Re: [WarOf1812] introduction

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
      Hi Anna;
      Welcome to the list, and possibly to the hobby. Reenactors are a great lot to get to know. Many are walking encyclopedias of the War of 1812 (and a host of other
      things). They also like to share their knowledge. I hope you enjoy entering this interesting world.
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st Regt of Foot
      Hamilton, Ont.

    • power@skylinc.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
      • dancingbobd@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
          Hi Anna,

          Welcome to the list. I think that you will encounter a very diverse set
          of viewpoints here. More re-enactors than just historians, but many of
          the re-enactors have a great deal of knowledge. We ALL have opinions!
          Few are afraid to express them. Hope that your enjoy the exchange as
          much as I do.

          Regards,

          Bob Dorian
          Independence, MO U.S.A.
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 4, 2000
            RE:
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 10, 2001
              Greetings All,

              My name is James Lundgren and I've been doing 1812 events since
              1988. I've been on the Canadian side and the American side and
              depending upon the event have served as militia, regular, artillery
              and navy. At PdC the onelisters met and twisted my arm into joining
              the group. I currently serve as 1st Lt. with the 6th US at Fort
              Atkinson Nebraska along with Capt. Earley Smith of the US Rifles also
              of the group.

              I offer a salute to my superior officers from either side and expect
              a reprimand from Major Abolt if I ever fail to return a salute by an
              enlistedman.

              Jas Lundgren
              6th US
            • EGSmith5@Home.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 10, 2001
                James,

                Welcome to the list. Good to see you join us.

                Cheers,
                Capt. E.G.Smith
                First Regt. U.States Riflemen
                Fort Atkinson

                --- In WarOf1812@y..., "James" <j.lundgren@j...> wrote:
                > Greetings All,
                >
                > My name is James Lundgren and I've been doing 1812 events since
                > 1988. I've been on the Canadian side and the American side and
                > depending upon the event have served as militia, regular, artillery
                > and navy. At PdC the onelisters met and twisted my arm into
                joining
                > the group. I currently serve as 1st Lt. with the 6th US at Fort
                > Atkinson Nebraska along with Capt. Earley Smith of the US Rifles
                also
                > of the group.
                >
                > I offer a salute to my superior officers from either side and
                expect
                > a reprimand from Major Abolt if I ever fail to return a salute by
                an
                > enlistedman.
                >
                > Jas Lundgren
                > 6th US
              • union47th
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 15, 2002
                  Greetings all,

                  Per your moderators request I thought I would post a brief intro. I am
                  not an 1812 reenactor, but I am a lifelong student of American
                  history ( I have my degree in it, although I no longer work in that
                  field). I specialized in the American Civil War, but over the last
                  decade or so I have been fascinated by the War of 1812. I have read
                  (and own) many books and articles on it, attended several
                  reenactments, and visited many historic sites in our area. Living in
                  Michigan, I am particuarly interested in the events in the Old
                  Northwest. We live in an 1850's house we have been restoring. We are
                  very involved in our local museum, where we portray a family from the
                  era of our house. I am also a member of the Sons of Union Veterans of
                  the Civil War. But more than enough about me. What caused me to delurk
                  is to make people aware (as I didn't see it on the calendar) of the
                  River Raisin Battlefield Annual Commemoration Ceremony that will take
                  place this Sunday (January 20th) on the battleground at the Visitor
                  Center. The url for more information is:
                  http://www.co.monroe.mi.us/Museum/memorial_ceremony.htm

                  Thanks,
                  Kevin Lindsey
                • union47th
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 15, 2002
                    --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Annette and Lloyd" <agower@b...> wrote:
                    > agower@b...
                    > The memorial service is the 19th ,at the river raisin it starts at
                    noon.

                    Oops, my mistake. I got the wrong date from someone else. I just
                    called the museum in Monroe to verify the dates, and you are correct
                    about it being on Saturday. Thanks!
                  • Annette and Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 16, 2002
                      agower@...
                      The memorial service is the 19th ,at the river raisin it starts at noon.
                    • Frank Fusco
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 12, 2003
                        The moderator has asked me to post some introductory information
                        about myself. I live in the Ozarks of Arkansas and have for many
                        years. Since the early 1970's, while still living in Indiana, I
                        developed an interest in the Revolutionary War and the Rev.
                        Rifleman. Since then my adopted personna has been the Rev. Rifleman.
                        I enjoy the outdoors and hunting and have a number of nice muzzle
                        a Jaeger. I belong to the Early Arkansas Reenactors Association but
                        have never joined a military type reenactment unit. I am about to
                        start a little retirement side-line business of duplicating
                        gunstocks, mostly historical styles up to 60" in length. But no rush
                        orders will be accepted because if I want to go to rendezvous or
                        hunting, that is what I will do. I look forward to learning more
                        about the war of 1812.
                        Frank
                      • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 12, 2003
                          Hi Frank,

                          I would recommend that you come and visit the Militia Muster at Ft.
                          Osage on October 18th & 19th. Fort Osage is located 25 miles east of
                          Kansas City, MO. There are usually several riflemen from Ft. Atkinson
                          which is 15 miles north of Omaha, NE. They are using the Mod. 1803
                          Harpers Ferry rifle. During the war there were also contract rifles in
                          the system from the 1792 & 1807 contracts. I am not aware that any of
                          the US Rifle Reg't. units use these. There is a good book available
                          covering the US Rifle Reg't. in the War of 1812 but I don't own it and
                          can't supply the name or author.

