OT-Civil War Tactics

  • hoff4446@msn.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2000
      I think it was less a matter of firearms technology than artillery
      usage for the increase in casualties in the ACW. Even with minie
      balls and percussion caps most firefights began at less than 200
      yards, and while the rates of fire were affected by less misfires
      formations were also somewhat looser in practice. Artillery
      percentages in the ACW were very high per 1000 men, and the grouping
      of batteries into larger tactical units (like at Stone's River and
      Pea Ridge, not to mention Gettysburg) would have had an effect. I
      can't think of a single "grand battery" in the war of 1812. However,
      some battles with artillery in good position (New Orleans for
      example) clearly demonstrate the killing power.
      Tom