Re: WarOf1812 Question

  • Dave Welch
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2000
      --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@y...>
      wrote:

      Mark I have the War of 1812 journal of Lieutenant John
      > Le Couteur 104th Foot. I'll check it out. I guess my
      > real question was dealing with British-Americans
      > living in the states at the time the war broke out.
      > How were they treated? Similar to Japanese-Americans
      > who fought for America in WW II?
      >

      > Rob Taylor

      While not found on your book shop's 1812 shelf, I believe there are
      actually one or two published books on the treatment of what were
      termed "British Aliens" after the Declaration of war. I don't have
      either source at hand, but I recall that anyone of British birth was
      supposed to report to a magistrate and take a kind of oath of non-
      allegiance, i.e. they would not take up arms or act as Agents for the
      British government, upon pain of property confiscation and
      deportation.

      I can say factually, that more than a small handful of men of British
      birth were living in Maryland and volunteed in independent companies.
      But when there was actual threat of open warfare in 1814, these men
      were dismissed from their units. The same was true for some others
      who were from countries on the Continent. So the removals may have
      been just a knee-jerk reaction to all persons of foreign birth.

      I have yet to discover any references to anyone actually being
      deported, or having their property confiscated, or them being
      interred. It could have happened. After all, Lincoln's government did
      some of this in 1861 with several Baltimore public officials. But
      that's another story.

      Dave