steel nibs

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
      Re: MessageFrom: Doug Jones <chimera1@...>

      ..... I have done an internet search and ... refer you to
      www.berol.co.uk/pen which gives a history of the pen ...
      ____________________________

      Doug et al: The internet site reads:

      "Writing with quill pens changed little until the mid 19th
      century when metallic pens and pen nibs took over ....."

      "An English engineer Bryan Donkin patented a steel pen
      point in 1803 but did not commercially exploit his patent
      and in 1830, steel makers (William Joseph Gillot, William
      Mitchell, James Stephen Perry) mainly in Birmingham,
      England developed the mass production technique for
      cheap long wearing steel pen nibs. "
      _______________

      With this information, I suggest we not use steel nibs at
      an 1812 re-enactment. Bearing in mind only Sergeants and
      Officers, Gentlemen and Ladies would have known how
      to write as a rule. So if showing a writing desk,
      (back to the question) ..... the answer is,

      "use a pencil or a quill"

      In my humble opinion ...........

    • Chris Wattie
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
        > to write as a rule. So if showing a writing desk,
        > (back to the question) ..... the answer is,
        > "use a pencil or a quill"
        > In my humble opinion ...........

        I beg to differ. Seems to me there's
        quite a bit of evidence that metal nibs
        were in use well before 1812-14,
        although perhaps not steel and of
        course only by the "educated" classes.
        Why nit-pick over how many nibs can
        dance on the head of a quill?
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
          re:Message
          From: Chris Wattie <cwattie@...>

          I beg to differ.
          Why nit-pick over how many nibs can
          dance on the head of a quill?

          Cause, to quote a seasoned re-enactor I know,
          " if you can't specifically document it, DON"T
          USE IT "