Re: [WarOf1812] Re: War of 1812 Naval Battles

  • Rob Taylor
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
      --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
      This means that, with Downie's squadron
      disposed of, even a battered American squadron can cut
      the route of supply by simply sitting offshore and
      shelling the road.

      This is why Prevost did choose to withdraw. But let's
      be honest, had he pushed on he would have taken
      Plattsburgh. He could not have gone much further
      because of the supply lines, but Plattsburgh would
      have been taken. And that's all that Wellington's
      veterans wanted. As far as the artillery having
      stopped the troops in their tracks, by sheer numbers
      alone they could have recovered and pushed on if this
      did indeed happen (I have not read that account yet)

      Rob Taylor

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Fitzhugh MacCrae
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
        --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:

        > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
        > This means that, with Downie's squadron
        > disposed of, even a battered American squadron can
        > cut
        > the route of supply by simply sitting offshore and
        > shelling the road.
        >
        > This is why Prevost did choose to withdraw. But
        > let's
        > be honest, had he pushed on he would have taken
        > Plattsburgh. He could not have gone much further
        > because of the supply lines, but Plattsburgh would
        > have been taken. And that's all that Wellington's
        > veterans wanted.

        "...and every victory is followed by a retreat..."

        (Wellington, 1814, discussing the war in America)

        As far as the artillery having
        > stopped the troops in their tracks, by sheer numbers
        > alone they could have recovered and pushed on if
        > this
        > did indeed happen (I have not read that account yet)

        The British advance was funneled by a bridge on the
        east and a ridge and forest on the west. Without the
        support of Downie's squadron to provide defellade fire
        support, it would have been a slaughter. The bridge
        was 16 feet wide, and there were over 20 heavy guns
        sighted in on it.
        Much has been made of the carnage from Jackson's guns
        firing on formed troops stuck on a limited width
        frontage.... now picture the result of trying to get
        even the same number of troops across that bridhe in
        column, with an even greater4 nummber of guns zeroed
        in on it. Macomb was an artillery officer originally,
        and a good one - I cannot help but wonder if he
        deliberately left the bridge up to credate a funneled
        killing zone. certainly, the brigade that tried to
        take the bridge only made one attempt before informing
        Prevost that it was not practical without Downies
        support.

        Fitz

        =====
        Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

        "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

        "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • Fitzhugh MacCrae
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
          --- mmathews@... wrote:

          > >Hear, hear. The toadie Americans could only put
          > out privateers and
          > >pirates.

          Any particular reason why american privateers were
          pirates and British and Canadian privateers were not??
          Halifax produced some very successful privateers in
          both the AWI and 1812, you know.
          It would be very sad if the only account of Canadian
          privateers was the lyrics to "Barrett's Privateers" -
          does some very brave men no service.

          > Kind of a shame too. There were plenty of ships 'o
          > the line building, and
          > easily *could* have been ready for the war. In 1815
          > a lot of ships were
          > finally completed, all too late to have any effect.
          > But didn't both sides
          > have a massive SOL on Lake Ontario? Something in
          > the nature of a 100
          > gunner?

          Yeo had a 112 gun ship building (among others), the
          Americans had a 120 building (among others). While
          Roosevelt states that the New Orleans was a 74,
          Chappelle gives the dimensions and guns carried, and
          clearly shows that it was much bigger. A photo of the
          hulk of the New Orleans up on blocks in thye early
          1880's exists - if you like, I can send you a jpg of
          it back-channel.

          Fitz

          =====

        • JGIL1812@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
            In a message dated 9/1/00 10:20:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time, alaidh@...
            writes:

            << certainly, the brigade that tried to
            take the bridge only made one attempt before informing
            Prevost that it was not practical without Downies
            support. >>

            Fritz... actually Powers and Robinson were both discussed with Prevost's
            decision not to attempt the crossing. Both officers had served in the
            Peninsular with Wellington and thought it quite practical.

