Fort Meigs

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 18, 2000

      Jack Dennahower, IMUC
      Mac White, IMUC
      Stewart Dennahower, IMUC
      Brenda Lightfoot, Campfollower
      Beth Mitchell, Campfollower
      Melanie Tate, Campfollower
      Muriel Draaisma, Campfollower
      Connie Dennahower, Campfollower

      Were there no subscribers who portray American
      Forces in attendance?

    • Chris Wattie
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 18, 2000
        I know some are, but probably not all.
        Was this a requirement?

        --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "Larry
        Lozon" <lalozon@m...> wrote:
        > Are all the below,
        > subscribers to the WarOf1812 eGroup?
        >
        > If you attended the event at Fort Meigs
        > in Maumee Ohio the weekend past,
        > please add your name to this list:
        >
        > Andrew Bateman 41st Regt.
        > George Brooks 41st Regt.
        > Tom Edwards 41st Regt.
        > Ray Hobbs 41st Regt.
        > Larry Lozon 41st Regt.
        > Mickey Moulder 41st Regt.
        > Jim Yaworsky 41st Regt.
        > Jason Everett, IMUC
        > Fred Fishell, IMUC
        > Kevin Lightfoot, IMUC
        > Paul Kelly, IMUC
        > Gord Mitchell, IMUC
        > Chris Wattie, IMUC
        > Dave White, IMUC
        > Bill White, IMUC
        > Mike Varty, IMUC
        > Jack Dennahower, IMUC
        > Mac White, IMUC
        > Stewart Dennahower, IMUC
        > Brenda Lightfoot, Campfollower
        > Beth Mitchell, Campfollower
        > Melanie Tate, Campfollower
        > Muriel Draaisma, Campfollower
        > Connie Dennahower, Campfollower
        >

        > Were there no subscribers who portray American
        > Forces in attendance?

        > [Non-text portions of this message
        have been removed]
      • PEGGY MATHEWS
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 22, 2003
          Hi all,

          I was wondering if anyone could tell me which US battalion drill will be used for Fort Meigs next month? We have a good crowd coming for the New Orleans militia and want to make sure we are ready.

          Thanks, hope to see lots of you on both sides of the lines in May.

          Michael Mathews
          Compagnie Francs, Bataillon d'Orleans

          "A man only needs two things in life. WD40 to make things go, duct tape to make them stop."

          Message 4 of 21 , May 27, 2003
            May I respectfully suggest you all contact Fort Meigs and
            tell them what you think of the New Improved Fort Meigs

            at:

            fortmeigs@...

            visit:
            http://www.fortmeigs.org/

            __________________________
            Re:
            From: Jim Yaworsky yawors1@...

            This event was *excellent*, by the way. The new museum at Meigs is large
            and absolutely first rate. The site was always one of the most awesome in
            the world of 1812. With the new museum complex it must now be considered a
            "must-do" place of pilgrimage for all 1812'ers. As for the event itself,
            as usual we were treated like kings all weekend.

            From: "Michael Mathews" <ciefranche21e@...>

            To echo Jim's comments the new site is even better than before, with an
            outstanding museum. Plus a discount for reenactors in the gift/book shop.
            It's a 10 hour drive for me, but I've yet to be disappointed.

            ________________
          • PEGGY Mathews
            Message 5 of 21 , May 27, 2003
              A good idea, but we were given a yellow survey at registration for just that
              purpose. So if you did as requested...... But even so, they work awfully
              hard there to make it a good experience for us, so extra kudos are always
              appropriate.

              Michael
              Compagnie les Francs, Bataillon d'Orleans

              "A man only needs two things in life. WD40 to make things go, duct tape to
              make them stop."

              >From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
              >To: "Onelist WarOf1812" <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [WarOf1812] Fort Meigs
              >Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 12:52:18 -0400
              >
              >May I respectfully suggest you all contact Fort Meigs and
              >tell them what you think of the New Improved Fort Meigs
              >
              >at:
              >
              > fortmeigs@...
              >
              >visit:
              > http://www.fortmeigs.org/
              >
              >__________________________
              >Re:
              >From: Jim Yaworsky yawors1@...
              >
              >This event was *excellent*, by the way. The new museum at Meigs is large
              >and absolutely first rate. The site was always one of the most awesome in
              >the world of 1812. With the new museum complex it must now be considered a
              >"must-do" place of pilgrimage for all 1812'ers. As for the event itself,
              >as usual we were treated like kings all weekend.
              >
              >From: "Michael Mathews" <ciefranche21e@...>
              >
              >To echo Jim's comments the new site is even better than before, with an
              >outstanding museum. Plus a discount for reenactors in the gift/book shop.
              > It's a 10 hour drive for me, but I've yet to be disappointed.
              >
              >________________

              >of square miles...

