Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Tecumseh

  • MAXINE TROTTIER
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 7, 2000
      Yes, Rob, Tecumseth was in Toronto harbour on the July 1 weekend. She
      is the vessel on which I sailed this summer.Spending two weeks before
      the mast was very enlightening. We sailed from Penetang to South haven
      Michigan and then across Lake Michigan to Chicago for tall ships
      events. In both places Tecumseth was judged to be the best boat. That
      was because the crew is in period dress and quite the programme is put
      on for the public.
      Max

      Maxine Trottier
      maxitrot@...
      http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
    • MAXINE TROTTIER
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 7, 2000
        Many changes are planned for Tecumseth. The two caronades have been
        discussed. When I was on board we were using just a swivel gun and
        muskets. All sorts of things will eventually happen below as well. It
        will be a slow process; all the work and sailing is done by
        volunteers.
        Max

        Maxine Trottier
        maxitrot@...
        http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
      • Col Sjt Jones
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 7, 2000
          Rob - Maxine has replied most eloquently.

          I would love to see TECUMSETH fitted with her original armament. I
          understand plans are afoot to do so. Perhaps someone close to her
          organization could comment.

          I have been fascinated by the small but heavily armed gun
          ships/schooners. HAMILTON and SCOURGE are examples.

          Doug

          --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@y...>

        • jvirruso@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
            > I came across some reference to the old iron clad tecumseh and was
            quite confused. later i heared there was a USS Churchill although i
            cannot confirm this.

            > anything is possible it seems.
            There was a USS Tecumseh during the Civil War. It was a monitor class
            vessel and operated in blockade duty. During the Battle of Mobile
            Bay, she struck a underwater torpedo "mine" and sunk to the bottom of
            the bay with the loss of her entire crew. The is a buoy marker
            marking the site of the ship off of Dauphine Island Alabama.

            I'll check on the USS Churchill.
          • wolf_bna
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
              I have been given the honor of posting the following message
              regarding the subject of Tucumseh etc. by a Shawnee elder.

              Message 6 of 18 , May 1, 2012
                Does anyone know if there are any contemporary portraits of Tecumseh? I found one dated much after his death, and one with no date.

                Thanks!

                Ann Wass

              • Ron
                Message 7 of 18 , May 1, 2012
                  None of Tecumseh but there are two of his brother Tenskwatawa painted from life.

                • annbwass@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 1, 2012
                    there are two of his brother Tenskwatawa painted from life.
                    Thank you!

                    Ann Wass

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 1, 2012
                      See message 44743 and the chain of messages it initiated. This thread started on December 24 2011 when it was noted that Canada Post was issuing stamps to honour Brock and Tecumseh.

                      Several times in the past few months, I've also posted as the Group's website illustration, various attempts to portray Tecumseh that have been made by artists over the years. Some of those attempts were plainly way off base and quite laughable.

                      The bottom line: no verifiable contemporary illustration of Tecumseh has ever been found, to my knowledge. Which, when you think of it, is sort of surprising...

                      Jim Yaworsky
                      41st, Moderator
                    • Chris Pohlkamp
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 1, 2012
                        There simply are no fully authenticated portraits of Tecumseh. The portrait
                        of Tecumseh most likely to be an accurate representation of him (based on
                        circumstantial evidence) is a sketch drawn in 1808 by trader Pierre Le Dru,
                        who met Tecumseh and drew it from memory. Some paintings, like Lossing
                        famous color portrait (seen here: http://en.wikipedia
                        org/wiki/File:Tecumseh02.jpg), are based on this sketch by Pierre Le Dru,
                        who also did a reasonably accurate sketch of the Prophet, Tecumseh's brother

                        Le Dru's sketch can be seen here: http://www.galafilm
                        com/1812/e/catalogues/sket283.html

                        Dale Adamson
                        On-Gwe-Ho-Way

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 1, 2012
                          Jim

                          I don't have the source in front of me right now, but I believe the portrait used by Canada Post of Tecumseth is based on the sole contemporary illustration, which was done in black and white by a French fur trader, sometime around 1795-1800 if memeoty serves. It is the siource for the commonest illustration one sees of the chief, the coloured version of which was painted in the 1860s I think, and 'modified' versions of which abound, often with the addition of british military clothing, medals, a new head dress and so on.

                          I'll try and post the correct one in the photo section.
                        • annbwass@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 2, 2012
                            Thanks to all who provided information. I have found it very difficult to find contemporary images of any native Americans, especially in the U.S. (I've seen some from Canada) before 1820.

                            Ann Wass
                          • Paul and Charlene
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 3, 2012
                              Good Evening Folks - I am not a regular visitor to your group, but the request from Ann Wass was forwarded to me by Charlene Roberts. My name is Lisa Gilbert, and I am chair of Friends of the Tecumseh Monument. Some of you probably know that our group has been trying to get the site near where Tecumseh was killed at the Battle of the Thames (Moraviantown), known as the Tecumseh Monument site, redeveloped, in time for the bicentennial of his death on October 5, 2013. If you are interested in more information, visit our website at TecumsehMonument.ca. In answer to your question Ann, I want to corroborate what Jim Yaworsky said (also forwarded to me by Charlene), and just re-iterate that there is no fully authenticated contemporary illustration of Tecumseh, but, according to the research that I have done, the best one to use is the Benjamin Lossing engraving. He reportedly based his picture on a pencil sketch made about 1808 by a fur trader named Pierre Le Dru. Unfortunately, Lossing substituted a British officer's coat for Tecumseh's more probable deerskin shirt. The turban is probably accurate though, as it is known that Tecumseh favoured turbans. I also just want to add that the woman who was hired to draw the picture for the stamp was in contact with me earlier this year, and from my conversations with her, I think the picture will be as accurate as possible. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Thanks for your time.

                              Sincerely,

                              Lisa Gilbert,
                              Friends of the Tecumseh Monument