            Prevost was by nature an administrator NOT a field officer. His caution held
            the Canada's together when resources were short in supply but it also
            hindered Britain's ability to prosecute the war as they became more plentiful.

            Downie's defeat, while a disappointment should NOT have been a show stopper.
            Prevost should have pressed the attack. Taken or destroyed the supplies and
            then retreated in good order back to the comfort of Montreal. It was a missed
            opportunity. Nothing more. Nothing less.

            JG/RE
          • Scott McDonald
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
              >--- Scott McDonald <raintree@...> wrote:

              [snip]
              >> Capt. Gordon who's crews manhandled their ships up
              >> the Patuxent. On the
              >> passage back they were contested and at one point
              >> Gordon had a ship
              >> purposely list to one side to elevate the deck guns
              >> to fire at Militia unit
              >> sheltering on a wooded hill. Cool..
              >>
              >> Cheers
              >> Scott McD.
              >>

              >Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
              >Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that hard a
              >sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
              >
              >Fitz

              Sorry, I meant Potamac not Patuxent above. Anyway Gordon had to 'warp' his
              boats upstream. At one point he covered 50 miles in 5 days. The Potomac had
              extensive shoals and oysterbanks. The American frigate President,44 guns,
              had once come downstream from Washington in 42 days but her guns were taken
              out in order to float her over the shoals.
              Gordons squadron:
              Sea Horse 38 guns
              Euryalus 36 guns
              Aetna, Devastation and Meteor bomb ships
              Erebus rocket ship
              Anna Maria dispatch boat

              Cheers
              Scott McD.
            • Ed Seufert
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:

                > Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
                > Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that hard a
                > sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
                >
                > Fitz

                Actually Alexandria lies about 5 miles below the Navy
                Yard. And I don't believe they ever built 44's there
                just 28's and 36's. One was on the stocks when the
                Navy Yard was set on fire.

                The Americans had removed all navigational signs from
                the Potomac and Gordon's squadron had to feel its way
                up to Alaxandria with several ships grounding on the
                numerous shoals. Grudgingly, the Americans admired
                this feat of British seamanship.

                Fort Warburton was blown up by its defenders after a
                short bombardment but had provided the only American
                defense.

                By the time Gordon got to Alexandria, Washington was in
                flames. The town fathers took one look upriver and threw
                in the towel. As part of the capitulation terms, Gordon
                reprovisioned his squadron and added, I think, 14 ships
                full of captured goods and sailed back down the river.

                This time the Americans had built batteries along the
                shoreline. Through several running battles and again
                the groundings, Gordon got the entire squadron out.
                Lucky for him, he had the bomb vessels with him and he
                used them to blast his way through.

                Incidentally, it is supposed that Gordon is the model
                of Forrester's Hornblower. Their careers followed the
                same path and the above scenario matches Hornblowers
                adventures in the Baltic. Notes on Gordon were found
                among Forrester's papers.

                Ed Seufert
                Royal Marines
              • mmathews@VAX2.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                  >--- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
                  >> Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that hard a
                  >> sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
                  >>
                  >> Fitz
                  >>
                  >Actually Alexandria lies about 5 miles below the Navy
                  >Yard. And I don't believe they ever built 44's there
                  >just 28's and 36's. One was on the stocks when the
                  >Navy Yard was set on fire.

                  I *think* this is where the Columbia was burned IIRC, and she was rated a
                  44. Could easily be wrong.

                  Michael

                  Voice: (507) 285-7585 Cel: (507) 450-3535 Fax: (507) 280-5568
                  ------------------------------
                  "It find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
                  - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
                • Fitzhugh MacCrae
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                    --- mmathews@... wrote:
                    > >--- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae
                    > <alaidh@y...> wrote:
                    > >>

                    > >> Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
                    > >> Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that
                    > hard a
                    > >> sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
                    > >>
                    > >> Fitz
                    > >>
                    > >Actually Alexandria lies about 5 miles below the
                    > Navy
                    > >Yard. And I don't believe they ever built 44's
                    > there
                    > >just 28's and 36's. One was on the stocks when the
                    > >Navy Yard was set on fire.
                    > >

                    > I *think* this is where the Columbia was burned
                    > IIRC, and she was rated a
                    > 44. Could easily be wrong.