                          The common uniform seen is a green hunting frock with yellow fringe,
                          white narrow fall trousers with black gaiters, brogans and the tombstone
                          shako. This description is quite general and I would recommend that you
                          get the book before you purchase linen and start sewing.

                          I have also addressed this to Earley Smith of the Ft. Atkinson Rifle
                          Reg't. who has all of the information available. Lloyd Gower is on the
                          list and is also quite knowledgeable. Hope you can make it up to Ft.
                          Osage as it will give you a chance to see the actual uniforms.

                          Regards,

                          Bob Dorian
                          US Surgeon
                          Independence, MO
                          816-716-8866
                        • Annette and Lloyd
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 14, 2003
                            Hi Frank ,
                            If you will contact me off list ,I will be glad to make arrangements to send
                            you a condensed packet of information on US Riflemen 1810 T0 1815 ,free of
                            charge.
                            agower@... agower@...
                            Lloyd Gower
                          • Annette and Lloyd
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 14, 2003
                              Hi Frank ,
                              Read Green Coats and Glory .
                              Men at arms series 226 isbn 0-85045-197-3
                              Men at Arms series 345 isbn 1-84176-051-x the latest *****

                              Uniforms and equipment of the Uninted States Forces in the war of 1812
                              isbn 0-941967-13-1

                              The Yoman shako is the correct shako for Riflemen 1812 ,many of us ware the
                              incorrect shako ,dont make that mistake ,I did .

                              agower@...
                              Lloyd
                            • Frank Fusco
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 17, 2003
                                Bob
                                Thanks for the information. Next time you are at Ft. Osage say "Hi"
                                to Ray Miller for me and ask him about the "Rifleman's rifle" I
                                currently carry.
                                Frank

                              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 17, 2003
                                  Hi Frank,

                                  The Ft. Osage that I am at is the National Historic Landmark in Sibley.
                                  MO.

                                  Ray Miller is at the Ft. Osage Muzzleloader Club in Kingsville, MO which
                                  is about 30 miles to the SE.

                                  The Militia Muster is at the Historic Ft. Osage in Sibley MO. From I-70
                                  take exit 24, "Buckner - Grain Valley, and go north on Hiway BB. You
                                  will come to Buckner which is 8 Miles north of I-70. At the stop light
                                  go straight ahead about 1 mile and the hiway will curve sharply to the
                                  left [west]. About 1 block west you will see a road on the right and
                                  there will be a sign indicating Ft. Osage ->. From there there are
                                  signs.

                                  Regards,

                                  Bob
                                • Mike Learoyd
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 22 5:16 PM
                                    Mike Learoyd: student of history, collector of militaria, enjoy a
                                    number of shooting disciplines including blackpowder. I have been
                                    quietly observing the list for a while and thought I might join.
                                    Thank you,
                                    Mike
                                    Ontario, Canada
                                  • terryandkaralee
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 23 11:43 AM
                                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Learoyd" <labrador_mike@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Mike Learoyd: student of history, collector of militaria, enjoy a
                                      > number of shooting disciplines including blackpowder. I have been
                                      > quietly observing the list for a while and thought I might join.
                                      > Thank you,
                                      > Mike
                                      > Ontario, Canada

                                      Hi. Welcome to the list. I myself just joined May 20. I hope we can
                                      exchange ideas and information. Have a great day, Chris.
                                    • stevetrucker1
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 23, 2009
                                        To one and all,my name is Steve McLaren,and I am a war of 1812 re-enacter with the 10th Royal Vets,and, formerly with the Glengarry light infantry. I have done extensive reading on the war and have a well balanced knowledge of the conflict,so should anyone need some assistance in research or just a question,I'd be happy to help if I can. One more thing,thankyou Larry for the info on the 49th that I requested,much appreciated.
                                        Steve
                                      • Bob
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                                          new member to group looking to learn more about the war of 1812 and anyone feel free to send me e-mails, looking forward to discussing the war with anyone.. bobh
                                        • John Ogden
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 2, 2009
                                            Hello, Bob.

                                            Are you a reenactor (or interested in becoming one)? Where are you
                                            located?

                                            --
                                            John J. Ogden

                                          • Bob Hellmers
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 2, 2009
                                              dear john, i am not a reenactor but i would love to know more about life back then and maybe spend a little time as they did. i am in new hampshire, where are you?  bob

                                              ________________________________

                                              --
                                              John J. Ogden

                                            • John Ogden
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                I'm in Pittsburgh PA.

                                                On 11/2/09, Bob Hellmers <hellmersbob@...> wrote:

                                                > dear john, i am not a reenactor but i would love to know more about life
                                                > back then and maybe spend a little time as they did. i am in new hampshire,
                                                > where are you? bob

                                                John J. Ogden