Re: [WarOf1812] Re: War of 1812 Naval Battles

  • JGIL1812@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
      In a message dated 9/1/00 10:20:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time, alaidh@...
      writes:

      << certainly, the brigade that tried to
      take the bridge only made one attempt before informing
      Prevost that it was not practical without Downies
      support. >>

      Fritz... actually Powers and Robinson were both discussed with Prevost's
      decision not to attempt the crossing. Both officers had served in the
      Peninsular with Wellington and thought it quite practical.

      Prevost was by nature an administrator NOT a field officer. His caution held
      the Canada's together when resources were short in supply but it also
      hindered Britain's ability to prosecute the war as they became more plentiful.

      Downie's defeat, while a disappointment should NOT have been a show stopper.
      Prevost should have pressed the attack. Taken or destroyed the supplies and
      then retreated in good order back to the comfort of Montreal. It was a missed
      opportunity. Nothing more. Nothing less.

      JG/RE
    • Scott McDonald
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
        >--- Scott McDonald <raintree@...> wrote:

        [snip]
        >> Capt. Gordon who's crews manhandled their ships up
        >> the Patuxent. On the
        >> passage back they were contested and at one point
        >> Gordon had a ship
        >> purposely list to one side to elevate the deck guns
        >> to fire at Militia unit
        >> sheltering on a wooded hill. Cool..
        >>
        >> Cheers
        >> Scott McD.
        >>

        >Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
        >Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that hard a
        >sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
        >
        >Fitz

        Sorry, I meant Potamac not Patuxent above. Anyway Gordon had to 'warp' his
        boats upstream. At one point he covered 50 miles in 5 days. The Potomac had
        extensive shoals and oysterbanks. The American frigate President,44 guns,
        had once come downstream from Washington in 42 days but her guns were taken
        out in order to float her over the shoals.
        Gordons squadron:
        Sea Horse 38 guns
        Euryalus 36 guns
        Aetna, Devastation and Meteor bomb ships
        Erebus rocket ship
        Anna Maria dispatch boat

        Cheers
        Scott McD.
      • Ed Seufert
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
          --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:

          > Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
          > Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that hard a
          > sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
          >
          > Fitz

          Actually Alexandria lies about 5 miles below the Navy
          Yard. And I don't believe they ever built 44's there
          just 28's and 36's. One was on the stocks when the
          Navy Yard was set on fire.

          The Americans had removed all navigational signs from
          the Potomac and Gordon's squadron had to feel its way
          up to Alaxandria with several ships grounding on the
          numerous shoals. Grudgingly, the Americans admired
          this feat of British seamanship.

          Fort Warburton was blown up by its defenders after a
          short bombardment but had provided the only American
          defense.

          By the time Gordon got to Alexandria, Washington was in
          flames. The town fathers took one look upriver and threw
          in the towel. As part of the capitulation terms, Gordon
          reprovisioned his squadron and added, I think, 14 ships
          full of captured goods and sailed back down the river.

          This time the Americans had built batteries along the
          shoreline. Through several running battles and again
          the groundings, Gordon got the entire squadron out.
          Lucky for him, he had the bomb vessels with him and he
          used them to blast his way through.

          Incidentally, it is supposed that Gordon is the model
          of Forrester's Hornblower. Their careers followed the
          same path and the above scenario matches Hornblowers
          adventures in the Baltic. Notes on Gordon were found
          among Forrester's papers.

          Ed Seufert
          Royal Marines
        • mmathews@VAX2.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
            >--- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:
            >>

            >> Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
            >> Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that hard a
            >> sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
            >>
            >> Fitz
            >>
            >Actually Alexandria lies about 5 miles below the Navy
            >Yard. And I don't believe they ever built 44's there
            >just 28's and 36's. One was on the stocks when the
            >Navy Yard was set on fire.

            I *think* this is where the Columbia was burned IIRC, and she was rated a
            44. Could easily be wrong.