                    You are correct - the Columbia was a 44. Also present
                    and burned at the time was the New York 36, Boston 32,
                    at least one of the old 28's, and the Argus II, 18.

                    Fitz

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                      >You are correct - the Columbia was a 44. Also present
                      >and burned at the time was the New York 36, Boston 32,
                      >at least one of the old 28's, and the Argus II, 18.

                      The old 28 would be the Adams.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                        --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                        . Without the support of Downie's squadron to provide
                        defellade fire support, it would have been a
                        slaughter.

                        Fitz these men had been under more intense fire than
                        this in Europe, thyey would over came the artillery
                        and pushed on.

                        --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                        "...and every victory is followed by a retreat..."

                        Not all, but in some cases it would be best if they
                        withdrew, as is the case here. Had they moved forward.

                        --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:

                        now picture the result of trying to get even the same
                        number of troops across that bridhe in column, with an
                        even greater4 nummber of guns zeroed in on it. Macomb
                        was an artillery officer originally,

                        Are you saying because these guns were aimed at the
                        bridge, and Macomb was an artillery officer, that was
                        reason to pack up and go home. I think not. They
                        should have presed on by what ever way was best for
                        them. They would have taken Plattsburgh no doubt. Then
                        they would have had to retreat.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com/
                      • Col Sjt Jones
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                          --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:

                          > --- mmathews@V... wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > >Hear, hear. The toadie Americans could only put
                          > > out privateers and
                          > > >pirates.
                          >

                          > Any particular reason why american privateers were
                          > pirates and British and Canadian privateers were not??
                          > Halifax produced some very successful privateers in
                          > both the AWI and 1812, you know.
                          > It would be very sad if the only account of Canadian
                          > privateers was the lyrics to "Barrett's Privateers" -
                          > does some very brave men no service.
                          > >
                          > > Kind of a shame too. There were plenty of ships 'o
                          > > the line building, and
                          > > easily *could* have been ready for the war. In 1815
                          > > a lot of ships were
                          > > finally completed, all too late to have any effect.
                          > > But didn't both sides
                          > > have a massive SOL on Lake Ontario? Something in
                          > > the nature of a 100
                          > > gunner?
                          >
                          > Yeo had a 112 gun ship building (among others), the
                          > Americans had a 120 building (among others). While
                          > Roosevelt states that the New Orleans was a 74,
                          > Chappelle gives the dimensions and guns carried, and
                          > clearly shows that it was much bigger. A photo of the
                          > hulk of the New Orleans up on blocks in thye early
                          > 1880's exists - if you like, I can send you a jpg of
                          > it back-channel.
                          >
                          > Fitz

                          The British first-rate St. Lawrence was in commission on Lake Ontario
                          in Oct. 1814. Wolfe and Canada were in frame.

                          Doug Jones

                          > http://mail.yahoo.com/
                        • Fitzhugh MacCrae
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                            --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:

                            > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                            > . Without the support of Downie's squadron to
                            > provide
                            > defellade fire support, it would have been a
                            > slaughter.
                            >
                            > Fitz these men had been under more intense fire than
                            > this in Europe, thyey would over came the artillery
                            > and pushed on.

