Re: [WarOf1812] Re: War of 1812 Naval Battles

  • mmathews@VAX2.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000

      >Hear, hear. The toadie Americans could only put out privateers and
      >pirates.

      Kind of a shame too. There were plenty of ships 'o the line building, and
      easily *could* have been ready for the war. In 1815 a lot of ships were
      finally completed, all too late to have any effect. But didn't both sides
      have a massive SOL on Lake Ontario? Something in the nature of a 100
      gunner? Still, a squadron of American 74s (rated, really 92s) attempting
      to break a blockade would have been a spectacular fight. Just pity the
      poor b*****ds who had to man them on both sides.

      Michael

      Voice: (507) 285-7585 Cel: (507) 450-3535 Fax: (507) 280-5568
      ------------------------------
      "It find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
      - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
    • Rob Taylor
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
        --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
        This means that, with Downie's squadron
        disposed of, even a battered American squadron can cut
        the route of supply by simply sitting offshore and
        shelling the road.

        This is why Prevost did choose to withdraw. But let's
        be honest, had he pushed on he would have taken
        Plattsburgh. He could not have gone much further
        because of the supply lines, but Plattsburgh would
        have been taken. And that's all that Wellington's
        veterans wanted. As far as the artillery having
        stopped the troops in their tracks, by sheer numbers
        alone they could have recovered and pushed on if this
        did indeed happen (I have not read that account yet)

        Rob Taylor

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • Fitzhugh MacCrae
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
          --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:

          > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
          > This means that, with Downie's squadron
          > disposed of, even a battered American squadron can
          > cut
          > the route of supply by simply sitting offshore and
          > shelling the road.
          >
          > This is why Prevost did choose to withdraw. But
          > let's
          > be honest, had he pushed on he would have taken
          > Plattsburgh. He could not have gone much further
          > because of the supply lines, but Plattsburgh would
          > have been taken. And that's all that Wellington's
          > veterans wanted.

          "...and every victory is followed by a retreat..."

          (Wellington, 1814, discussing the war in America)

          As far as the artillery having
          > stopped the troops in their tracks, by sheer numbers
          > alone they could have recovered and pushed on if
          > this
          > did indeed happen (I have not read that account yet)

          The British advance was funneled by a bridge on the
          east and a ridge and forest on the west. Without the
          support of Downie's squadron to provide defellade fire
          support, it would have been a slaughter. The bridge
          was 16 feet wide, and there were over 20 heavy guns
          sighted in on it.
          Much has been made of the carnage from Jackson's guns
          firing on formed troops stuck on a limited width
          frontage.... now picture the result of trying to get
          even the same number of troops across that bridhe in
          column, with an even greater4 nummber of guns zeroed
          in on it. Macomb was an artillery officer originally,
          and a good one - I cannot help but wonder if he
          deliberately left the bridge up to credate a funneled
          killing zone. certainly, the brigade that tried to
          take the bridge only made one attempt before informing
          Prevost that it was not practical without Downies
          support.

          Fitz

          =====
          Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

          "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

          "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • Fitzhugh MacCrae
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
            --- mmathews@... wrote:

            > >Hear, hear. The toadie Americans could only put
            > out privateers and
            > >pirates.

            Any particular reason why american privateers were
            pirates and British and Canadian privateers were not??
            Halifax produced some very successful privateers in
            both the AWI and 1812, you know.
            It would be very sad if the only account of Canadian
            privateers was the lyrics to "Barrett's Privateers" -
            does some very brave men no service.

            > Kind of a shame too. There were plenty of ships 'o
            > the line building, and
            > easily *could* have been ready for the war. In 1815
            > a lot of ships were
            > finally completed, all too late to have any effect.
            > But didn't both sides
            > have a massive SOL on Lake Ontario? Something in
            > the nature of a 100
            > gunner?

            Yeo had a 112 gun ship building (among others), the
            Americans had a 120 building (among others). While
            Roosevelt states that the New Orleans was a 74,
            Chappelle gives the dimensions and guns carried, and
            clearly shows that it was much bigger. A photo of the
            hulk of the New Orleans up on blocks in thye early
            1880's exists - if you like, I can send you a jpg of
            it back-channel.

