Re: [WarOf1812] War of 1812 Naval Battles

  • mmathews@VAX2.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
      (snip) I'm just
      >interested in learning about the battles, tactics and
      >things like that.
      >
      > Rob

      Agreed, naval tactics are a fascinating subject. So often, especially in
      single ship actions, finesse is the rule rather than hammering at a section
      of the enemy line till it gives. With your whole force wrapped up into a
      single fighting element (the ship) you just can't "take it to the foe"
      unless you know you have a real advantage in weight of fire, crew quality,
      etc.

      It's great stuff and a real pleasure to read about. Easy to sea why there
      is so much romaticism attached to the sea.

      Michael

      Voice: (507) 285-7585 Cel: (507) 450-3535 Fax: (507) 280-5568
      "It find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
      - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)