                            The Saranac Bridge used to be the longest uncovered
                            bridge in New York, 212 feet long by 18 feet wide.
                            assuming they packed it shouolder to shoulder, each
                            rank is only 6 men wide. The bridge is being raked by
                            heavy cannonfire (figure one round per 90 seconds for
                            a 24 pdr, use that as an average as the heavy guns
                            included both 32's and 18's as well as 24's) My map
                            (photocopy of the one at West Point) shows 19 heavy
                            guns that can bear within an arc of 30 degrees,
                            centered on the bridge. All 19 guns are within 500
                            yards of the south end of the bridge. This works out
                            as one heavy shot hitting a tightly packed column of
                            men from the one angle that will cause the most
                            casualties about every 5 seconds.
                            The math is simple - the bridge is a deathtrap. Since
                            it was made of wood and all military stores had
                            already moved south of the river, one cannot but
                            assume that the bridge was left up for a good
                            reason.Powers isn't going to get across with any
                            substantial forces there.
                            Lets go over to Robinson's brigade.
                            Once Robinson pushes aside the 4000 or so militia in
                            the woods (do-able) he comes out on the flats on the
                            south side of the river.
                            So far, so good.
                            Now he has to assault uphill across about 350 yards of
                            open terrain to reach what appears to be the main
                            American line - 6 redoubts and small forts on the
                            ridge crest, each one within comfortable range of the
                            next.
                            Back a little on the reverse slope (I make it an
                            average of 30 yards) are the earthworks, connecting
                            each strong point. The six strongpoints have a total
                            of 31 heavy guns, including three 18 pdr columbiad
                            shell guns. The earthworks connecting them contain 17
                            field guns, probably mostly 6's, with a scattering of
                            12's. The defense line is held by mostly regulars.
                            Assume that most of the heavy guns are distracted by
                            Powers doing a sacrifice play at the bridge, and thus
                            19 guns do not fire at Robinson's brigade at all
                            during their approach.
                            That means 13 heavy guns are able to shoot at Robinson
                            from anywhere from about 1000 yards out to 30 yards,
                            with the fire from the fieldguns masked due to the
                            military crest being in the way.
                            Keep in mind that the earthworks that connected the
                            strongpoints are not visible from the British line of
                            sight, because they are back on the reverse slope.
                            Assume powers's sacrifice is not for naught, and two
                            thirds of Robinson's brigade actually makes it up to
                            the crest....
                            Where they discover that they are standing 30 yards in
                            front of earthworks manned by a brigade of regulars,
                            with lots of field guns loaded with cannister.
                            The smart ones will put themselves on the north side
                            of that crest as fast as they can.
                            Unfortunately, they are in a prime position to take
                            heavy flanking fire from the nearest strongpoints
                            there.
                            Assumingt that Prevost was smart enough to support
                            Robinson (and this takes a great stretch of
                            imagination), they might eventually bull their way
                            throughh the line somewhere. Of course, they have to
                            take each and every redoubt, or anyone who bulled
                            through is caught in a crossfire....
                            Assume that they do, at the usual butcher's bill for
                            that kind of fighting (assume Prevost is a genius and
                            the follow-on brigade is bring scaling ladders so that
                            they can storm the redoubts - and if you get that far,
                            write me back channel with the name of your pusher,
                            'cause he has some really good s__t).
                            Assume all of the above - the British break the line,
                            take all of the redoubts, burn the supplies, and march
                            home claiming a victory.

                            A few more victories like that, and we could have
                            moved the new US capital to Montreal!!
                            When Robinson and Powers said that the direct attack
                            approach was practical, they were playing the same
                            time-honoured game of all sub-commanders ever since
                            Ugghh the Neanderthal took some of his buddies and
                            tried to run those upstart Cro-Magnon out of the
                            neighborhood.
                            "We coulda done it if the Boss hadn't
                            yaddayaddayadda".
                            This is called CYA, and it is an ancient military
                            tradition. Even Elting said that Robinson was talking
                            for posterity, not reality.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                              --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                              A few more victories like that, and we could have
                              moved the new US capital to Montreal!!

                              You have not accounted for the possibility that the
                              Americans might break and run, seeing over 10,000 well
                              trained veteran redcoats marhing at them might have
                              unnerved them. Seeing how the British soldiers
                              themselves did not think it would be a hard position
                              to take, or that the American force in front of them
                              was as tough as the French soldiers they had already
                              faced in Europe. At Bladensburgh there was a bridge
                              covered by an artillery piece. Did a lot of damage
                              too. There were only 5,000 recoats there, and Barney
                              and his men were the only ones that stuck around to
                              see how it all turned out. Considering what happened
                              there I suspect you would not be moving your capital
                              to Montreal anytime soon. I respect your opinion, I
                              just don't agree with it.