            Fitz

            =====

          • JGIL1812@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
              In a message dated 9/1/00 10:20:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time, alaidh@...
              writes:

              << certainly, the brigade that tried to
              take the bridge only made one attempt before informing
              Prevost that it was not practical without Downies
              support. >>

              Fritz... actually Powers and Robinson were both discussed with Prevost's
              decision not to attempt the crossing. Both officers had served in the
              Peninsular with Wellington and thought it quite practical.

              Prevost was by nature an administrator NOT a field officer. His caution held
              the Canada's together when resources were short in supply but it also
              hindered Britain's ability to prosecute the war as they became more plentiful.

              Downie's defeat, while a disappointment should NOT have been a show stopper.
              Prevost should have pressed the attack. Taken or destroyed the supplies and
              then retreated in good order back to the comfort of Montreal. It was a missed
              opportunity. Nothing more. Nothing less.

              JG/RE
            • Scott McDonald
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                >--- Scott McDonald <raintree@...> wrote:

                [snip]
                >> Capt. Gordon who's crews manhandled their ships up
                >> the Patuxent. On the
                >> passage back they were contested and at one point
                >> Gordon had a ship
                >> purposely list to one side to elevate the deck guns
                >> to fire at Militia unit
                >> sheltering on a wooded hill. Cool..
                >>
                >> Cheers
                >> Scott McD.
                >>

                >Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
                >Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that hard a
                >sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
                >
                >Fitz

                Sorry, I meant Potamac not Patuxent above. Anyway Gordon had to 'warp' his
                boats upstream. At one point he covered 50 miles in 5 days. The Potomac had
                extensive shoals and oysterbanks. The American frigate President,44 guns,
                had once come downstream from Washington in 42 days but her guns were taken
                out in order to float her over the shoals.
                Gordons squadron:
                Sea Horse 38 guns
                Euryalus 36 guns
                Aetna, Devastation and Meteor bomb ships
                Erebus rocket ship
                Anna Maria dispatch boat

                Cheers
                Scott McD.
              • Ed Seufert
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                  --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:

                  > Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
                  > Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that hard a
                  > sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
                  >
                  > Fitz

                  Actually Alexandria lies about 5 miles below the Navy
                  Yard. And I don't believe they ever built 44's there
                  just 28's and 36's. One was on the stocks when the
                  Navy Yard was set on fire.

                  The Americans had removed all navigational signs from
                  the Potomac and Gordon's squadron had to feel its way
                  up to Alaxandria with several ships grounding on the
                  numerous shoals. Grudgingly, the Americans admired
                  this feat of British seamanship.

                  Fort Warburton was blown up by its defenders after a
                  short bombardment but had provided the only American
                  defense.

                  By the time Gordon got to Alexandria, Washington was in
                  flames. The town fathers took one look upriver and threw
                  in the towel. As part of the capitulation terms, Gordon
                  reprovisioned his squadron and added, I think, 14 ships
                  full of captured goods and sailed back down the river.

                  This time the Americans had built batteries along the
                  shoreline. Through several running battles and again
                  the groundings, Gordon got the entire squadron out.
                  Lucky for him, he had the bomb vessels with him and he
                  used them to blast his way through.

                  Incidentally, it is supposed that Gordon is the model
                  of Forrester's Hornblower. Their careers followed the
                  same path and the above scenario matches Hornblowers
                  adventures in the Baltic. Notes on Gordon were found
                  among Forrester's papers.

                  Ed Seufert
                  Royal Marines
                • mmathews@VAX2.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                    >--- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:
                    >>

                    >> Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
                    >> Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that hard a
                    >> sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
                    >>
                    >> Fitz
                    >>
                    >Actually Alexandria lies about 5 miles below the Navy
                    >Yard. And I don't believe they ever built 44's there
                    >just 28's and 36's. One was on the stocks when the
                    >Navy Yard was set on fire.

