Re: [WarOf1812] Lake Erie

  • Fitzhugh MacCrae
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2000
      --- "Schifferdecker, Patrick"
      <patrick.schifferdecker@...> wrote:
      > >Dave Bosse
      > >sez...Matter of fact some RN guys said it was the
      > hottest action they had
      > ever seen.
      >
      > But the hottest action of the whole age of sail was
      > the Shannon vs
      > Chesapeake. In 11 minutes the Chesapeake landed:
      > 25 round-shot hits &
      > 130 others
      > inflicting
      > 26 KIAs
      > 57 wounded 8 of which did not recover.
      >
      > Shannon landed
      > 56 round shot &
      > 306 grape
      > inficting
      > 69 KIA
      > 77 wounded
      >
      > Now that HOT!
      > I remain as always YH & OS
      > Patrick Schifferdecker, Lieut. RN

      Interesting footnote - the Chesapeake, which had taken
      the greater number of hits, was commissioned into the
      RN, finally sold for scrap in 1817.
      The Shannon, which took much fewer hits, was declared
      unrepairable and junked.
      Both ships carried the same number and size guns.

      Fitz

      =====
      Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

      "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

      "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

      http://mail.yahoo.com/