Re: Roosevelt's Naval War Book

  • Dave Hill
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2000
      Tom,

      I hate to nit pick, well truthfully I really don't, but there are
      a couple of misconceptions in your message. Trafalgar did not save
      the British Isles from invasion. The fleet maneuvers of the previous
      months, including Nelson's dash to the West Indies and back, had
      accomplished that task. Napoleon had already started to march his
      army east when the Battle of Trafalgar took place. The
      French/Spanish fleet was heading for the Med. when Nelson caught them
      at Trafalgar. Similarly the Battle of Britain took place in 1940 not
      1941. By 1941 the other little Corporal had also started his army
      moving East.

      Trafalgar completed the virtual destruction of the French Navy that
      had begun at the Nile some years earlier. Naval battles before
      Nelson involved the actual loss of very few ships. St. Vincent (Sir
      John Jarvis) captured three ships at the Battle of St. Vincent:
      Rodney captured two or three at the Saints during the American
      Revolution and both of these were great victories. Nelson captured
      or destroyed 11 of 13 French ships at the Nile and 18 of 33 at
      Trafalgar.
      By 1812 the French capital ships were rotting hulks that were no
      longer relevant.

      The reason the Admiralty tasked so many ships of the line tasked to
      North America in 1813 and '14 was the existence of three ships;
      The President, The United States, and The Constitution. The American
      "44's" were the ultimate in their class. No British frigate had
      a chance against them (unless he got very very lucky) and even two
      frigates couldn't be assured of taking them. A British "74"
      could take one of them, if it could catch it. The real mistake of
      the USN was that it didn't really use the "44's" for extensive
      commerce raiding during 1813 and 1814. But that's another topic.

      Dave.

      --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "Tom Lawrence" <manipi@m...> wrote:

      --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:>
      ... interesting picture imerging. 30 something
      RN SoLs to Blockade or otherwise screw with the frog
      navy in 1813, which had at that time, about 40 or so
      SoLs of their own (almost half of them in the
      112-118 gun range) plus assorted frog frigates. In
      1814 the RN tasked 21 SoLs to blockade or otherwise
      act against the USN, which had 12 frigates, 3 of them
      in ordinary. Seems obvious who the RN respected.....

      Fitz

      The French invasion of England had been a very serious threat for
      several years. The key to the whole plan was for the French to gain
      control of the English Channel. The French abandoned this after
      Trafalgar. The threat against the British homeland was never again
      as great as it was in 1805-6 until 1941. Isn't it ironic that the
      control of the Channel by the British in 1941, this time by air,
      stopped another invasion?

      Tom Lawrence
    • Timothy Avery
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2000
        --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "Dave Hill" <dave.bev@h...> wrote:
        > Tom,
        >
        > I hate to nit pick, well truthfully I really don't, but there are
        > a couple of misconceptions in your message. Trafalgar did not save
        > the British Isles from invasion. The fleet maneuvers of the
        previous

        Dave:

        Hope you won't mind me inbutting here.
        A good solid work on the British v. French naval doctrine and
        strategy and the ramifications thereof is Empire of the North
        Atlantic by Gerald S. Graham. For the Jonathan perspective, one
        should consult Alfred Thayer Mahan's second volume on seapower, which
        covers the 1812 period.

        Yo ho ho and a gill of watered-down Pusser's
        T.Avery