                    I *think* this is where the Columbia was burned IIRC, and she was rated a
                    44. Could easily be wrong.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                      --- mmathews@... wrote:
                      > >--- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae
                      > <alaidh@y...> wrote:
                      > >>

                      > >> Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
                      > >> Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that
                      > hard a
                      > >> sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
                      > >>
                      > >> Fitz
                      > >>
                      > >Actually Alexandria lies about 5 miles below the
                      > Navy
                      > >Yard. And I don't believe they ever built 44's
                      > there
                      > >just 28's and 36's. One was on the stocks when the
                      > >Navy Yard was set on fire.
                      > >

                      > I *think* this is where the Columbia was burned
                      > IIRC, and she was rated a
                      > 44. Could easily be wrong.

                      You are correct - the Columbia was a 44. Also present
                      and burned at the time was the New York 36, Boston 32,
                      at least one of the old 28's, and the Argus II, 18.

                      Fitz

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                        >You are correct - the Columbia was a 44. Also present
                        >and burned at the time was the New York 36, Boston 32,
                        >at least one of the old 28's, and the Argus II, 18.

                        The old 28 would be the Adams.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                          --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                          . Without the support of Downie's squadron to provide
                          defellade fire support, it would have been a
                          slaughter.

                          Fitz these men had been under more intense fire than
                          this in Europe, thyey would over came the artillery
                          and pushed on.

                          --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                          "...and every victory is followed by a retreat..."

                          Not all, but in some cases it would be best if they
                          withdrew, as is the case here. Had they moved forward.

                          --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:

                          now picture the result of trying to get even the same
                          number of troops across that bridhe in column, with an
                          even greater4 nummber of guns zeroed in on it. Macomb
                          was an artillery officer originally,

                          Are you saying because these guns were aimed at the
                          bridge, and Macomb was an artillery officer, that was
                          reason to pack up and go home. I think not. They
                          should have presed on by what ever way was best for
                          them. They would have taken Plattsburgh no doubt. Then
                          they would have had to retreat.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com/
                        • Col Sjt Jones
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                            --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:

                            > --- mmathews@V... wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > >Hear, hear. The toadie Americans could only put
                            > > out privateers and
                            > > >pirates.
                            >

                            > Any particular reason why american privateers were
                            > pirates and British and Canadian privateers were not??
                            > Halifax produced some very successful privateers in
                            > both the AWI and 1812, you know.
                            > It would be very sad if the only account of Canadian
                            > privateers was the lyrics to "Barrett's Privateers" -
                            > does some very brave men no service.
                            > >
                            > > Kind of a shame too. There were plenty of ships 'o
                            > > the line building, and
                            > > easily *could* have been ready for the war. In 1815
                            > > a lot of ships were
                            > > finally completed, all too late to have any effect.
                            > > But didn't both sides
                            > > have a massive SOL on Lake Ontario? Something in
                            > > the nature of a 100
                            > > gunner?
                            >
                            > Yeo had a 112 gun ship building (among others), the
                            > Americans had a 120 building (among others). While
                            > Roosevelt states that the New Orleans was a 74,
                            > Chappelle gives the dimensions and guns carried, and
                            > clearly shows that it was much bigger. A photo of the
                            > hulk of the New Orleans up on blocks in thye early
                            > 1880's exists - if you like, I can send you a jpg of
                            > it back-channel.
                            >
                            > Fitz

                            The British first-rate St. Lawrence was in commission on Lake Ontario
                            in Oct. 1814. Wolfe and Canada were in frame.

                            Doug Jones

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com/
                          • Fitzhugh MacCrae
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                              --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:

                              > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                              > . Without the support of Downie's squadron to
                              > provide
                              > defellade fire support, it would have been a
                              > slaughter.
                              >
                              > Fitz these men had been under more intense fire than
                              > this in Europe, thyey would over came the artillery
                              > and pushed on.

