Re: [WarOf1812] War haws

  • Scott McDonald
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 26, 2000
      >I've noticed that most of the warhawks were Scots by
      >descent, and jacobites. Old feuds die hard with that
      >crowd. Same thing with the Creek War - look at the
      >Scots names of the chiefs on both sides. I once read a
      >paper submitted by a grad student that gave support to
      >the idea that the Creek War was a convenient excuse
      >for settling old hates brought on by the Leslies
      >burning out the MacDonalds over a hundred years
      >earlier.
      >
      >Fitz

      OK...I've been biting my tounge, but its beginning to hurt, so here it goes:
      The so called Warhawks, ie: members of Congress from Southern and other
      states who supported the war, were not Scottish Jacobites. And I doubt that
      they were even the sons of such. If you really mean 'Warhawks' to mean
      those North Carolina Scots who were Jacobite in sympathy and descent, then
      think again about where their loyalty really was. The North Carolina Scots
      (especillay the real Jacobites among them) as a group were loyal to King
      George during the revolution and for some living among the Cherokee and
      Creeks remained loyal for years thereafter.

      I am going to quote from Duane Meyer's well researched book "The Highland
      Scots of North Carolina 1732-1776" Chapter 1 page 1:
      "The migration of the Scottish Highlanders to North Carolina began in the
      1730's and slowly gained momentum. On the eve of the American Revolution,
      such large numbers were leaving the Highlands that Samuel Johnson, visiting
      in North Britian, could speak of an 'epidemick desire of wandering which
      spreads its cotagion from valley to valley". The migration brought to
      America, above all to North Carolina, a large body of Settlers known
      cheifly in American revolutionary history for their devotion to the cause
      of George III. What can account for the curious transformation of the
      Highlanders, who in Europe had rallied round the Stuart flag in the
      Jacobite uprisings known as the Fifteen and the Forty-Five, in memory of
      the years of occurence, but who in North Carolina were the loyal supporters
      of the House of Hanover? Professor Thomas J. Wertenbaker writes: 'American
      historians have been at a loss to explain the loyalty of the Highlanders to
      the royal cause during the American Revolution. Since many had fought and
      suffered for the Pretender, and almost all were victims of the recent
      changes in Scotland for which the government was responsible, one might
      suppose they would have welcomed an opportunity for revenge'. It is only a
      little less remarkable that a people so imbued with a love of cheif and
      clan and so attached to the braes and glens of the Highlands should have
      emigrated at all."

      Moving to page 150:
      "Historians of our own time who have been puzzled over the Loyalism of the
      highlanders have failed to observe this shift of allegiance in the years
      following the Forty-Five. The Americans, however, were fully aware of it at
      the time of the revolution. In Virginia, Loyalists were referred to as 'the
      Scotch Party'. General Schuyler of New York despaired of securing the
      cooperation or aid of the Loyalist Highlanders in his colony. He added '
      These people have been taught to consider us in politics in the same light
      that papists consider protestants." In a letter to General Lee, John Page
      of Virginia wrote that it would disturb George III to know that 'seven
      hundred and fifty of his favorite highlanders" wetre captured. John
      Witherspoon of Princeton, who gave dedicated support to the revolutionary
      cause, included in a sermon of May, 1776, an appeal to Scottish-born
      Americans to support the rebellion. He observed that so many Scotish people
      were faithful to the King that the word SCOTCH was becoming a word of
      reproach in America. It was Witherspoon who persuaded the Continental
      Congress to remove the charge against the Scots which Jefferson had
      included in his first draft of the Declaration of Independence."

      This is not to say that all North Carolina Highlanders were Loyal, there
      were exceptions, especially after the debacle at Moore's Creek. But the
      vast majority were loyal for a variety of reasons. After Moores Creek and
      the retaliation of the patriots many highlanders fled, some to Floridia and
      West Indies most to Nova Scotia or back to Britian. Those who could,(ie:
      were not known to be Loyalist) obstensibly changed alligence to keep their
      property from being confiscated and did not take up arms again for either
      side.

      As far as the Scots names in the Creek tribe. The same holds true for most
      of the Southern tribes who were greatly influenced by the Scots traders who
      married into the tribes and acted not only as traders but some as Indian
      Agents for the British Government keeping them loyal for years after the
      revolution.

      Just so you know, the Leslies never had it out for the Macdonalds. Of
      course there was that little affair in 1647 on the south end of Kintyre
      when Gen. Leslie leading a government army of Campbells and lowlanders
      forced the retreating royalist Macdonalds into Dunaverty Castle, cut off
      their water supply and obtained a surrender 'at descretion'. When the
      Macd's came out they were put to the sword, some 300 of them. The scene
      makes the massacre of Glencoe pale in comparison...Leslie seems to have
      suffered some revulsion on witnessing the event, but the Marquis of Argyll
      (Campbell) had no such revulsion standing ankle deep in blood according to
      eyewitness accounts. But I'm not bitter...:)

      Scott McD.