            Michael

            Voice: (507) 285-7585 Cel: (507) 450-3535 Fax: (507) 280-5568
            ------------------------------
            "It find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
            - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
          • Fitzhugh MacCrae
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
              --- mmathews@... wrote:
              > >--- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae
              > <alaidh@y...> wrote:
              > >>

              > >> Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
              > >> Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that
              > hard a
              > >> sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
              > >>
              > >> Fitz
              > >>
              > >Actually Alexandria lies about 5 miles below the
              > Navy
              > >Yard. And I don't believe they ever built 44's
              > there
              > >just 28's and 36's. One was on the stocks when the
              > >Navy Yard was set on fire.
              > >

              > I *think* this is where the Columbia was burned
              > IIRC, and she was rated a
              > 44. Could easily be wrong.

              You are correct - the Columbia was a 44. Also present
              and burned at the time was the New York 36, Boston 32,
              at least one of the old 28's, and the Argus II, 18.

              Fitz

              =====
              Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

              "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

              "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

              http://mail.yahoo.com/
            • mmathews@VAX2.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                >You are correct - the Columbia was a 44. Also present
                >and burned at the time was the New York 36, Boston 32,
                >at least one of the old 28's, and the Argus II, 18.

                The old 28 would be the Adams.

                Michael

                Voice: (507) 285-7585 Cel: (507) 450-3535 Fax: (507) 280-5568
                ------------------------------
                "It find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
                - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
              • Rob Taylor
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                  --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                  . Without the support of Downie's squadron to provide
                  defellade fire support, it would have been a
                  slaughter.

                  Fitz these men had been under more intense fire than
                  this in Europe, thyey would over came the artillery
                  and pushed on.

                  --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                  "...and every victory is followed by a retreat..."

                  Not all, but in some cases it would be best if they
                  withdrew, as is the case here. Had they moved forward.

                  --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:

                  now picture the result of trying to get even the same
                  number of troops across that bridhe in column, with an
                  even greater4 nummber of guns zeroed in on it. Macomb
                  was an artillery officer originally,

                  Are you saying because these guns were aimed at the
                  bridge, and Macomb was an artillery officer, that was
                  reason to pack up and go home. I think not. They
                  should have presed on by what ever way was best for
                  them. They would have taken Plattsburgh no doubt. Then
                  they would have had to retreat.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com/
                • Col Sjt Jones
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                    --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:

                    > --- mmathews@V... wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > >Hear, hear. The toadie Americans could only put
                    > > out privateers and
                    > > >pirates.
                    >

                    > Any particular reason why american privateers were
                    > pirates and British and Canadian privateers were not??
                    > Halifax produced some very successful privateers in
                    > both the AWI and 1812, you know.
                    > It would be very sad if the only account of Canadian
                    > privateers was the lyrics to "Barrett's Privateers" -
                    > does some very brave men no service.
                    > >
                    > > Kind of a shame too. There were plenty of ships 'o
                    > > the line building, and
                    > > easily *could* have been ready for the war. In 1815
                    > > a lot of ships were
                    > > finally completed, all too late to have any effect.
                    > > But didn't both sides
                    > > have a massive SOL on Lake Ontario? Something in
                    > > the nature of a 100
                    > > gunner?
                    >
                    > Yeo had a 112 gun ship building (among others), the
                    > Americans had a 120 building (among others). While
                    > Roosevelt states that the New Orleans was a 74,
                    > Chappelle gives the dimensions and guns carried, and
                    > clearly shows that it was much bigger. A photo of the
                    > hulk of the New Orleans up on blocks in thye early
                    > 1880's exists - if you like, I can send you a jpg of
                    > it back-channel.
                    >
                    > Fitz

                    The British first-rate St. Lawrence was in commission on Lake Ontario
                    in Oct. 1814. Wolfe and Canada were in frame.

                    Doug Jones

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com/
                  • Fitzhugh MacCrae
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                      --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:

                      > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                      > . Without the support of Downie's squadron to
                      > provide
                      > defellade fire support, it would have been a
                      > slaughter.
                      >
                      > Fitz these men had been under more intense fire than
                      > this in Europe, thyey would over came the artillery
                      > and pushed on.