                              The Saranac Bridge used to be the longest uncovered
                              bridge in New York, 212 feet long by 18 feet wide.
                              assuming they packed it shouolder to shoulder, each
                              rank is only 6 men wide. The bridge is being raked by
                              heavy cannonfire (figure one round per 90 seconds for
                              a 24 pdr, use that as an average as the heavy guns
                              included both 32's and 18's as well as 24's) My map
                              (photocopy of the one at West Point) shows 19 heavy
                              guns that can bear within an arc of 30 degrees,
                              centered on the bridge. All 19 guns are within 500
                              yards of the south end of the bridge. This works out
                              as one heavy shot hitting a tightly packed column of
                              men from the one angle that will cause the most
                              casualties about every 5 seconds.
                              The math is simple - the bridge is a deathtrap. Since
                              it was made of wood and all military stores had
                              already moved south of the river, one cannot but
                              assume that the bridge was left up for a good
                              reason.Powers isn't going to get across with any
                              substantial forces there.
                              Lets go over to Robinson's brigade.
                              Once Robinson pushes aside the 4000 or so militia in
                              the woods (do-able) he comes out on the flats on the
                              south side of the river.
                              So far, so good.
                              Now he has to assault uphill across about 350 yards of
                              open terrain to reach what appears to be the main
                              American line - 6 redoubts and small forts on the
                              ridge crest, each one within comfortable range of the
                              next.
                              Back a little on the reverse slope (I make it an
                              average of 30 yards) are the earthworks, connecting
                              each strong point. The six strongpoints have a total
                              of 31 heavy guns, including three 18 pdr columbiad
                              shell guns. The earthworks connecting them contain 17
                              field guns, probably mostly 6's, with a scattering of
                              12's. The defense line is held by mostly regulars.
                              Assume that most of the heavy guns are distracted by
                              Powers doing a sacrifice play at the bridge, and thus
                              19 guns do not fire at Robinson's brigade at all
                              during their approach.
                              That means 13 heavy guns are able to shoot at Robinson
                              from anywhere from about 1000 yards out to 30 yards,
                              with the fire from the fieldguns masked due to the
                              military crest being in the way.
                              Keep in mind that the earthworks that connected the
                              strongpoints are not visible from the British line of
                              sight, because they are back on the reverse slope.
                              Assume powers's sacrifice is not for naught, and two
                              thirds of Robinson's brigade actually makes it up to
                              the crest....
                              Where they discover that they are standing 30 yards in
                              front of earthworks manned by a brigade of regulars,
                              with lots of field guns loaded with cannister.
                              The smart ones will put themselves on the north side
                              of that crest as fast as they can.
                              Unfortunately, they are in a prime position to take
                              heavy flanking fire from the nearest strongpoints
                              there.
                              Assumingt that Prevost was smart enough to support
                              Robinson (and this takes a great stretch of
                              imagination), they might eventually bull their way
                              throughh the line somewhere. Of course, they have to
                              take each and every redoubt, or anyone who bulled
                              through is caught in a crossfire....
                              Assume that they do, at the usual butcher's bill for
                              that kind of fighting (assume Prevost is a genius and
                              the follow-on brigade is bring scaling ladders so that
                              they can storm the redoubts - and if you get that far,
                              write me back channel with the name of your pusher,
                              'cause he has some really good s__t).
                              Assume all of the above - the British break the line,
                              take all of the redoubts, burn the supplies, and march
                              home claiming a victory.

                              A few more victories like that, and we could have
                              moved the new US capital to Montreal!!
                              When Robinson and Powers said that the direct attack
                              approach was practical, they were playing the same
                              time-honoured game of all sub-commanders ever since
                              Ugghh the Neanderthal took some of his buddies and
                              tried to run those upstart Cro-Magnon out of the
                              neighborhood.
                              "We coulda done it if the Boss hadn't
                              yaddayaddayadda".
                              This is called CYA, and it is an ancient military
                              tradition. Even Elting said that Robinson was talking
                              for posterity, not reality.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                                --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                                A few more victories like that, and we could have
                                moved the new US capital to Montreal!!

                                You have not accounted for the possibility that the
                                Americans might break and run, seeing over 10,000 well
                                trained veteran redcoats marhing at them might have
                                unnerved them. Seeing how the British soldiers
                                themselves did not think it would be a hard position
                                to take, or that the American force in front of them
                                was as tough as the French soldiers they had already
                                faced in Europe. At Bladensburgh there was a bridge
                                covered by an artillery piece. Did a lot of damage
                                too. There were only 5,000 recoats there, and Barney
                                and his men were the only ones that stuck around to
                                see how it all turned out. Considering what happened
                                there I suspect you would not be moving your capital
                                to Montreal anytime soon. I respect your opinion, I
                                just don't agree with it.

