Re: [WarOf1812] Digest Number 691

  • Tod Creasey/OTT/OTI
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 12:56 PM
      >Any particular reason why american privateers were
      >pirates and British and Canadian privateers were not??
      >Halifax produced some very successful privateers in
      >both the AWI and 1812, you know.
      >It would be very sad if the only account of Canadian
      >privateers was the lyrics to "Barrett's Privateers" -
      >does some very brave men no service.

      There is a small but excellent Privateers Museum in Nova Scotia between
      Cape Breton and Halifax but I am not sure where exactly - I want to say
      Liverpool but that would be a guess. Apparently for many years the richest
      man in Canada was usually a privateer making money off of American
      shipping.

      But I would love to more too - anyone have a suggested book?

      Tod