                      The Saranac Bridge used to be the longest uncovered
                      bridge in New York, 212 feet long by 18 feet wide.
                      assuming they packed it shouolder to shoulder, each
                      rank is only 6 men wide. The bridge is being raked by
                      heavy cannonfire (figure one round per 90 seconds for
                      a 24 pdr, use that as an average as the heavy guns
                      included both 32's and 18's as well as 24's) My map
                      (photocopy of the one at West Point) shows 19 heavy
                      guns that can bear within an arc of 30 degrees,
                      centered on the bridge. All 19 guns are within 500
                      yards of the south end of the bridge. This works out
                      as one heavy shot hitting a tightly packed column of
                      men from the one angle that will cause the most
                      casualties about every 5 seconds.
                      The math is simple - the bridge is a deathtrap. Since
                      it was made of wood and all military stores had
                      already moved south of the river, one cannot but
                      assume that the bridge was left up for a good
                      reason.Powers isn't going to get across with any
                      substantial forces there.
                      Lets go over to Robinson's brigade.
                      Once Robinson pushes aside the 4000 or so militia in
                      the woods (do-able) he comes out on the flats on the
                      south side of the river.
                      So far, so good.
                      Now he has to assault uphill across about 350 yards of
                      open terrain to reach what appears to be the main
                      American line - 6 redoubts and small forts on the
                      ridge crest, each one within comfortable range of the
                      next.
                      Back a little on the reverse slope (I make it an
                      average of 30 yards) are the earthworks, connecting
                      each strong point. The six strongpoints have a total
                      of 31 heavy guns, including three 18 pdr columbiad
                      shell guns. The earthworks connecting them contain 17
                      field guns, probably mostly 6's, with a scattering of
                      12's. The defense line is held by mostly regulars.
                      Assume that most of the heavy guns are distracted by
                      Powers doing a sacrifice play at the bridge, and thus
                      19 guns do not fire at Robinson's brigade at all
                      during their approach.
                      That means 13 heavy guns are able to shoot at Robinson
                      from anywhere from about 1000 yards out to 30 yards,
                      with the fire from the fieldguns masked due to the
                      military crest being in the way.
                      Keep in mind that the earthworks that connected the
                      strongpoints are not visible from the British line of
                      sight, because they are back on the reverse slope.
                      Assume powers's sacrifice is not for naught, and two
                      thirds of Robinson's brigade actually makes it up to
                      the crest....
                      Where they discover that they are standing 30 yards in
                      front of earthworks manned by a brigade of regulars,
                      with lots of field guns loaded with cannister.
                      The smart ones will put themselves on the north side
                      of that crest as fast as they can.
                      Unfortunately, they are in a prime position to take
                      heavy flanking fire from the nearest strongpoints
                      there.
                      Assumingt that Prevost was smart enough to support
                      Robinson (and this takes a great stretch of
                      imagination), they might eventually bull their way
                      throughh the line somewhere. Of course, they have to
                      take each and every redoubt, or anyone who bulled
                      through is caught in a crossfire....
                      Assume that they do, at the usual butcher's bill for
                      that kind of fighting (assume Prevost is a genius and
                      the follow-on brigade is bring scaling ladders so that
                      they can storm the redoubts - and if you get that far,
                      write me back channel with the name of your pusher,
                      'cause he has some really good s__t).
                      Assume all of the above - the British break the line,
                      take all of the redoubts, burn the supplies, and march
                      home claiming a victory.

                      A few more victories like that, and we could have
                      moved the new US capital to Montreal!!
                      When Robinson and Powers said that the direct attack
                      approach was practical, they were playing the same
                      time-honoured game of all sub-commanders ever since
                      Ugghh the Neanderthal took some of his buddies and
                      tried to run those upstart Cro-Magnon out of the
                      neighborhood.
                      "We coulda done it if the Boss hadn't
                      yaddayaddayadda".
                      This is called CYA, and it is an ancient military
                      tradition. Even Elting said that Robinson was talking
                      for posterity, not reality.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                        --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                        A few more victories like that, and we could have
                        moved the new US capital to Montreal!!

