Re: [WarOf1812] U.C. "green" 1813 coats: wing colour

  • john gauthier
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
      You Toad;
      I am not suggesting the IMUC is Upper Canada Guards at all, only that the
      period appears to have only the Guards Regiments having reversed coloured
      wings. All other regiments appear to have coat-coloured wings whether they
      have green coats or red coats, the wings are the same colour as the coat.
      Check the Osprey Series of Wellington's Infantry. If you have a problem
      sue them, not me!
      John.
      ----------
      > From: yawors1@...
      > To: warof1812@egroups.com
      > Cc: sgtwarnr@...
      > Subject: [WarOf1812] U.C. "green" 1813 coats: wing colour
      > Date: August 31, 2000 11:24 AM
      >

      > Methinks that you and John are actually theorising along the same lines
      > i.e. only Guards regiments had wings of the facing colour.
      > I guess the problem with a green coat with red facings is: what is the
      > "facing" colour: John says, it's red, the coat is green, therefore wings
      > should be green. You, I gather, think the facing colour is still green;
      > that the coat has the reversed colours only because of a lamentable
      > shortage of cloth in the proper proportions; therefore the wings should
      > still be red...
      >
      > Interesting! I have posted this to the List to see what everybody
      > thinks...
      >
      > Jim
      > 1/41
      >

      > >From: "Craig Williams" <sgtwarnr@...>
      > >To: "JimYaworsky Chairperson" <the41stregt@...>
      > >Subject: Re: 1813 "Green" U.C. Militia Tunics: Wing Colour
      > >Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:33:56 -0500
      > >
      > >No actually it's based on the premise that only guards regiments had the
      > >facing colour on their wings.The IMUC is not the "Lower Canadas Guards"
      > and
      > >I think that if one follows what Mr. Feltoe has been saying is that even
      > the
      > >best accoutred Militias in Canada had spotty supply. I don't get what
      John
      > >is trying to say at all.
      > >Tuppence
      > >Craig

      square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
      of square miles...
    • john gauthier
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
        Would you kindly get your acts together and stay away from the rum. The
        Lower Canada Militia, like all other militias would have been happy to have
        coats of any colour, but they had coats of green with various facings for
        their number (I believe 7 different reg'ts). If their flank companies had
        wings they would have been of the tunic colour, not the facing colour. I
        can't imagine yellow or pink wings. Look it up; I can supply you with the
        facing colours of the LCM should you desire but after reading this junk I
        felt I had to reply post-haste without checking my references.
        Craig, you should know better.
        John.

        ----------
        > From: yawors1@...
        > To: warof1812@egroups.com
        > Cc: sgtwarnr@...
        > Subject: [WarOf1812] U.C. "green" 1813 coats: wing colour
        > Date: August 31, 2000 11:24 AM
        >

        > Methinks that you and John are actually theorising along the same lines
        > i.e. only Guards regiments had wings of the facing colour.
        > I guess the problem with a green coat with red facings is: what is the
        > "facing" colour: John says, it's red, the coat is green, therefore wings
        > should be green. You, I gather, think the facing colour is still green;
        > that the coat has the reversed colours only because of a lamentable
        > shortage of cloth in the proper proportions; therefore the wings should
        > still be red...
        >
        > Interesting! I have posted this to the List to see what everybody
        > thinks...
        >
        > Jim
        > 1/41
        >

        > >From: "Craig Williams" <sgtwarnr@...>
        > >To: "JimYaworsky Chairperson" <the41stregt@...>
        > >Subject: Re: 1813 "Green" U.C. Militia Tunics: Wing Colour
        > >Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:33:56 -0500
        > >
        > >No actually it's based on the premise that only guards regiments had the
        > >facing colour on their wings.The IMUC is not the "Lower Canadas Guards"
        > and
        > >I think that if one follows what Mr. Feltoe has been saying is that even
        > the
        > >best accoutred Militias in Canada had spotty supply. I don't get what
        John
        > >is trying to say at all.
        > >Tuppence
        > >Craig

        square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
        of square miles...
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
          No name calling John.
          Yes you are right and I apologise for my previous posts and I will plead
          that exhaustion has caused my lapse of attention.
          And when did you become so fascinated by amphibians?
          >I am not suggesting the IMUC is Upper Canada Guards at all, only that the
          >period appears to have only the Guards Regiments having reversed coloured
          >wings. All other regiments appear to have coat-coloured wings whether they
          >have green coats or red coats, the wings are the same colour as the coat.
          >Check the Osprey Series of Wellington's Infantry. If you have a problem
          >sue them, not me!
          >John.
          >----------
          >> From: yawors1@...
          >> To: warof1812@egroups.com
          >> Cc: sgtwarnr@...
          >> Subject: [WarOf1812] U.C. "green" 1813 coats: wing colour
          >> Date: August 31, 2000 11:24 AM
          >>

          >> Methinks that you and John are actually theorising along the same lines
          >> i.e. only Guards regiments had wings of the facing colour.
          >> I guess the problem with a green coat with red facings is: what is the
          >> "facing" colour: John says, it's red, the coat is green, therefore wings
          >> should be green. You, I gather, think the facing colour is still green;
          >> that the coat has the reversed colours only because of a lamentable
          >> shortage of cloth in the proper proportions; therefore the wings should
          >> still be red...
          >>
          >> Interesting! I have posted this to the List to see what everybody
          >> thinks...
          >>
          >> Jim
          >> 1/41
          >>

          >> >From: "Craig Williams" <sgtwarnr@...>
          >> >To: "JimYaworsky Chairperson" <the41stregt@...>
          >> >Subject: Re: 1813 "Green" U.C. Militia Tunics: Wing Colour
          >> >Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:33:56 -0500
          >> >
          >> >No actually it's based on the premise that only guards regiments had the
          >> >facing colour on their wings.The IMUC is not the "Lower Canadas Guards"
          >> and
          >> >I think that if one follows what Mr. Feltoe has been saying is that even
          >> the
          >> >best accoutred Militias in Canada had spotty supply. I don't get what
          >John
          >> >is trying to say at all.
          >> >Tuppence
          >> >Craig
          >> >

          >> The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
          >of square miles...

          square miles...