                              Rob Taylor

                              Rob Taylor

> [...]
                              > time-honoured game of all sub-commanders ever since
                              > Ugghh the Neanderthal took some of his buddies and
                              > tried to run those upstart Cro-Magnon out of the
                              > neighborhood.
                              > "We coulda done it if the Boss hadn't
                              > yaddayaddayadda".
                              > This is called CYA, and it is an ancient military
                              > tradition. Even Elting said that Robinson was
                              > talking
                              > for posterity, not reality.
                              >

                              > "...and every victory is followed by a retreat..."
                              >
                              > Fitz
                              >

                              > =====
                              > Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies
                              > Collectors Front and Marching Chorale
                              >
                              > "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"
                              >
                              > "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll
                              > leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. .
                              > . ."

                              > Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from

                              http://mail.yahoo.com/
                            • Fitzhugh MacCrae
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                                --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:

                                > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                                > A few more victories like that, and we could have
                                > moved the new US capital to Montreal!!
                                >
                                > You have not accounted for the possibility that the
                                > Americans might break and run, seeing over 10,000
                                > well
                                > trained veteran redcoats marhing at them might have
                                > unnerved them. Seeing how the British soldiers
                                > themselves did not think it would be a hard position
                                > to take, or that the American force in front of them
                                > was as tough as the French soldiers they had already
                                > faced in Europe. At Bladensburgh there was a bridge
                                > covered by an artillery piece. Did a lot of damage
                                > too. There were only 5,000 recoats there, and Barney
                                > and his men were the only ones that stuck around to
                                > see how it all turned out. Considering what happened
                                > there I suspect you would not be moving your capital
                                > to Montreal anytime soon. I respect your opinion, I
                                > just don't agree with it.
                                >
                                > Rob Taylor
                                At Plattsburg there was one gun (I think a 6pdr)
                                manned by militia who didn't even know the proper
                                drill. When captured it was muzzle in the dirt, trail
                                in the air - the gunners had forgotten to put the
                                powder bag in before ramming in the ball. Upon
                                discovering their mistake, they tried to get the ball
                                out by tipping the gun forward, where it got stuck.
                                I've often imagined that some of the British
                                casualties were from men who died laughing at this
                                grade B comedy.
                                At Plattsburg, Macomb wisely chose to send the two
                                brigades of militia off into the woods, while manning
                                the fortified line with regulars. He had an
                                extraordinary artillery advantage, the British had to
                                advance through bottlenecks just to get to the killing
                                zones, and then hike 350 yards uphill against a
                                defensive line most of which they couldn't even see
                                and thus know was there until they hit the military
                                crest. Of such situations are great military disasters
                                made.
                                As far as the regulars running, I very much doubt it.
                                Macomb's people were just as well drilled as Brown's
                                (Plattsburg was where the other camp of instruction
                                had been established, run by Izard, who was a graduate
                                of a French military school) and if neccesary would
                                have died in place just like Scott's brigade at
                                Lundy's Lane. The fact that these were Wellington's
                                veterens was something that seems to have impressed
                                nobody but the Maryland militia. A British offi9cer
                                who had served in both Spain and the Niagara later
                                said that fighting against American regulars was more
                                fierce, much more bloody, and infinately worse than
                                anything experienced in Spain.
                                If Prevost attempted the attack anyway, it would not
                                only have broken his army, the results would have
                                broken England's heart.
                                The one point in the whole mess that I find
                                hysterically funny is that one the British side of the
                                river, there was a road that headed west. A good road,
                                much better than the one he had just come down. It
                                went through the Aderondacks, and came out at
                                Sackett's Harbor on the undefended landward side.
                                If anyone - Prevost, Powers, Robinson, whoever - had
                                thought to ask where the road went, they could have
                                won the war in a month. At that moment, Sackett's
                                Harbor was protected by a single brigade of regulars,
                                some militia, a volunteer light infantry regiment, a
                                dragoon depot squadron, several hundred replacements
                                and recruits waiting to be sorted out and sent to
                                other regiments, and the naval personnel. They
                                landward defenses had been started, but would not be
                                completed until December, 1814. Izard's division had
                                already left for the Niagara. The door was wide open,
                                nobody was expecting an attack, and the route from
                                Sackett's Harbor suth was completely undefended. There
                                would have been nothing between Prevost and New York
                                City than some brittle NY militia.

