Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Writing Impliments

  • IX Regiment
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2000
      >But then teachers (or school boards) are conservative in nature. In
      >the 40's (that's the 1940s should anyone be in doubt) in elementary
      >school I graduated from pencils to steel nibbed pens and ink wells -
      > fountain pens were prohibited. In the 50's in high school fountain
      >pens were permitted - but not ball points. Heavens forbid - what
      >would happen to penmanship?
      Sorry but I'm someway off the Forum topic! but in the early sixties in
      UK this was still true and by the time I left school in 1969 exam work
      was not allowed to be written in what we then called biro! Ah well back
      to 1812.

      I thought that traditionally goose feathers were the preferred quills,
      but I guess anything that came to hand.

      Peter
      --
      IX Regiment