                        You have not accounted for the possibility that the
                        Americans might break and run, seeing over 10,000 well
                        trained veteran redcoats marhing at them might have
                        unnerved them. Seeing how the British soldiers
                        themselves did not think it would be a hard position
                        to take, or that the American force in front of them
                        was as tough as the French soldiers they had already
                        faced in Europe. At Bladensburgh there was a bridge
                        covered by an artillery piece. Did a lot of damage
                        too. There were only 5,000 recoats there, and Barney
                        and his men were the only ones that stuck around to
                        see how it all turned out. Considering what happened
                        there I suspect you would not be moving your capital
                        to Montreal anytime soon. I respect your opinion, I
                        just don't agree with it.

                        Rob Taylor

                        Rob Taylor

> [...]
                        > time-honoured game of all sub-commanders ever since
                        > Ugghh the Neanderthal took some of his buddies and
                        > tried to run those upstart Cro-Magnon out of the
                        > neighborhood.
                        > "We coulda done it if the Boss hadn't
                        > yaddayaddayadda".
                        > This is called CYA, and it is an ancient military
                        > tradition. Even Elting said that Robinson was
                        > talking
                        > for posterity, not reality.
                        >

                        > "...and every victory is followed by a retreat..."
                        >
                        > Fitz
                        >

                        > =====
                        > Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies
                        > Collectors Front and Marching Chorale
                        >
                        > "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"
                        >
                        > "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll
                        > leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. .
                        > . ."

                        > Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from

                        http://mail.yahoo.com/
                      • Fitzhugh MacCrae
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                          --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:

                          > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                          > A few more victories like that, and we could have
                          > moved the new US capital to Montreal!!
                          >
                          > You have not accounted for the possibility that the
                          > Americans might break and run, seeing over 10,000
                          > well
                          > trained veteran redcoats marhing at them might have
                          > unnerved them. Seeing how the British soldiers
                          > themselves did not think it would be a hard position
                          > to take, or that the American force in front of them
                          > was as tough as the French soldiers they had already
                          > faced in Europe. At Bladensburgh there was a bridge
                          > covered by an artillery piece. Did a lot of damage
                          > too. There were only 5,000 recoats there, and Barney
                          > and his men were the only ones that stuck around to
                          > see how it all turned out. Considering what happened
                          > there I suspect you would not be moving your capital
                          > to Montreal anytime soon. I respect your opinion, I
                          > just don't agree with it.
                          >
                          > Rob Taylor
                          At Plattsburg there was one gun (I think a 6pdr)
                          manned by militia who didn't even know the proper
                          drill. When captured it was muzzle in the dirt, trail
                          in the air - the gunners had forgotten to put the
                          powder bag in before ramming in the ball. Upon
                          discovering their mistake, they tried to get the ball
                          out by tipping the gun forward, where it got stuck.
                          I've often imagined that some of the British
                          casualties were from men who died laughing at this
                          grade B comedy.
                          At Plattsburg, Macomb wisely chose to send the two
                          brigades of militia off into the woods, while manning
                          the fortified line with regulars. He had an
                          extraordinary artillery advantage, the British had to
                          advance through bottlenecks just to get to the killing
                          zones, and then hike 350 yards uphill against a
                          defensive line most of which they couldn't even see
                          and thus know was there until they hit the military
                          crest. Of such situations are great military disasters
                          made.
                          As far as the regulars running, I very much doubt it.
                          Macomb's people were just as well drilled as Brown's
                          (Plattsburg was where the other camp of instruction
                          had been established, run by Izard, who was a graduate
                          of a French military school) and if neccesary would
                          have died in place just like Scott's brigade at
                          Lundy's Lane. The fact that these were Wellington's
                          veterens was something that seems to have impressed
                          nobody but the Maryland militia. A British offi9cer
                          who had served in both Spain and the Niagara later
                          said that fighting against American regulars was more
                          fierce, much more bloody, and infinately worse than
                          anything experienced in Spain.
                          If Prevost attempted the attack anyway, it would not
                          only have broken his army, the results would have
                          broken England's heart.
                          The one point in the whole mess that I find
                          hysterically funny is that one the British side of the
                          river, there was a road that headed west. A good road,
                          much better than the one he had just come down. It
                          went through the Aderondacks, and came out at
                          Sackett's Harbor on the undefended landward side.
                          If anyone - Prevost, Powers, Robinson, whoever - had
                          thought to ask where the road went, they could have
                          won the war in a month. At that moment, Sackett's
                          Harbor was protected by a single brigade of regulars,
                          some militia, a volunteer light infantry regiment, a
                          dragoon depot squadron, several hundred replacements
                          and recruits waiting to be sorted out and sent to
                          other regiments, and the naval personnel. They
                          landward defenses had been started, but would not be
                          completed until December, 1814. Izard's division had
                          already left for the Niagara. The door was wide open,
                          nobody was expecting an attack, and the route from
                          Sackett's Harbor suth was completely undefended. There
                          would have been nothing between Prevost and New York
                          City than some brittle NY militia.