                                Rob Taylor

                                Rob Taylor

> [...]
                                > time-honoured game of all sub-commanders ever since
                                > Ugghh the Neanderthal took some of his buddies and
                                > tried to run those upstart Cro-Magnon out of the
                                > neighborhood.
                                > "We coulda done it if the Boss hadn't
                                > yaddayaddayadda".
                                > This is called CYA, and it is an ancient military
                                > tradition. Even Elting said that Robinson was
                                > talking
                                > for posterity, not reality.
                                >

                                > "...and every victory is followed by a retreat..."
                                >
                                > Fitz
                                >

                                > =====
                                > Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies
                                > Collectors Front and Marching Chorale
                                >
                                > "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"
                                >
                                > "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll
                                > leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. .
                                > . ."

                                > Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from

                                http://mail.yahoo.com/
                              • Fitzhugh MacCrae
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                                  --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:

                                  > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                                  > A few more victories like that, and we could have
                                  > moved the new US capital to Montreal!!
                                  >
                                  > You have not accounted for the possibility that the
                                  > Americans might break and run, seeing over 10,000
                                  > well
                                  > trained veteran redcoats marhing at them might have
                                  > unnerved them. Seeing how the British soldiers
                                  > themselves did not think it would be a hard position
                                  > to take, or that the American force in front of them
                                  > was as tough as the French soldiers they had already
                                  > faced in Europe. At Bladensburgh there was a bridge
                                  > covered by an artillery piece. Did a lot of damage
                                  > too. There were only 5,000 recoats there, and Barney
                                  > and his men were the only ones that stuck around to
                                  > see how it all turned out. Considering what happened
                                  > there I suspect you would not be moving your capital
                                  > to Montreal anytime soon. I respect your opinion, I
                                  > just don't agree with it.
                                  >
                                  > Rob Taylor
                                  At Plattsburg there was one gun (I think a 6pdr)
                                  manned by militia who didn't even know the proper
                                  drill. When captured it was muzzle in the dirt, trail
                                  in the air - the gunners had forgotten to put the
                                  powder bag in before ramming in the ball. Upon
                                  discovering their mistake, they tried to get the ball
                                  out by tipping the gun forward, where it got stuck.
                                  I've often imagined that some of the British
                                  casualties were from men who died laughing at this
                                  grade B comedy.
                                  At Plattsburg, Macomb wisely chose to send the two
                                  brigades of militia off into the woods, while manning
                                  the fortified line with regulars. He had an
                                  extraordinary artillery advantage, the British had to
                                  advance through bottlenecks just to get to the killing
                                  zones, and then hike 350 yards uphill against a
                                  defensive line most of which they couldn't even see
                                  and thus know was there until they hit the military
                                  crest. Of such situations are great military disasters
                                  made.
                                  As far as the regulars running, I very much doubt it.
                                  Macomb's people were just as well drilled as Brown's
                                  (Plattsburg was where the other camp of instruction
                                  had been established, run by Izard, who was a graduate
                                  of a French military school) and if neccesary would
                                  have died in place just like Scott's brigade at
                                  Lundy's Lane. The fact that these were Wellington's
                                  veterens was something that seems to have impressed
                                  nobody but the Maryland militia. A British offi9cer
                                  who had served in both Spain and the Niagara later
                                  said that fighting against American regulars was more
                                  fierce, much more bloody, and infinately worse than
                                  anything experienced in Spain.
                                  If Prevost attempted the attack anyway, it would not
                                  only have broken his army, the results would have
                                  broken England's heart.
                                  The one point in the whole mess that I find
                                  hysterically funny is that one the British side of the
                                  river, there was a road that headed west. A good road,
                                  much better than the one he had just come down. It
                                  went through the Aderondacks, and came out at
                                  Sackett's Harbor on the undefended landward side.
                                  If anyone - Prevost, Powers, Robinson, whoever - had
                                  thought to ask where the road went, they could have
                                  won the war in a month. At that moment, Sackett's
                                  Harbor was protected by a single brigade of regulars,
                                  some militia, a volunteer light infantry regiment, a
                                  dragoon depot squadron, several hundred replacements
                                  and recruits waiting to be sorted out and sent to
                                  other regiments, and the naval personnel. They
                                  landward defenses had been started, but would not be
                                  completed until December, 1814. Izard's division had
                                  already left for the Niagara. The door was wide open,
                                  nobody was expecting an attack, and the route from
                                  Sackett's Harbor suth was completely undefended. There
                                  would have been nothing between Prevost and New York
                                  City than some brittle NY militia.

