Pens

  • R. Feltoe
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2000
      Dear All,
      I've been following this pen theme and thought I'd take a look to see if
      there was any reference to this in my files. I have a series of lists taken
      from advertisements placed in newspapers from York and Kingston from 1812 to
      1815. These contain virtually everything that was available for sale to the
      civilian community during that time and makes fascinating reading. Most
      adverts make no reference whatsoever to anything in the writing line but
      occasionally there are references to quills, pen knives, slates and lead
      pencils being for sale. There is also one reference (31 Aug 1813)
      from Kingston for "Steel writing pens" . No price, quantity or description
      is included but seems to indicate something other than quills were at least
      available. I'm going to Ottawa later this week and will be in the National
      Archives. From earlier visits I remember seeing list after list of paper,
      pens and other writing supplies for the various military departments, but
      did not take any particular notice of any differentiation in pens at the
      time (my memory seems to recall quills being the predominant item in
      question). If I have a spare moment I'll try to look them up again and
      report back next week.
      In the mean time, I hope this helps.
      Regards Richard Feltoe
    • Col Sjt Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2000
        I believe Richard will come up with a definitive answer.

        In the meantime I have done an internet search and would refer you to
        www.berol.co.uk/pen which gives a history of the pen from ancient
        times onward.

        Most sites on the net seem to have to do with fountain pens as
        collectibles. It appears that the work-a-day steel nib in a
        nondescript holder is not worthy of mention.

        Doug