            • John E Greig
              Message 6 of 21 , May 27, 2004
                Hello All,

                Have a great time at Fort Meigs this weekend, sorry we can't be there.

                Remember when you get home to give your trousers to your man to wash in clean spring water !!!!!!!!

                The British Brigade, in the UK, will be repelling some damded French who have managed to penetrate our coastal defences and are hiding somewhere near Stowe in Buckinghamshire.

                Confusion to both our enemies.

                Squire & Lady Eleanor Greig

              • westhouse03
                Message 7 of 21 , May 31, 2004
                  On behalf of the Upper Thames Military Re-enactment Society and the
                  Royal Scots 1st Regiment of Foot I would like to thank the organizers
                  of the event for a wonderful weekend.
                  Great show and what great battles.
                  Without reiterating what has been said before let me just say we
                  agree with all previous posts.
                  Job well done.

                  Dave W.
                  Private, Royal Scots.
                  President, UTMRS.
                • Annette and Lloyd
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 31, 2004
                    On behalf of the 1st Regiment of Rifles of the Michigan territory .
                    We would like to thank the Organizers of the event for a most enjoyable weekend .
                    We stand In aww each time the British line comes to front befor us ,Good show to one and all ,very impresive ,

                    Lloyd Gower for the Regiment of Rifles
                    Captain Gower

                  • ray hobbs
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 29, 2005
                      List:
                      A vote of thanks is also offered to the staff at Fort Meigs,
                      Perrysburg, Ohio for an excellent event at the site this past week-end.
                      The weather cooperated extremely well - choosing to rain only at night,
                      or in 'down time' during the day.

                      As always, the staff at Fort Meigs make the reenactors most welcome,
                      and their hospitality is greatly appreciated. Hats off to Martin,
                      Tamia, Adam and gang for their work.

                      On the British side, the 1st (Royal Scots) Grenadiers, the 10th Royal
                      Veteran's Battalion and the Forty First Regiment of Foot put up a
                      splendid fight on on both Saturday and Sunday, and the score at the end
                      of the weekend was 1-1. The tacticals were repros of Dudley's debacle,
                      and the subsequent attack on the British artillery - both on the same
                      day, originally.

                      As many who attended the Grand Tactical last year recall, Fort Meigs is
                      a splendid site. the local community is most hospitable, and, as I
                      said, the Fort Staff could not have been better.
                      We (the 41st) are definitely returning next year. Photos will follow.

                      Yrs etc.
                      Ray Hobbs
                      CO
                      41st Regt
                    • Carole
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 30, 2005
                        Hello List,
                        I've posted some pictures capturing the spirit of our hobby at Fort
                        Meigs to share with those who where not able to join us. Was a
                        wonderful time shared by all and a very memorable event. Even Mother
                        Nature co-operated with us.... :P

                        Carole
                        41st Campfollower
                      • Ray Hobbs
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 1, 2007
                          List:
                          I have been away for most of the week, and incommunicado for that time.
                          I simply wish to add my strong endorsement to the event at Fort Meigs -
                          whether it is a CF event or not. It is also not my intention to
                          diminish those events which have been designated CF events in the 2007
                          calendar.
                          The 41st has been attending Fort Meigs for several years, sometimes as
                          the only Brit unit present. And with the loyal assistance of that
                          "Hofficer of Engineers", Capt. Gilmour. But we are treated royally, and
                          I have nothing but praise for the staff at the fort. Marty and Tamia
                          Land are most welcoming, and adaptable.
                          Occasionally, as in 2006, unusual and delightful things happen. We were
                          able to greet, and escort into the fort a busload of British tourists.
                          I think it was the highlight of their tour!
                          We also have had the opportunity to try out some independent
                          skirmishing tactics in the woods, to great effect and satisfaction.
                          It looks as though we will have company this year in the form of the
                          two flank companies of the 1st (Royal Scots) at least. This is great
                          news - hey, we now have a battalion - Grenadiers - Line - Light Bobs!
                          Yr Humble Servant
                          R. Hobbs, Captain
                          41st Regt.
                        • R FELTOE
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 1, 2007
                            Does anyone have Ken Hall's email address or home phone number.

                            Richard

                          • larrylozon
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 1, 2007
                              R FELTOE wrote:

                              Does anyone have Ken Hall's email address or home phone number.

