting... although it is amazing how the details of Byfield's account
      check out with other primary sources. He evidently had a fine memory.

      http://profiles.msn.com