                                And nobody thought to ask, "By the way, my good man,
                                where does that road go?"

                                Nope - under the circumstances, they would have taken
                                a beating if they had tried to force the river. Not
                                because there was anything lacking in the men, but
                                because their commanders were either too ignorant
                                (Prevost) or too arrogant (Robinson, Powers, et al) to
                                bother to examine all their options.
                                Drummond, Ross, Packenham, Gibbs and Lambert would
                                have never made that mistake, though Keane might have,
                                and after Chippawa Riall really didn't want to mix it
                                with American regulars again, and so would have not
                                been a position to make the mistakes that were made at
                                Plattsburg.

                                Fitz

                                =====

                              • easeufe@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                                  mmathews@... writes:

                                  > I *think* this is where the Columbia was burned IIRC, and she was rated a
                                  > 44. Could easily be wrong.

                                  My apologies. You were right Mike. The Columbia was a 44 and was
                                  being built when she was burned. She was waiting her copper and upper
                                  works to be finished.

                                  Ed Seufert, LCpl
                                  1812 Royal Marines
                                • Rob Taylor
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 2, 2000
                                    Like I said before Fitz, I respect your opinion,But I
                                    do not agree with it. Also I believe that the British
                                    officers who had served overseas were well aware of
                                    what they faced on the other side of the river at
                                    Plattsburgh. What saved Plattsburgh pure and simple is
                                    Prevost's decision to retreat back into Canada. Mind
                                    you, had he let the force attack they still would have
                                    had to retreat, but only after winning the victory on
                                    land. Nope - under the circumstances, to assume that
                                    the American force at Plattsburgh would have
                                    thoroughly beaten the British force is quite frankly,
                                    assuming alot.

                                    I enjoyed your post,

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com/
                                  • Dave Hill
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                                      --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, mmathews@V... wrote:

                                      Hear, hear. The toadie Americans could only put out privateers and
                                      pirates.

                                      Having recently returned from holidays and spent almost a week
                                      catching up on the various discussions (over 500 messages), I would
                                      like to comment on one discussion.

                                      It seems to be generally accepted that the U.S. Navy had little
                                      difficulty gaining recruits. It would appear that the Navy had
                                      difficulty competing with the Army which was offering bounties that
                                      eventually reached $124.00 and 320 acres of land. It appears that
                                      even experienced sailors joined the Army for the bounty. The Navy had
                                      even more difficulty recruiting for the lake squadrons and the
                                      gunboat flotillas. The Navy didn't start paying bounties until
                                      1814.

                                      The major competition for men was from privateers. The cruises were
                                      much shorter (two or three months as compared to a one year
                                      enlistment in the Navy) and the pay was potentially much higher. Two
                                      examples are, the Yankee out of Bristol RI which captured eight ships
                                      worth $300,000.00, and the Rossie out of Baltimore (Capt. Joshua
                                      Barney)which captured eighteen vessels worth close to $1,500,000,00.
                                      On the negative side is the fact that the RN captured about 150
                                      privateers in the first eight months of the war. The U.S. Navy
                                      captured about 50 merchant ships during the war, while in the first
                                      six months privateers captured about 450 ships.
                                      Privateers didn't fight other privateers or warships if it could
                                      be avoided. They were in the business for profit not glory.

                                      Dave.