Re: [WarOf1812] Militias in the UK

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2000

      >And this begs the question, would you find more literate men among the
      >militia than the regular military?

      Absolutely, at least in Britain!

      The smart ones, who didn't want to die in a Spanish (or tropical, or
      American) hellhole, or stay in the regular army until they died anyway,
      enlisted in the militias and fencible units, whose purview extended only as
      far as the water's edge of England, Scotland and Wales, and in the case of
      some, Ireland. The Duke of Cumberland's Sharp-Shooters, the North York
      Militia, and Percy's Tenantry Rifles were some of the sources of the 3rd
      batt., 95th Foot's manpower. These groups had been established to defend
      England against Napoleon's threatened invasion in the late 1790s/early
      1800s. It was certainly seen in a Britain remote from the hardships of the
      war in Spain (as well as in America) that the offshore war was not worth
      fighting, at least as a popular war (using popular in its original sense),
      until Wellington started winning and advancing big against the French- then
      the British people found enthusiasm for fighting against "Boney". (I don't
      think the American War ever caught on as a popular cause in Britain...)

      Of course, the addition of bigger bounties and short-time enlistments (as
      well as rising disemployment by handworkers because of industrialisation)
      didn't hurt the regular army's cause either....

      On both sides of the border? Not being
      >the dregs of society/useless gutter louts/yadda yadda; would they have had
      >more opportunities to gain some measure of education?

      In the case of the Duke of Northumberland as well as the Duke of Cumberland,
      many of the members of their groups were literally their tenants and
      gamekeepers, whom they wished to keep home, and producing. They were rural
      in character, had seen some schooling, and often had skills outside of being
      laborers. Not coincidentally, quite a few gunsmiths, mechanics and
      metalworkers joined them as part-time militiamen, and they then found their
      way into the 95th. When the 95th had a big recruiting drive after Corunna,
      they had so many people applying out of the militias, they had to form a 3rd
      battalion to accomodate the numbers of recruits. Out of character for the
      militia to do so, but the regt. had a good enough reputation that the
      militiamen saw that the time to get in the 95th was now a good one,
      apparently.

      Seems like a logical
      >premise, but I await the collective wisdom of the list. ;-)

      "You talkin' ta me?"
      -Robt DeNiro, as Travis Bickle, TAXI DRIVER :^)

      Roger
      3/95th (Rifles)
      http://www.novarltd.demon.co.uk/webpages/95th.htm
    • mike dollinger