                          And nobody thought to ask, "By the way, my good man,
                          where does that road go?"

                          Nope - under the circumstances, they would have taken
                          a beating if they had tried to force the river. Not
                          because there was anything lacking in the men, but
                          because their commanders were either too ignorant
                          (Prevost) or too arrogant (Robinson, Powers, et al) to
                          bother to examine all their options.
                          Drummond, Ross, Packenham, Gibbs and Lambert would
                          have never made that mistake, though Keane might have,
                          and after Chippawa Riall really didn't want to mix it
                          with American regulars again, and so would have not
                          been a position to make the mistakes that were made at
                          Plattsburg.

                          Fitz

                          =====

                        • easeufe@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                            mmathews@... writes:

                            > I *think* this is where the Columbia was burned IIRC, and she was rated a
                            > 44. Could easily be wrong.

                            My apologies. You were right Mike. The Columbia was a 44 and was
                            being built when she was burned. She was waiting her copper and upper
                            works to be finished.

                            Ed Seufert, LCpl
                            1812 Royal Marines
                          • Rob Taylor
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 2, 2000
                              Like I said before Fitz, I respect your opinion,But I
                              do not agree with it. Also I believe that the British
                              officers who had served overseas were well aware of
                              what they faced on the other side of the river at
                              Plattsburgh. What saved Plattsburgh pure and simple is
                              Prevost's decision to retreat back into Canada. Mind
                              you, had he let the force attack they still would have
                              had to retreat, but only after winning the victory on
                              land. Nope - under the circumstances, to assume that
                              the American force at Plattsburgh would have
                              thoroughly beaten the British force is quite frankly,
                              assuming alot.

                              I enjoyed your post,

                              http://mail.yahoo.com/
                            • Dave Hill
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                                --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, mmathews@V... wrote:

                                Hear, hear. The toadie Americans could only put out privateers and
                                pirates.

                                Having recently returned from holidays and spent almost a week
                                catching up on the various discussions (over 500 messages), I would
                                like to comment on one discussion.

                                It seems to be generally accepted that the U.S. Navy had little
                                difficulty gaining recruits. It would appear that the Navy had
                                difficulty competing with the Army which was offering bounties that
                                eventually reached $124.00 and 320 acres of land. It appears that
                                even experienced sailors joined the Army for the bounty. The Navy had
                                even more difficulty recruiting for the lake squadrons and the
                                gunboat flotillas. The Navy didn't start paying bounties until
                                1814.

                                The major competition for men was from privateers. The cruises were
                                much shorter (two or three months as compared to a one year
                                enlistment in the Navy) and the pay was potentially much higher. Two
                                examples are, the Yankee out of Bristol RI which captured eight ships
                                worth $300,000.00, and the Rossie out of Baltimore (Capt. Joshua
                                Barney)which captured eighteen vessels worth close to $1,500,000,00.
                                On the negative side is the fact that the RN captured about 150
                                privateers in the first eight months of the war. The U.S. Navy
                                captured about 50 merchant ships during the war, while in the first
                                six months privateers captured about 450 ships.
                                Privateers didn't fight other privateers or warships if it could
                                be avoided. They were in the business for profit not glory.

                                Dave.