                              Richard

                              It is listed at http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                              along with yours

                              Yrs.,
                              L2
                            • Dave McMeekin

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                                  In a message dated 4/1/07 9:20:43 AM, feltoe@... writes:
                                  > Does anyone have Ken Hall's email address or home phone number.

                                  Yes.

                                  Lt Col give me 5 bob B
                                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                                  www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                  THE Thin Red Line

                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 24, 2008
                                    This weekend is Fort Meigs

                                    Visit www.fortmeigs.org
                                    to broaden your knowledge of the War Of 1812

                                    " Fort Meigs is a War of 1812 battlefield located in Perrysburg,
                                    Ohio. A reconstructed fort and museum help bring history alive. Fort
                                    Meigs is one of sixty sites owned and operated by the Ohio Historical
                                    Society. Along with school tours and interactive displays, a number
                                    of reenactments and special events take place here throughout the
                                    summer. . ."

                                    Fort Meigs was the backdrop for the movie 'First Invasion: The War of
                                    1812'.

                                    The weather looks glorious for those who are attending this event

                                    Yrs.,
                                    L2
                                  • mimathews@comcast.net
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 24, 2008
                                      I was there once for the US Memorial Day weekend. They are superb hosts and the site is indeed fantastic. The newish museum is also excellent and many of the blockhouses have nice displays. It never disappointed for any of the numerous events I've attended there in various uniforms.

                                      Michael Mathews

                                      --
                                      A Truism - For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 25, 2009
                                        I would like to say thank you to our hosts this weekend at Fort Meigs.

                                        A fun weekend! For myself, it was nice to finally come back to the
                                        fort after an absence of over a decade.
                                        I certainly won't wait that long again until my next visit,

                                        Congratulations!

                                        Craig Williams
                                      • tom4141fournier
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 30, 2011
                                          I would like to take a moment to thank the organizers of "First Siege" at Fort Meigs in Perrysburg, Ohio this past weekend.

                                          A little bit of rain at night and damp ground did not dampen the ardour of the participants where we had a fun and lively time.

                                          The 41st Regiment always counts this as one of our favourite events and we truly value and treasure the friendships that we have with the fort staff, the volunteer association and local units.

                                          Your most humble and obedient Servant,

                                          Tom Fournier,Captain
                                          41st Regiment of Foot
                                        • Ray Hobbs
                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 30, 2011
                                            Dispatch from the Head of the Lake UCMonday, May 30th
                                            I am happy to report on the expedition of His Majesty's troops up the Miami River, Ohio, to lay siege at Fort Meigs and to engage the enemy in open battle.The inclement weather overnight did nothing to dampen the ardour of the troops and they fulfilled their duties in exemplary fashion, even though outnumbered.
                                            I was privileged to have command of a force consisting of members of the 1st (Royal Scot) Regiment, Grenadier and Light Companies; The 41st Regiment; The 60th Rifles; The Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada, and reinforcements from the Regiment De Meuron and the Glengary Light Infantry. Capt Dubbeld commanded a battery of artillery and Native Warriors assisted in the battles.
                                            My thanks go to all participants, and especially the unit commanders, Captain Dennison, Colour Sergeant Stott, Captain Fournier, Sergeant Kelly, Sergeant Newfield, and Captain Dubbeld for their dedication in damp and muddy circumstances. Major Gilmour, of the Royal Engineers was a most supportive Adjutant.
                                            On the Saturday we faced a superior force of the enemy, and were successful in taking the field, preserving the guns and forcing the enemy to offer themselves in surrender after suffering many casualties. On Sunday the fortune went to the enemy after a gallant and costly fight by His Majesty's force. The 41st paid dearly for their gallant maintenance of the centre and left wing, a feat which managed to preserve the guns from capture. In this they were accompanied by the IMUC. On the right wing, the light troops harrassed the enemy well, but were unable to restrain their vastly superior numbers. They too suffered much at the hands of the disciplined enemy advance. I had no alternative but to accept the circumstances and to yield to the enemy.
                                            During the conflict I suffered a wound to my left arm, but "it was only a flesh wound".
                                            Our withdrawal was done with discipline and honour.
                                            The staff at Fort Meigs deserve our thanks for their excellent hospitality, and welcome.
                                            My hope is that all returned safely from the venture, in spite of serious weather in Ohio and Michigan on our journey home.
                                            I remain Your Most Humble and Obedient ServantR. HobbsHon Col.Head of the Lake UC

                                          • tom4141fournier
                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 30, 2011
                                              Photos have been posted on:

                                              www.fortyfirst.org