Re: Religious Tolerance

  • dave8365@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2000
      In a message dated 9/6/2000 3:38:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time, "Larry Lozon"
      <lalozon@...> writes:

      << David,
      are you saying that all those 'bead rattlers' from Lower Canada
      (Quebec) may not fight for his Majesty cause d'ey is Catlicks!?!

      or ..

      dem Frenchie doagans frum around De'troit cannot fight for d'King
      cause de goes to confession ......?!?! >>

      Hullo, Larry,

      First of all, we are ALL Catholic....just not Roman Catholic. And it appears
      that you misunderstand me. I have absolutely nothing against Papists
      fighting in the ranks for King and True Religion. I rather view it as their
      duty. In fact, the more Irish we can put into the front rank, the better!

      No, gentle friend, my comments were pointed at the Officer class - those who
      are expected to be leaders not just of the Army and Navy, but of Society; and
      I regard those obdurate, stubborn persons who cling to old superstitions as
      exceedingly contumacious of the King's Majesty!

      And to remark on some things Tim said,

      "Demme! Echo's of Cromwell and his regicidal roundheded scum!"

      Well, considering the fact that Charles DID marry a Roman Catholic; his sons
      DID become Roman Catholics, I can only state that I am quite content with the
      state of affairs as they are now, with our own Blessed House of Hanover.

      and finally,

      "Doubtless if the Great Duke goes into politics after the war he will set
      this idiocy at rights."

      I understand that it was the Great Duke himself who actively enforced the
      elimination of Roman Catholics from the officers corps, following the
      Glorious Revolution....

      Oh - You WERE talking about Marlborough, weren't you? ;-)

      Cheers,
      Dave "Gimme dat ole' time (Book of Common Prayer) relijun" Lynch
    • Dave Hill
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2000
        Lozon" > writes:

        David,
        are you saying that all those 'bead rattlers' from Lower Canada
        (Quebec) may not fight for his Majesty cause d'ey is Catlicks!?!
        relijun"

        One should point out that the citizens of Quebec (Lower Canada) had
        been granted the freedom to practise their religion by the Quebec Act
        (1774 - I think). Some other terms of this Act helped start the
        American Rebellion.

        Dave.
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2000
          re: Original Message
          From: dave8365@...

          Dave, Tim, et al:

          ~ we have done it,
          we have broken all the rules !!!!

          remember,

          " Thou shalt not talk in publick about religion, politics etc ........."

          ... we've done it, slammed the Churches, and the Counties
          we've said it was your fault ... no my fault,
          Y'a gotts ta luv it!!!!!!!

          ~ now back to the 1812 station ................ :^)