                                  And nobody thought to ask, "By the way, my good man,
                                  where does that road go?"

                                  Nope - under the circumstances, they would have taken
                                  a beating if they had tried to force the river. Not
                                  because there was anything lacking in the men, but
                                  because their commanders were either too ignorant
                                  (Prevost) or too arrogant (Robinson, Powers, et al) to
                                  bother to examine all their options.
                                  Drummond, Ross, Packenham, Gibbs and Lambert would
                                  have never made that mistake, though Keane might have,
                                  and after Chippawa Riall really didn't want to mix it
                                  with American regulars again, and so would have not
                                  been a position to make the mistakes that were made at
                                  Plattsburg.

                                  Fitz

                                  =====

                                • easeufe@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 1, 2000
                                    mmathews@... writes:

                                    > I *think* this is where the Columbia was burned IIRC, and she was rated a
                                    > 44. Could easily be wrong.

                                    My apologies. You were right Mike. The Columbia was a 44 and was
                                    being built when she was burned. She was waiting her copper and upper
                                    works to be finished.

                                    Ed Seufert, LCpl
                                    1812 Royal Marines
                                  • Rob Taylor
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 2, 2000
                                      Like I said before Fitz, I respect your opinion,But I
                                      do not agree with it. Also I believe that the British
                                      officers who had served overseas were well aware of
                                      what they faced on the other side of the river at
                                      Plattsburgh. What saved Plattsburgh pure and simple is
                                      Prevost's decision to retreat back into Canada. Mind
                                      you, had he let the force attack they still would have
                                      had to retreat, but only after winning the victory on
                                      land. Nope - under the circumstances, to assume that
                                      the American force at Plattsburgh would have
                                      thoroughly beaten the British force is quite frankly,
                                      assuming alot.

                                      I enjoyed your post,

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com/
                                    • Dave Hill
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 6, 2000
                                        --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, mmathews@V... wrote:

                                        Hear, hear. The toadie Americans could only put out privateers and
                                        pirates.

                                        Having recently returned from holidays and spent almost a week
                                        catching up on the various discussions (over 500 messages), I would
                                        like to comment on one discussion.

                                        It seems to be generally accepted that the U.S. Navy had little
                                        difficulty gaining recruits. It would appear that the Navy had
                                        difficulty competing with the Army which was offering bounties that
                                        eventually reached $124.00 and 320 acres of land. It appears that
                                        even experienced sailors joined the Army for the bounty. The Navy had
                                        even more difficulty recruiting for the lake squadrons and the
                                        gunboat flotillas. The Navy didn't start paying bounties until
                                        1814.

                                        The major competition for men was from privateers. The cruises were
                                        much shorter (two or three months as compared to a one year
                                        enlistment in the Navy) and the pay was potentially much higher. Two
                                        examples are, the Yankee out of Bristol RI which captured eight ships
                                        worth $300,000.00, and the Rossie out of Baltimore (Capt. Joshua
                                        Barney)which captured eighteen vessels worth close to $1,500,000,00.
                                        On the negative side is the fact that the RN captured about 150
                                        privateers in the first eight months of the war. The U.S. Navy
                                        captured about 50 merchant ships during the war, while in the first
                                        six months privateers captured about 450 ships.
                                        Privateers didn't fight other privateers or warships if it could
                                        be avoided. They were in the business for profit not glory.

                                        Dave.