Re: Scott, hostages & Dartmoor nick

  • Dave Welch
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2000
      --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:

      > The Americans held at Dartmoor were from the crews of
      > privateers.
      > The riot at dartmoor happened when the sailors
      > attempted to force the gate to go home - the war had
      > been over for three plus months and the English still
      > had not released them - between the hulks and dartmoor
      > there were some thousands of PoWs, and the english had
      > made no prerperations to return them. After the riot,
      > the English decreed that the privateers could be
      > released to the masters of American ships. Within a
      > few weeks, there wasn't an American privateer to be
      > found on English soil.
      >
      > Fitz

      It's certainly true that a number of the Americans at Dartmoor were
      captured crews of privateers. But from Known American War Dead During
      the War of 1812, I estimate upwards of 100 were prisoners of war who
      died at Dartmoor prison. One or two died at Chatham, while others
      died while being held in forts in Canada. I haven't worked up a exact
      count yet, but the majority of these pow's were enlisted soldiers,
      mostly militiamen. The precise cause of death is not given, although
      the dates are. This gives some clue, but probably only the prison
      records hold the final answer for these poor souls.

      Dave W. 5MR