Naval battles

  • Ibbotson, Mark [LSS]
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
      Rob I do not know if Jame's book is still in print but i have seen the book you refer too but never bothered to read it. perhaps now i will.

      Superior frigates on the U.S side showed Britain a thing or two. Even some spectacular defeats "Perry" & constitution for a start.

      Britian did manage a successfull blockade in the end, 74 gun + men o war saw to that.
      You have to remember the states only had those bloody frigates and 1 v 1 against a british frigate showed who had superior designs.

      Also you could back up my theory that a lot of the U.S crews were British deserters, that goes for U.S land forces also.

      If only Yeo had the balls of Nelson eh.

      Ibbo
    • Ibbotson, Mark [LSS]
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
        I assumed that the battle of lake Eire was fought with british soldier slightly trained for the job of seamen against Perry and his mob, this mob been full of RN deserters. Does anyone have any real figures on this

        Ibbo
        52 NIAGARA fld battery
      • Schifferdecker, Patrick
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
          Rob,
          This book seems to give a balanced account & nice pictures too!
          Gardiner, Robert - Editor
          1998 The Naval War of 1812. Chatham. London